Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madenning City Traffic

Options
  • 01-10-2009 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

Whatever those morons were doing on O'Connel street caused havoc. I'm all for people's right to protest, but blocking one street to bring the entire city to a crawl without warning. It was a bloody mess.

It's infuriating. I was sitting there, foot tapping on the throttle, itching and raring to go for it. I wanted to desperately just to gently ease forward and help a few fellow motorists into the river. I wanted to scream at the traffic reports. I wanted to punch that smug Garda. I wanted to hurt someone, anyone to get me the hell out of that bloody cage.

I didn't.

But I was close. I was screaming blue ****ing murder inside. Even with the radio turned up.

How do yous do it. Seriously? How do people keep calm in traffic? Sitting, dead still. Burning fuel but going nowhere. And that somebody is doing it to you on purpose? How the hell do other people stay sane?

How do I keep my head straight in traffic and not get.... twitchy. How do I calm down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think happy thoughts........
    Speeding around a race track in a supercar......you can even make all the engine noises as you wait in traffic and turn the steering etc, really scaring those "parked" closest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

trust me, that garda didn't wanna be there anymore than you did.
    Best advice i can give you is to breath, turn off the engine if your worried about petrol. Getting worked up isn't going to change the situation the slightest bit so unfortunately, you have to grin and bare it.
    I agree that letting people demonstrate on the Main St. of Dublin during rush hour is a pain in the arse and i don't necessarily agree with it, unfortunately everyone has a right to demonstrate and the Gardai have a duty of care to the demonstrators to ensure that they don't get knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Remember those Avenger things that were all the rage in the eighties? You put them on the dash and pressed different buttons for machine gun sound, grenade, etc. I'd say the market for that fad has come around again.

*Phones Peter Jones*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

The problem is, I'm a frustratable person. And it occurs to me that if you don't want to get run over, you don't stand in the middle of the road.

I am still really sour over this.

Can't stop paying attention to to what's arounf me though. You can't just drop out into your own world or you'll squash someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

I agree that letting people demonstrate on the Main St. of Dublin during rush hour is a pain in the arse and i don't necessarily agree with it, unfortunately everyone has a right to demonstrate and the Gardai have a duty of care to the demonstrators to ensure that they don't get knocked down.

There's already another thread on this - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698259

In any event, everyone DOES NOT have the right to protest by doing this - notice must be given in advance for a demo on O'C St and that did not happen.

The real question is who is in charge of the gardai and why have they not directed that this illegal demonstration be broken up?... Or is it just easier to let the lads collect the overtime while standing around doing SFA? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i give myself a manicure.

have all the gear in the car, cuticle cream, hand cream, bluffers, nails files, ridge removers, nail clippers and will sitt there quite happily doing my nails. sometimes i pluck my eyebrows too :):)

i have lovely nails now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

This afternoon, there's a protest that will involve rerouting traffic away from the EastLink. Rush hour traffic heading north will have to go down Pearse Street, which is never pleasant on a Friday evening.

I'm sure the powers that be will have a traffic management plan in place to make sure the extra volume of traffic can be managed by aligning the traffic light sequences to ensure a steady flow of traffic.

No ?

And also why are people (no mention on the radio of who they are or what their cause is ) allowed to block a thoroughfare causing inconvenience for thousands of people who are neither the cause of nor the solution to their grievance ?

This democracy concept has it's weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mods - this thread was closed earlier, its not to be opened again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement