Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Childminder available"

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ladies,

I have intentionally posted here because i need the majority of posting to come from yourselves.

I have a neighbour who is out of work. My neighbour was in with me today.My has 2 kids, My neighbours other half is still in work and figured a way of making money would be a child minding service. You know look after the kids and feed them change nappy etc. All the associated stuff. Straight away I imagined my neighbour would be unsuccessful but did not know the amount of work my neighbour has already done on this.

My neighbour advertised as "Childminder Available" Will look after babies from 2 yrs old. Will collect your child from school. Feed your child and look after him till you come in. The advert is slightly different but you catch the drift.

Nothing unusual about the advert. My neighbour has received 15 calls since posting the advert monday and they have all roughly started and ended the same.
    Caller: "Hello, can i speak to the lady who minds the kids!" Childminder: "Its not a lady its me" The husband!

No one has taken him up on the offer yet!

I would like to ask, would you.

when commenting

if so why did you choose to?

If not why did you choose not?

Would you allow my neighbour mind your kids 4 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I voted no, purely because, while I don't have kids, I can only imagine I'd want a childminder to be someone recommended by a friend of a friend or something, not some randomer.
    Wouldn't be an issue of gender for me, I'm sure there are loads of bad female minders as well as good male ones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from tLL, as I don't feel the issue of who does the childminding is female specific.

Mods, feel free to move it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Silverfish wrote: »
    Moved from tLL, as I don't feel the issue of who does the childminding is female specific.

Mods, feel free to move it back.

I disagree with your decision. Childminding while not female specific is controlled by the majority decision of the women. I think moving it will also effect the result as will be shown.

I also think that by letting it stay where it was it could be shown to women specific that there poor ability to trust men to mind kids is what is keeping the stigma of "Women in the home" attached, I think that the change in the economy is a chance for women to change this,

But then as i say its only my opinion and is being proved in theory by the responses to my neighbours advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

So he has no references? No, I would not let him mind my kids (if I had any!!)

If I heard of an experienced qualified male childminder who had good references, preferably from parents who I knew personally, I can't imagine that I'd let his gender put me off.

But I can't see why I'd trust my kids with a random person without experience or references, when there are plenty of experienced childminders out there who I could get references from. I would think that that's probably why he's had no success so far.

And yeah, of course it might be partly due to a gender bias too ... but that's probably not the only factor.

So he has no references? No, I would not let him mind my kids (if I had any!!)

If I heard of an experienced qualified male childminder who had good references, preferably from parents who I knew personally, I can't imagine that I'd let his gender put me off.

But I can't see why I'd trust my kids with a random person without experience or references, when there are plenty of experienced childminders out there who I could get references from. I would think that that's probably why he's had no success so far.

And yeah, of course it might be partly due to a gender bias too ... but that's probably not the only factor.

Good point! No i suppose he has no references. He is a mechanic by trade. But as I say he has kids. Its the kinda advert you see in the shop.
    I cant speak for his experience except say his own kids are well looked after.

Is that the case then! Nobody leaves their kids with a childminder unless they are experienced and have qualifications. Its interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Good point! No i suppose he has no references. He is a mechanic by trade. But as I say he has kids. Its the kinda advert you see in the shop.
    I cant speak for his experience except say his own kids are well looked after.

I don't doubt you that they are well looked after, but unfortunately, his prospective clients only have his word to take for it. Sadly just because someone has kids, does not automatically make them a good parent.

Also, parents are going to prefer someone who has a background in childcare, and therefore a long-term interest in it, rather than someone who has been "pushed" into it by their employment circumstances.
    Is that the case then! Nobody leaves their kids with a childminder unless they are experienced and have qualifications. Its interesting.

Well, yes, I can see why parents would look for the most qualified experienced person when it comes to the care of their children. There isn't a lack of qualified childminders out there, as far as I know, so it wouldn't really make sense to go for someone without qualifications or experience.

Now I'm not saying that a childminder with qualifications and experience are even necessarily going to be all that good at the job - which is why references come in handy too.

Your neighbour is going to find it difficult to compete against other childminders who have all these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

As a childcare provider myself I would have no issue with a male childminder or indeed employing a male member of childcare staff. I have seen men working in childcare and doing a great job. To me it would be about the experience and training they have and also how they interact with the children. Also all childcare staff must be garda vetted, child protection and first aid trained.

If he is just doing it to earn a few bob, has he the above bacis training done, what about childming insurance? If not I would not want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Completely honestly, I'd be more weary of a man than a woman.
    I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand, but I'd definitely be looking for references, a background check etc. Thnking about it, I would probably hire him if I had word-of-mouth to recommedn him, but not based on an advert in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Last Summer, my husband's 18-year-old nephew minded my two older children (the youngest is only 2 and in a creche full time). He was great- kept them safe, entertained them and cooked for them.
    Regarding OP's neighbour, if I knew him well and my children got on with his children (plus they were older than, say, 6yo) and was good with children and sensitive to their needs, I would be happy to let him mind mine.
    I consider my husband far better with children than I am!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I would say no, nothing to with it being a him.

it does mention anything about first qualifications, childcare qualifications, previous experience and references. he doesnt mention how many kids he will be looking after?

i would also need to see the house, check that it was clean, no exposed wirese etc.

you should see what the HSE Reports show up for creches, so i could only imagine some houses would be worse.

