Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First vote cast in Referendum was a 'No'.

Options
  • 01-10-2009 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

The first vote in Ireland’s referendum on the Lisbon treaty was cast yesterday in Barry Edgar Pilcher’s living room in Raven Cottage on Inishfree — and it went to the “no” camp.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6856111.ece

Let's hope it's the butterfly effect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The pic in that article is possibly the most surreal thing I've seen that's related to this referendum

and that's saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

rebelmind wrote: »

The first vote in Ireland’s referendum on the Lisbon treaty was cast yesterday in Barry Edgar Pilcher’s living room in Raven Cottage on Inishfree — and it went to the “no” camp.

The point about the butterfly effect is that the outcome bears very little relation to the butterfly...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Let us hope that the majority of the Irish electorate follow Barry Edgar Pilcher’s good example.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A terrible Ashton Kutcher vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hear Hear. Maith an Fear Barry,

Inishfree... ByDad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The point about the butterfly effect is that the outcome bears very little relation to the butterfly...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Not if it leads to the propagation of many other butterflys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

A large proportion of European peoples are praying for an Irish NO vote tomorrow.......me included :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

moogester wrote: »
    A large proportion of European peoples are praying for an Irish NO vote tomorrow.......me included :)

40%'s a large proportion right?

All the different divine entities will be busy.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Not if it leads to the propagation of many other butterflys ;)
    They produce asexually now? You need to brush up on your birds and bees son and then tackle the butterflies.
    Judging by comments from the Catholic and CoI middle management in this country, god's remaining on the fence about this one. Don't expect much from benevolent skybeings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The pic in that article is possibly the most surreal thing I've seen that's related to this referendum

and that's saying something
    Cool photo though, I have to say.
    PaulieD wrote:
    Let us hope that the majority of the Irish electorate follow Barry Edgar Pilcher’s good example.

Yes, because then we would have more than sufficient evidence that we really, really shouldn't be trusted to make decisions on such pieces of legislation ever again :)

Proof please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Patsy Dan Rodgers, the “king” of neighbouring Tory Island, said most of the 150 islanders would vote “no”.

A good start is half the battle. Well done Inishfree & Tory Island.

Christ, I'd love to see the press interrogating them over their reasons for voting against it, I'd say it'd be comedy at it's finest.

Tragic, yet comedic, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

You’re forgetting about the postal votes. I was canvassing a supermarket about 2 weeks ago and a guy said to me he had already voted and I thought it was the usual “already voted mate” (ie. Lisbon 1) then he told me he had a postal vote and that I got it.

Rb wrote: »
    Proof please.

Guess what........

I dont have any :D

I'm just going by various things i have read over the past year..& dont ask me to produce them because i couldnt.

Just look at the comments below for starters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

Robbo wrote: »
    They produce asexually now? You need to brush up on your birds and bees son and then tackle the butterflies.

Oh for goodness sake, I'm parsing a metaphor.
    Also, please do not patronise me, take your beating, if your a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Guess what........

I'm stunned.

Christ, I'd love to see the press interrogating them over their reasons for voting against it, I'd say it'd be comedy at it's finest.

We are no being made to vote again as "we didnt fully understand the treaty." We have already voted and we voted No, we can vote No again for whatever reason we want. Be it Cowens hair parting or future european integration.

Proof please.

Here you go.

French voters have overwhelmingly rejected the European Union's proposed constitution in a key referendum. Almost 55% of people voted "No", with 45% in favour. Turnout was high, at about 70%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4592243.stm

Voters in the Netherlands have overwhelmingly rejected the proposed European Union constitution.
    Provisional final results indicated that 61.6% of voters said "No" to the charter and 38.4% approved it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4601439.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Or not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

PaulieD wrote: »
    Here you go.

Anything actually relevant to the Treaty at hand Paulie?

prinz wrote: »
    Anything actually relevant to the Treaty at hand Paulie?

He asked another poster for proof. I provided it.

Many people claim that the rest of Europe is just waiting for Ireland to say ‘yes’ to the Treaty.

But Ireland is the only country to have given its citizens a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Voters in several EU countries were promised a referendum on the Treaty, but were denied a vote when EU leaders began to fear that the Treaty would be rejected.

This is despite the fact that, according to the only independent poll of all 27 EU member states, 75 percent of voters across Europe, and a majority in every EU country, want to be given a say on any new Treaty which gives more powers to the EU.

The most recent poll showed that 77 percent of Germans want a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Irish EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy has estimated that 95 percent of countries would have voted no to the Treaty if they had been given a referendum.

