Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network cards

Options
  • 01-10-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Building new computer at the moment. Have everything bought except a means to connect to the internet which needs to be wireless as unfortunately i won't be able to connect it directly into the router in the house. Any recommendations for wireless network cards or should i just get a good dongle? I presume that a card would generally work better?

This is what i had in mind.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Theres no difference between card and dongel.Cards take up a PCI card on your board and dongle's take up a USB port.That Wireless N one you picked looks good though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Theres no difference between card and dongel.Cards take up a PCI card on your board and dongle's take up a USB port.That Wireless N one you picked looks good though :)

Thanks for the reply.

I know there's no difference in terms of actual functionality - I meant more in terms of the quality of the connection per euro spent. I'll take a look at the motherboard and decide based on how many PCI slots will be free.

And the card that i chose looks almost too good tbh, up to 300Mbps really?! i guess it does have 2 antennae! :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also better if you're far away and/or have walls between you and the router... so long as the router itself is wireless-N too! Otherwise the card will be limited by the range and speed of the router anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Also better if you're far away and/or have walls between you and the router... so long as the router itself is wireless-N too! Otherwise the card will be limited by the range and speed of the router anyway :o

ya was gonna say this!

If you only have a g router then just get a g wireless card! I use g and it's really fine! Never have problems with unstable ping anyway!

Some tescos have some Belkin wireless usb adapters for only €25. That's cheap for bricks and mortar

Or this for 22.5 delivered tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i had a usb one and to be honest, it wasn't great in that it would disconnect itself if it got hot, tempermental etc. Got a pci from komplett for 16 and works a dream. Maybe just the dongle I got....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

TheDriver wrote: »
    i had a usb one and to be honest, it wasn't great in that it would disconnect itself if it got hot, tempermental etc. Got a pci from komplett for 16 and works a dream. Maybe just the dongle I got....

I've had a couple of different usb ones and they've been fine. Even a €5 one from ebay was giving 97%-100% connection!

It's the same with all tech you get, good ones and bad ones...
    luck of the draw i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd prefer USB as you can move it around to get the best signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought PCI cards could deal with more of the donkey work than USB cards, which would offload as much as possible to the CPU? I've heard of bad stories with drivers causing most of a core to be occupied with the wifi utility.

Advertisement