Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Transit V's Fiat Ducato...opinions ??

• 01-10-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new van (not brand new maybe 03-07), i've been told so many different things that i am unsure of what to think anymore, i need a long wheel base and a high roof but more importantly RELIABILITY as i bought a renault master (my last van) and it is now sitting in my garden going nowhere.

From what i have looked into and read/been told, a transit would be the van for me (except from late '06 upwards), then a friend of mine suggested a Fiat Ducato,firstly i laughed and said you must be joking a FIAT !!!! He says fiat cars are rubbish but the vans are the opposite even the AA use them in their fleet and they are much better that a transit or most vans,

So my question is, Ford Transit or a Fiat Ducato ???

or maybe even another van i should get if you have any good experiences.(except renault master avoid avoid avoid :eek: )

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Transits Rwd is the only way to go. Your could look at a sprinter, but check the injectors. Avoid Fiat and any of the french vans.
    What weight do you intend carrying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cormie, one of the regulars here, was in the same situation as yourself a few years ago.

Page 4 here has some good points
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055099626&highlight=Ducato&page=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Having driven both, I'd prob go for the transit personally.
    If your going for one, try to get the newer model of both, '06 for transit, '07 for Ducato.
    There's a huge choice with the transit, make sure you get a RWD, the FWD is hard on its driveshafts.
    Both a good comfortable vans, I just reckon the transit has a nicer gearchange but I wouldn't be dissapointed with the Ducato. In LWB, they're absolutely MASSIVE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

my bro in law has a ducato

he says fiat stands for

Fix
    I
    t
    A
    gain
    Tomorrow

dont think he rates em

also bits randomly seem to drop off his dashboard into a nice little pile on the passenger side

Fix
    I
    t
    A
    gain
    Tomorrow

I'm so sick of hearing this, their vans are excellent, and more reliable than most. his may be troublesome but it's not representative of Ducatos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

i have an 06 fwd transit the newest model.had 2 minor issues so far with it,mapping sensor had to be replaced,out of warranty but only charged half labour and the key remote control went,fixed under warranty.its a nice van to drive,good on juice and tyres and overall happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Serviced a 04 fiat one the other day. Aposulote scrap! Inside is very loud and not nice to be in.

Oh yeah, forgot how nice the old model Transit is inside :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

my bro in law has a ducato

he says fiat stands for

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow

dont think he rates em

also bits randomly seem to drop off his dashboard into a nice little pile on the passenger side

Yeah my brothers sister in law's 2nd cousin had one and it fell apart from the inside out:rolleyes:.

Seriously, we have a ducato since 02, 160K on it now and nothing other than regular servicing and the usual has kept it going until now. Very good van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

tbh my brother in laws the only one ive been in but thats all ive got to go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new van (not brand new maybe 03-07), i've been told so many different things that i am unsure of what to think anymore, i need a long wheel base and a high roof but more importantly RELIABILITY as i bought a renault master (my last van) and it is now sitting in my garden going nowhere.

From what i have looked into and read/been told, a transit would be the van for me (except from late '06 upwards), then a friend of mine suggested a Fiat Ducato,firstly i laughed and said you must be joking a FIAT !!!! He says fiat cars are rubbish but the vans are the opposite even the AA use them in their fleet and they are much better that a transit or most vans,

So my question is, Ford Transit or a Fiat Ducato ???

or maybe even another van i should get if you have any good experiences.(except renault master avoid avoid avoid :eek: )

Thank you in advance for any comments.
    Suggesting that all Fiat cars are rubbish is just as silly to a real car nut as saying all VW cars are good. Both are as incorrect as the other.
    The Ducato wins favour with anyone who has owned one for any length of time. They're an excellent van, and thanks to the mentality of a few of the above posters, good value too! Fiat make excellent diesel engines, and their commercial stuff was always excellent. Look at their diggers and tractors as an example.

Advertisement