Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security alarm question on behalf of a mate

Options
  • 01-10-2009 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so he's got a .410, 2 12gauges, and a .243. He's got the cabinet, but will also need deadbolts on the external doors according to Des Crofton and also an alarm.

The alarm is the problem. Dealer I was to last night suggested it would be enough to just alarm the gun cabinet. I can't find any standards mentioned for the alarms for 4 gun security. The alarm guy can install anything he wants but my friend doesn't know what to go for or what will be accepted.

Anyone got a clue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    Right, so he's got a .410, 2 12gauges, and a .243. He's got the cabinet, but will also need deadbolts on the external doors according to Des Crofton and also an alarm.

The alarm is the problem. Dealer I was to last night suggested it would be enough to just alarm the gun cabinet. I can't find any standards mentioned for the alarms for 4 gun security. The alarm guy can install anything he wants but my friend doesn't know what to go for or what will be accepted.

Anyone got a clue?

for four guns, none being restricted he requires a zone alarm for the area in which the gunsafe is mounted afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The legislation refers to the word "Place", because of that there is an argument that literally "the place" i.e the cabinet need only be alarmed. The guidance document is not clear at all in relation to it.(fact it says nothing)

The alarm safe/cabinet deal negotiated by the NARGC is in relation to the supply of a safe and alarming of a safe.(see below wording)

The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

And once you dont go past 5 guns or x restricted it's an alarm, not a xxx type alarm,fitted to xxxx so in theory nip down to Argos (used as an example only) its only when you hit the higher end do you need to go the whole shebang compliance with a certain standard etc etc

I personally think, its daft to only alarm a safe, but thats only me.
    My house is alarmed with shock sensors doors and windows and pir in rooms etc. The safe isnt alarmed but you have to get past the alrms to get to it.

Lets wait and see, we are all due a visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

johngalway wrote: »

Anyone got a clue?

[FONT=&quot]I’m in a similar position to your mate, with one restricted and 3 non-restricted guns. I’ve two 12gs., a 20g and a restricted .22 (rimfire semi-auto that is restricted because it holds more than 10 rounds). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I disagree with the stuff on the alarm. I wondered about this before, regarded it as another bit of shoddy law draftsmanship, but didn’t want to add to the confusion. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Regs state that “One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms” require that “Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.” [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The next category is “Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms” and it is only then that the alarm requirement kicks in “Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I reckon that the first description fits me and your mate. I’ve no idea if THEY will accept this, but I’m prepared to argue my case on the use of “and” & “or” .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I do have an alarm (but it needs fixing!) and my safe is well hidden. Plus no intruders in almost 30 years touch wood[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Rs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]K.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

quote=pedroeibar;62352235][font=&quot]I’m in a similar position to your mate, with one restricted and 3 non-restricted guns. I’ve two 12gs., a 20g and a restricted .22 (rimfire semi-auto that is restricted because it holds more than 10 rounds). [/font]
    why don't you get a mag that holds 10 rounds or less:confused: be a lot less hassle

quote=pedroeibar;62352235][font=&quot]I’m in a similar position to your mate, with one restricted and 3 non-restricted guns. I’ve two 12gs., a 20g and a restricted .22 (rimfire semi-auto that is restricted because it holds more than 10 rounds). [/font]
    why don't you get a mag that holds 10 rounds or less:confused: be a lot less hassle

It's a tube mag, on a Marlin 60, holds 18 and cannot be modified. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60

I've also convinced myself that having a restricted rifle will make my eventual application for a bigger bore easier. ;) Now all I need is the funds and the HCAP.:)
    P.

• Advertisement

I should be more precise - it's actually a Marlin 99C which is the upmarket version of the 60 - [FONT=&quot] produced from 1961-78. The Model 99C has Micro-Grooved rifling, a gold-plated trigger and walnut stocks instead of birch. In 1963, the standard-style stock was replaced with a Monte Carlo-type stock and in 1964, the Model 99C acquired grooves for a scope mount.
    P.
    [/FONT]

Advertisement