Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost in the quagmire of Compact Cameras.

• 01-10-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

My GF's friend has spotted one of her friends using a Sony T90 and is off to NY in a few months time, she asked me what do I think and from what I've read it's so so...
    Is there any compacts out there around the same price with the same type features? , they're just so many out there me heads gone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Hi Janer

I'd recommend a Panasonic. Link here comparing Sony T90 and Panasonic ZS3 (known as TZ7 in this part of the world). Wider angle, much longer zoom, better flash, HD movies, but a bit heavier. I still regularly use the TZ3 which is 2 generations earlier than this one.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=sony_dsct90%2Cpanasonic_dmczs3&show=all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Better dot screen too.
    Cheers Brian this is the one I'll tell her to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not one of the Canon G10 or G11s .... and you can throw your flash on it if you want/need to :D

:)

She def doesn't want a compact any bigger then the one Brian recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

Giggidy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

LX3 if she can find one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If she's going to NY then she should buy there (unless she is worried about a US warranty) and if she does she might want to buy here.

That's the plan. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Excellent that my plan too in December :cool: with the exception of I am going to be shopping here and I will be in Seattle not NY.
    You should have her bring back a new toy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Well did she get the camera?
    Ignore this. See she's not going for a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

i'd recommend a lx3 as well (i have a lx3), i also have a tz3 as well but its definately not as nice as the lx3. if you can live with out anything more than a 2.5x optical zoom then the lx3 is a really nice camera. but it is pricey that might a big factor for you when buying a p&s.

Well did she get the camera?
    Ignore this. See she's not going for a few months

I am so glad you bumped this because I'd forgotten the name of the camera and the search function is down for weeks now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Canon S90 looks promising. Neater size than G11 or LX3 and lower rrp in US too.

Ok on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 I've come across this readers review on the B&H site...

"My only complaint is that the much-touted AVCHD Lite video format cannot be loaded into a mac computer. And when using the regular video recording mode, more memory and power is used, making the video recording option less useful."

Any thoughts on this? My GF uses a Apple Mac Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

"giggidy giggidy"

I don't know why I didn't think of that.
    Thanks Wicky.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Ok on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 I've come across this readers review on the B&H site...

"My only complaint is that the much-touted AVCHD Lite video format cannot be loaded into a mac computer. And when using the regular video recording mode, more memory and power is used, making the video recording option less useful."

Any thoughts on this? My GF uses a Apple Mac Pro.

I think iMovie 09 does AVCHD Lite

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/

Looks good, I don't see a price or is this a free download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

you can get the ZS1 for €160 including delivery on Ebay.co.uk

It has 12X optical zoom which is very good. It mightn't be the best in the world for low light but this should help:
    I read this taken from (http://nielo-tm.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-improve-panasonics-dmc-tz6-tz65.html)
    could be helpful:
    1.Set dial to custom (2nd option next to iA)
    2.Go to menu and disable intelligent ISO
    3.Set your preferred ISO under sensitivity, but do not exceed 400
    4.Disable pre-AF
    5.Disable i.Exposure
    6.Set stabilizer to Auto
    6.Set Min.Shtr Speed to 1 (or the lowest possible) and press menu to exit.
    If you're still experiencing poor performance, press up and increase the value of the exposure (0 - +2). If you wish to improve the quality further, set ISO to 400 or 800 (medium prints).

Advertisement