Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Ebay purchase

• 01-10-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Im about to buy a phone on ebay from seller with 168 sales and 100% feedback. But it says "This phone is for international use hence can not be used in Britain, this is for people based abroad including Ireland"
    Any idea what this is about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can link to the item if you want, someone might see something you missed.

It might be a US phone, and might not work on the bands here. Depends what phone it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

kc66 wrote: »
    Im about to buy a phone on ebay from seller with 168 sales and 100% feedback. But it says "This phone is for international use hence can not be used in Britain, this is for people based abroad including Ireland"
    Any idea what this is about?

Might mean its stolen or reported stolen and blocked on some UK networks?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ttm wrote: »
    Might mean its stolen or reported stolen and blocked on some UK networks?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Bit of advice mate, I bought a phone off a "reputable" company on eBay with loads of awesome feedback (399900 sales) etc. Phone arrived a month after I paid for it. Then when I had an issue with the keypad I brought to the local Nokia fixer shop and tried to get it fixed under warranty (it was 4 months old). Well, they checked IEMI number and the phone was sourced in Asia, so the warranty didn't cover Ireland. The company also refused to do anything about it until I got the European office for consumer affairs on their asses! The company only offered a 7 day warranty. I'll never buy a phone on eBay again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

My advice on anything ebay is don't spend money you can't afford to kiss goodbye to.

I've bought stuff from all over including India, Pakistan and Hong Kong and not had a bad item yet but if I pay out on the next one and it never arrives no big deal, just don't buy anything expensive unless you can go and collect it or if its a well known company with a reputation to protect trading on eBay.

Edit> if you really want this phone ask the seller for the IMEI, if you get one which I doubt ask a dealer to check it and if its OK and you buy the phone check its the same number when the phone arrives if its not then the item is not as described so claim your money back, but beware there are some istances when you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ah come on now ebay isn't that bad. I'm sure i bought at least 20 phones from there since 2004. the only problems i had was one Nokia 1600 turned out to actually be locked (easy fix) and the very first phone i got was in worse condition than they let on. recently a replacement keypad for my e51 turned out to be an inferior knock-off but that was a cheap old thing, got a new one that isn't a knock off just the other day

but for the love of God don't buy anything that is "For international use only". thats just looking for trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

It was for my Sister and she wanted to take the risk so its purchased now. I suspected stolen as well but don't know. This is it. There is positive feedback for other phones the seller recently sold that have the same description about not working in UK.
    Cant imagine it would be under warranty to be trying to get any repairs done.

Advertisement