An independent poll of all member states showed that at least half of EU member states would have rejected the Treaty if they had been given a vote.

Pressing ahead with such an important Treaty without consulting the people will spell disaster for the European Union in the long run.

Most people in Europe are in favour of the European Union, but they desperately want to be given more of a say on big issues like Treaty change, and increasingly feel alienated and disenchanted with an EU that refuses to consult or listen to them.

By voting ‘No’ to the Lisbon Treaty a second time around, Irish voters can speak for the rest of Europe in demanding a stop to integration without the people.

Guess what........

I'm just going by various things i have read over the past year..& dont ask me to produce them because i couldnt.

Just look at the comments below for starters..

Oh well, just another thing in the long line of bs the No side have said and can't back up. It's wonderful that you were so forthcoming about your ignorance though, if only your comrades were a little more honest with themselves and the rest of us, they might do what they should do and refrain from voting tomorrow.

Unfortunately though, logic isn't on the No side.
    We are no being made to vote again as "we didnt fully understand the treaty." We have already voted and we voted No, we can vote No again for whatever reason we want. Be it Cowens hair parting or future european integration.

Over 40% of those who voted against it didn't understand it, the rest voted against it for made up reasons that had no real basing in the text. That's as good a reason to re-run the thing as any.

You can vote for whatever reason you want, but you make a mockery of the process by doing so, all the while under the pretense that you're trying to protect democracy. It's beautifully moronic.
    Here you go.
    French voters have overwhelmingly rejected the European Union's proposed constitution in a key referendum. Almost 55% of people voted "No", with 45% in favour. Turnout was high, at about 70%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4592243.stm

Voters in the Netherlands have overwhelmingly rejected the proposed European Union constitution.
    Provisional final results indicated that 61.6% of voters said "No" to the charter and 38.4% approved it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4601439.stm

Consititution, we're voting on the Lisbon Treaty, i case you haven't realised. They ditched the parts the electorate weren't happy with and now those countries have ratified, without what seems to be little to no issue with the electorate, so guess they're happy campers now!

And with any hope, intelligence and sense will prevail tomorrow and allow us to join them.

Lobster wrote: »
    Or not :rolleyes:

Ok, well they voted against the treaty, I'm assuming like every other No voter they didn't have a legitimate reason to do so, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they're asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The most recent poll showed that 77 percent of Germans want a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

You see when you rely on sourceless claims like this your argument really holds no water, as people can't verify for themselves.

As it happens I remember somebody mentioning this before and it was some neo-nazi right wing magazines readers poll, or something like that.

You will need to show the sources of your stats if you want to use them to convince anyone that's not already voting 'no'.

Many people claim that the rest of Europe is just waiting for Ireland to say ‘yes’ to the Treaty.

But Ireland is the only country to have given its citizens a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Voters in several EU countries were promised a referendum on the Treaty, but were denied a vote when EU leaders began to fear that the Treaty would be rejected.

This is despite the fact that, according to the only independent poll of all 27 EU member states, 75 percent of voters across Europe, and a majority in every EU country, want to be given a say on any new Treaty which gives more powers to the EU.

Irish EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy has estimated that 95 percent of countries would have voted no to the Treaty if they had been given a referendum.

An independent poll of all member states showed that at least half of EU member states would have rejected the Treaty if they had been given a vote.

Pressing ahead with such an important Treaty without consulting the people will spell disaster for the European Union in the long run.

Most people in Europe are in favour of the European Union, but they desperately want to be given more of a say on big issues like Treaty change, and increasingly feel alienated and disenchanted with an EU that refuses to consult or listen to them.

By voting ‘No’ to the Lisbon Treaty a second time around, Irish voters can speak for the rest of Europe in demanding a stop to integration without the people.
    Perhaps you should let everyone know this is directly from the Europe Says No website?

What is it with No voters on here and their lack of ability to reference their quotes, or to seek transparency in their posting?

You see when you rely on sourceless claims like this your argument really holds no water, as people can't verify for themselves.

As it happens I remember somebody mentioning this before and it was some neo-nazi right wing magazines readers poll, or something like that.

You will need to show the sources of your stats if you want to use them to convince anyone that's not already voting 'no'.
    Direct rip from the Europe Says No site http://www.europesaysno.org/why_we_say_no.html

Lumped in with another bunch of moronic reasons with no footing in reality to vote against this document.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

He asked another poster for proof. I provided it.

He asked for proof relating to the Lisbon Treaty... you didn't provide it.

• Advertisement

I dont suppose you'll approve of this either but here you go :)

http://www.openeurope.org.uk/media-centre/summary.aspx?id=874

Advertisement