Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a portable DVD player to the UK - Who pays for the shipping?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

I have to send a faulty Tevion portable DVD player that I bought in Aldi back in June to the after sales company to repair or replace the unit. They told me to send it back to them it was only after I spoke to the lady I thought about the shipping cost, the unit itself only cost €59 so the inevitable €12-€15 shipping cost I'll have to pay tomorrow is a substantial percentage of the cost of the unit in the first place, is there any obligation on the repair company to collect the unit for repair or do i have to take the hit on the shipping?
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

if its faulty then they should pay... where did u buy it as should bring it back to the store and they are obligated to send it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

chris85 wrote: »
    if its faulty then they should pay... where did u buy it as should bring it back to the store and they are obligated to send it back

Exactly, you bought it from ALDI, not the after sales place, ALDI need to deal with it and organise shipping and the rest, it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You shouldn't have to send it yourself, you bring it to where you bought it and they get it repaired, replaced, or refund you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should really return it to an Aldi store. However, if you do send it off for repair, then Tevion should cover the cost of returning it for repair. You may have to pay it initially out of your own pocket, but they should then reimburse you. This is your entitlement under European Consumer Law - I'll try to find a link to it later (maybe some other poster could help me out?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Just an update on this - I contacted their support department (Tevion use a crowd called fascin8 ltd) in fairness they are very good, I asked about the cost of returning and the took my details and are shipping a prepaid courier label to my house.
    I don't know why the lady I spoke to in the same company yesterday didn't tell me about this, maybe it's a cost saving thing, don't offer the prepaid label unless the customer asks sort of thing. Anyway if any one has to return any Tevion or Medion goods bought in Aldi or Lidl they provide a pick up and return service, you may just need to ask specifically for it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I had to return an electronic item , bought in Lidl, to their German support agency and at the time I logged the call I was told to scan the postage receipt and email them for refund.

The refund came after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

All these foreign stores seem to do the same, once you buy an item they never want to see you again (not just Aldi and Lidl there's PC World etc.).

It is your right under the "Sale of Goods Act 1980" to return a faulty item to the seller to have either repaired or replaced at their cost. They are entitled to repair the item and if it is still deemed faulty and not fit for the purpose that it is intended then they will have to replace the item.
    If you get no satisfaction with the seller you can take a case against them at the Small Claims court for a small fee (I think around €12). Your rights are further enhanced by Euro law whereby you can buy an item in any EU country and if faulty it will have to be repaired or replaced similar to our Sale of Goods Act, this means if you buy in Aldi in any EU state you only need to take it your local store where they are obliged to look after you.

Good luck;)

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    All these foreign stores seem to do the same, once you buy an item they never want to see you again (not just Aldi and Lidl there's PC World etc.).

It is your right under the "Sale of Goods Act 1980" to return a faulty item to the seller to have either repaired or replaced at their cost. They are entitled to repair the item and if it is still deemed faulty and not fit for the purpose that it is intended then they will have to replace the item.
    If you get no satisfaction with the seller you can take a case against them at the Small Claims court for a small fee (I think around €12). Your rights are further enhanced by Euro law whereby you can buy an item in any EU country and if faulty it will have to be repaired or replaced similar to our Sale of Goods Act, this means if you buy in Aldi in any EU state you only need to take it your local store where they are obliged to look after you.

Good luck;)

TBH Aldi and Lidl have the best no quibble return policy in Ireland, you can return an item within a year for a no questions asked refund once you have a receipt, even if it still functions fine but you just don't want it any more. I didn't want a refund for this DVD player as it's worth its weight in gold in the car with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I've nothing good to say for Aldi's products - in the last year I bought a non-playing-CD-player and a leaking aquarium. I do have good things to say about their returns policy - took items back with no complaint both times. The aquarium was missing the filter, all packaging, all accessories, and they still took it back. Head down the the shop and let us know what they say.

Advertisement