Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Floors in a Caravan

Options
  • 01-10-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

A friend of mine is planning to put wooden floors in a segment of her caravan (it is a static structure with no wheels so fairly large). THe area she wishes to cover is roughly 3m Sq. however she is wondering what type of wood would best suit.

The main issue is that during the winter the caravan gets quite humid (due to no ventilation and the condensation that builds up while cooking etc.). She plans to put a layer of insualtion between the existing plywood floor and the wooden finish to try and add some insulation to her home however is worried that the condensation will warp the new flooring.

I had suggested she use a waterproofing paint (not sure of the exact terminology) on the plywood prior to putting in the insulation however I am not sure if this will help or exacerbate matters .

Firstly I would like to ask is it advisable to use this waterproofing (primarily to stop any outside dampness from entering the flooring from below)?

And secondly is there a particular tyoe of wood that is more resisitant to warpping than others?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

get an engineered floor that can be used in a bathroom. this will rule out the moisture risk damaging the floor.

the other problem you have is that when you put the floor on make sure that you have clearance with the doors.

its easy to plane off the extra bit on the wooden doors. but i am assuming that the external door of the caravan is metal and if it opens into the caravan you will have to be sure that if you put the floor down the door will still be able to open without scraping off your new floor

Advertisement