Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling mods for Xbox 360? - Necessary?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi all,

I have recently bought and modified an xbox Elite (newest chipset); and I'm wondering does this accelerate the likelihood of RROD to the point that I should consider a cooling mod?

I am not sure what to do here, would probably go for something external rather than mess with the internal workings, as I've also heard this can do more damage than good.

Can someone in the know give me some learned opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Don't know too much about cooling but I assume you have installed all your games to the HD? This can reduce heat from the spinning disk tray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mark_T_147

Yeah Ive just started doing this, it makes a HUGE difference so far.

What size are the games when they're on disk? ~5-7GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah, usually around that size. You'll have plenty of room on your elite HD anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Those External ones do more harm than good if you were brave enough u could put a in liquid cooling system :D

liquid_cooled_xbox_360_display.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mark_T_147 wrote: »
    Yeah Ive just started doing this, it makes a HUGE difference so far.

What size are the games when they're on disk? ~5-7GB?

I presume you still need the original disc in the drive, to authenticate a run from the HDD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Yep and if you eject the disc you return to the dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

what version do you have ? is it a jasper model? the newer chipsets dont really suffer from overheating like the old ones as they have a smaller die cpu/gpu, so you should be ok without a cooling solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mark_T_147

gline wrote: »
    what version do you have ? is it a jasper model? the newer chipsets dont really suffer from overheating like the old ones as they have a smaller die cpu/gpu, so you should be ok without a cooling solution

Yah it's a jasper chipset; I had heard they are far more reliable nowadays... I also install every game I play to the HD too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Mark_T_147 wrote: »
    Yah it's a jasper chipset; I had heard they are far more reliable nowadays... I also install every game I play to the HD too...
    you should be fine then, they dont run as hot as the older models

Advertisement