Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaming taxi drivers holding the city to ransom Ggrrrrr...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The decent taximen who really are finding it hard to manage are out working today, not holding the city to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Let me start by saying Im not a public service or civil service employee, but If said employees are being benchmarked against their European counterparts...

Then there is not good reason why the same should not be done for taxis. i.e. The fares should be dropped so that a taxi journey In Portugal or Spain should be the same here...

Ive just asked the Same Question of the Minister of Transport, so we will see how he replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Lol maki u can't blame me for trying to defend myself.

No I can't, but maybe think about changing your user name to 'Bernard Dunne' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ah I get back up for more hence blah blah. Lol. Maybe a lock and bin before I keep going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

EF wrote: »
    No sympathy for the taxi drivers, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to become a half decent one. If they charged a fair price then Im sure the industry would be thriving but when it costs about 10 times what it would on public transport for the same trip i know where my money will be going. Why not hold a protest up in Merrion Square where the government are rather than in the centre of the city.
    In Spain I happily tip the drivers cos they charge a fair price and the taxi's are always clean and the drivers are polite.

The taxi regulator sets the price per fare.
    Do you not read the material that they have enforced, to be visible in all taxi cabs?
    see the seal on all meters?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Taxi regulater sets the maximum fare. Nothing to stop you charging less.
    Every other business in the country are cutting prices to get business the Taxi men should do likewise & stop wanting everyone else to sort out their problems.
    You have to laugh though, they must be the only self employed people I know who go on strike. :D

Lots are offering 20% of including myself

Lads this is a forum for discussion of topics relating to Dublin City - bring the thread back on topic or I'll lock it and you can rant & whing in another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

koolkid wrote: »
    The Taxi regulater sets the maximum fare. Nothing to stop you charging less.
    Every other business in the country are cutting prices to get business the Taxi men should do likewise & stop wanting everyone else to sort out their problems.
    You have to laugh though, they must be the only self employed people I know who go on strike. :D

Dropping prices is great for the guys you call to get into town.
    How does his dropping fares help him against the guys who only drive friday and sat night, to make up some extra cash? You will not be willing to wiat half an hour for him, in the rain, to come and get you. You will jump into the part timer, who will not know the route and is not too pushed about the extra income, that he is getting

Go for the lock lol

• Advertisement

Go for the lock

And bail you out of it, lol.

Not a chance buddy, you've dug your own hole this time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Go for the lock

Why? Cause things aren't going your way? Look, people do feel for you, things are bad, but making life difficult for everyone else is seen as selfish and greedy. I will be avoiding taxi's as much as I can from here on in because of your actions.

Lol I don't think I've dug a hole. Spoke my feelings. As we have said before don't mean to cause ao much hassle but if we get news we will move. Y are they taking there time? Not bothered to sort out the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lol I don't think I've dug a hole. Spoke my feelings. As we have said before don't mean to cause ao much hassle but if we get news we will move. Y are they taking there time? Not bothered to sort out the problems?
    Not interested in encouraging illegal protests. And you did mean to cause so much hassle, if you didn't mean to cause hassle you have this protest outside of working hours - say sat/sun or between 9pm - 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh really? That's funny. Didn't know till workers transfer real people and life saving products around the country funny that

LMAO.

Those Doctors and Nurses got nothing on you.

Zulu we have had over 10 protests and got no attention. We started at the dail yesterday morning got no response so stepped it up

noodler wrote: »
    LMAO.

Those Doctors and Nurses got nothing on you.

Doctors or nurses don't do what the issue was about at that time.. I bet you ya would be grateful if it was your babys life we helped in saving.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

lightening wrote: »
    Why? Cause things aren't going your way? Look, people do feel for you, things are bad, but making life difficult for everyone else is seen as selfish and greedy. I will be avoiding taxi's as much as I can from here on in because of your actions.
    I agree. Even when you do get a taxi now you have to listen to them crying poverty the whole time. Its now a free market people can work part time or full time if they want to. Did they pay for their plate just like the rest of you.
    With so many out of work you should be gratefull you have a means of making income.

