Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Heat Dumps - more than one option

• 01-10-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Folks, I've read with interest several threads which discuss the option of a 'heat dump'. I've come across the following very useful article (http://www.kingspansolar.com/pdf/20527_ks-technical-thermo.pdf) which describes two options (see pages 39 & 40). I've also 'dreamed up' a third option which I would like to put forward for comment.

Option A : the one commonly discussed here. Put a radiator of the solar side with a 3 way diverter valve. Assuming you controller has a temp sensor and output for the diverter valve then you obviously need a additional radiator and 3 way valve.

Option B : use a radiator on the central heating side (as shown in the above referenced link). Not an option I've seen before. But as a variation on this I was thinking could you use the output from your controller to just switch on your central heating pump. Assuming you don't have an actuated valve (closed) on the circuit then all your central heating radiators would act as a heat dump. The advantage of this is that you don't need any additional hardware (3 way valves or radiators).

Option C : similar to Option A, but instead of using a 3-way valve to circulate through a dedicated radiator, use the actuated valve on the supply out of the cylinder to just dump the contents of the cylinder down the drain. The cylinder will then be replenished with cold water which will allow the solar side to cool down. The advantage of this is that you don't need a dedicated radiator in the attic.

Of the above I think that the option of just running your central heating pump seems to be the easiest. What do you think (Quentin, are you out there?).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 kevymoss

provided no zoning on the heating system, just use the central heating pump. If there is zoning by pass the valves and use a pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Yes, I have seen systems using the domestic heating system as a heat dump. There are just two downsides to this;

1) You are now running two pumps and doubling your electricity useage (though only for a very short time)
    2) You have to be sure that the system will always work in such a way that this succeeds in dumping the heat. For example if a subsequent householder installed TRVs on all the radiators, or implemented flow control, then the system would no longer work.

I would always encourage householders to put a motorised valve on the feed from the boiler to the cylinder, and people are being encouraged to introduce zones where they don't currently exist.

Lastly, if you do decide to use the central heating pump, and are feeding this using your solar controller, you need to ensure that either
    1) they both are on the same fused circuit (otherwise if they both switch on the pump at once, you are parallelling two fuses and sometimes one will be working on an ELCB while the other isn't) or
    2) Use a relay.

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Oh - and the only thing wrong with dumping water from the cylinder is that it is, of course, wasting water. May not matter in some situations (ours comes under gravity from a mountain spring, and the more we use, the better the drainage in our top fields) but generally we need to conserver water... Q

Advertisement