Far too many unknowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

The only people I'd be leaving my (hypothetical) kids with would be a qualified childminder or family member. Gender doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Woudn't have any problem in theory with a male childminder. However I would expect:

1. References
    2. Garda Check and
    3. Word of mouth from someone I know.

Plus if he is an out of work mechanic, first thing I would think of is- if he gets a job as a mechanic is he finished child minding? Continuity is very important for children.

Finally, as a male there could be some pluses which he should emphasise- for eg he might be into football or some kind of outdoor activity that parents would like. Too often with childminders it is in someones home, they are minding the children but they are also running their home, so they are busy cooking, cleaning etc. They don't necessarily actually organise and carry out physical activities with the children. That would be a major advantage to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would have an issue with a male childminder, purely because of gender. That's just being honest.

That said, one who came highly recommended from a very trusted source might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

But from what the OP is saying, the callers aren't even getting as far as asking about qualifications or references?

As soon as they hear its a man, they don't take it any further - is that correct?

That would indicate that the no. 1 priority for those responding to the advert is that the childminder is a woman.

Kildrought wrote: »
    But from what the OP is saying, the callers aren't even getting as far as asking about qualifications or references?

As soon as they hear its a man, they don't take it any further - is that correct?

That would indicate that the no. 1 priority for those responding to the advert is that the childminder is a woman.

This is spot on. To be honest. I dont know about insurence etc. I dont think he has any qualifications other than a mecanic. His reason for talking to me was that he is clearly getting the calls. Which implies that qualification is not an issue as he never gets to discuss this. The real issue is the fact that he is a man.

This is the underlying issue for him and speaks a lot. he feels that regardless of weather he is qualified or not he is going up against a form of gender biased. Honestly! If he was a qualified as a lady, and the lady was half a mile up the road further would you travel the distance? I think we would

But then this highlites other problems. Are women the only people to mind kids? Is this not creating another gender biased situation?

Do you catch the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

He's a mechanic and I am a female that did work experience in a garage as a mechanic and I got awful funny looks when people saw me in my overalls! Its just what we all expect to be the norm....men fix cars, women mind children. Right or wrong thats what we assume to be the case.

foxy06 wrote: »
    He's a mechanic and I am a female that did work experience in a garage as a mechanic and I got awful funny looks when people saw me in my overalls! Its just what we all expect to be the norm....men fix cars, women mind children. Right or wrong thats what we assume to be the case.

Well said thank you for your honestly but do you really realise the implications of what you are actually saying.

In otherwords, Imagine if this was a man saying this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It's sickening to think of all the poor parents that trusted this female, qualified childcare worker

kelle wrote: »
    It's sickening to think of all the poor parents that trusted this female, qualified childcare worker

It is terriable i agree extremes will always exist and this is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Well said thank you for your honestly but do you really realise the implications of what you are actually saying.

In otherwords, Imagine if this was a man saying this!

I agree but its not what I think its just the way it is. If you think of a nurse you automatically imagine a female and a builder you would think of a male. Most people would have no problem hiring a female builder or having a male nurse but I suppose when its your kids you want things to be "normal".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

It seems the majority don't trust men. Many say it has nothing to do with a him or I woludn't choose a man.

WHY?

You just wouldn't.

Are you sure that is all. I think we all know why you wouldn't trust men but I'm sure there are plently of closet peado females around too.

Crotchety wrote: »
    It seems the majority don't trust men. Many say it has nothing to do with a him or I woludn't choose a man.

WHY?

You just wouldn't.

Are you sure that is all. I think we all know why you wouldn't trust men but I'm sure there are plently of closet peado females around too.

This is my thought and its the exact reason why women will always have to deal with the childminder roll and men the worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

I wouldnt be too happy about any unqualified child minder doing the job alone.
    I definitely wouldnt let a man do the job (alone or not), no matter what qualifications he had.

I know a few people who were abused as children. In all cases it was a trusted male who was the abuser. Never a woman.
    Just being honest here.

But it would be interesting to see some wider stats on what sex your children are most at risk being left alone with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Of 120 in our school who studied childcare last year only one was male. I'd have no problem with it to be honest. Possibility my father will mind my baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

shellyboo wrote: »
    The only people I'd be leaving my (hypothetical) kids with would be a qualified childminder or family member. Gender doesn't come into it.

As a mother myself I agree with this post. I am very protective of my son, especially since he is so young he is defenseless.

When it comes time for creche or something I will be looking for everything said by other posters too!

I suppose the few horror stories about men would play on a few peoples minds.

But the greatest factor on gender bias, mostly on my own behalf is that in my eyes, women are nurturers by nature and are protectors. I know there are exceptions to both rules and I know I am being old-fashioned but that is just my opinion. Its not gospel........yet(!):D;)

Does it not make sense to you that all these reasons you would not use a male childminder are the reasons that are forceing you to stay at home...

Just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Does it not make sense to you that all these reasons you would not use a male childminder are the reasons that are forceing you to stay at home...

Just a thought!

I love being with my little man, it means I can make sure he is eating well, sleeping well and getting enough attention. It does make trying to get back to college a b!tch though:)

With the way the country is gone, I believe parents of young children may be forced to consider one parent stying at home with the children as childcare costs are phenomenal with the insurance premiums and everything.

Advertisement