You don't have to listen to them crying. Worse fool u if u do.
    Yea your right we have a means to make money but soon we won't and that's what were fighting for just like other sit in protests etc when jobs were goIng

Ok back on topic.

There is about 20 cars on o connel st rank and another 25 wrapped around them on the outside lane. So just around the rank is blocked off.

So comment on this topic let's go

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Doctors or nurses don't do what the issue was about at that time.. I bet you ya would be grateful if it was your babys life we helped in saving.

Any chance you could repeat that in a form of English I can actually understand?

In any case I think you missed the point.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Any chance you could repeat that in a form of English I can actually understand?

In any case I think you missed the point.

STFU & stop that crap.

Lads, for YOUR sanity as much as my own I'm going to lock the thread for a few hours.

Lets all chill out, sharpen our weapons and rest for battle later - we'll see how todays taxi protests work out for the city first eh!.

Locked - for awhile.

/Blahblah - lick your wounds buddy, you've been dealt a good ol' roasting!.

[IMG][/img]open.gif

Play clean.

Ok back on topic.

It's raining, it's Friday, it's coming up to rush hour, money to be made... Taxi traffic blockage called off early.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Was it not called off because the lackeys from the transport department met with the protesters, the point of the intial protest being held outside their offices yesterday morning, before it escalated to O'Connell St overnight?

Or is it just a barbed referal to " Oh look it's Friday they'll all be going back to work now! "

For whatever reason, the damage is done. Lots of respect lost for the taxi drivers in Dublin. Anyone I have talked to will be making an extra effort to wait that bit longer for the bus to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Zulu we have had over 10 protests and got no attention. We started at the dail yesterday morning got no response so stepped it up
    By causing maxium disruption to everybody else; by holding everyone else to ransom.

You don't like fair competition, so you're going to disrupt the traffic of the capital. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was reading the taxi thread over in the commuting and transport forum, and was sickened to read the level of intimidation and violence directed at the decent drivers who were working yesterday.

i am horrified and you all should be ashamed of yourselves

i have no time for bullies

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

Its a real pity people don't stick together when others are hurting nobody has a safe job at the moment.
    Getting on forums and radio and saying you will never use a taxi is stupid as we all know very few people use or like to pay for a taxi by choice or anything else for that matter.
    Taxi drivers were left with no choice but to protest ... it did not have to come to that.
    We have cowen on tv saying people in dispute should talk but nobody was willing to talk to the taxi drivers.
    A job is only worthwhile if you get paid a wage and right now taxi drivers earn very little.
    Hours and hours of driving around and earning nothing because every corner you trun there are 20 or more yellow lights ahead of you.

What we all should be asking here is why did dept of transport not talk to the drivers.
    What are the dept of transport and the regulator doing to fix the mess they created?
    If we want a fair society we need to work with other and that means we may have a little discomfort.

I seen taxi drivers at the protest move a car with their bare hands to allow a car with an emergency pass by.. how easy we forget the good things taxi drivers do.

We have many sections of society unhappy at the moment so blame the Government.
    This a little saying i picked up on another forum think about it.

The eye-lid should never block the mind. It should and could only block the eye

kajo wrote: »
    Its a real pity people don't stick together when others are hurting nobody has a safe job at the moment.

Everyone is hurting, "sticking together"? I don't see much solidarity being shown to the people of Dublin by the taxi drivers, blocking them from going about their business, this has cost millions and things are bad enough.
    Getting on forums and radio and saying you will never use a taxi is stupid

It's a natural reaction to the actions taken.

I seen taxi drivers at the protest move a car with their bare hands to allow a car with an emergency pass by

And it could have been to late for whoever needed the Ambulance/Fire truck/cop car. The shouldn't have been blocking the roads in the first place.

Here is a little saying I picked up. People should not bully other people to get their way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's cleans and lubricates the eye and keeps dust out too. Handy in windy situations when shoight is getting blown about for these reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement