Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing in a different county?

• 01-10-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭

I have to tax my car tomorrow, I'm heading to a different county in the morning, can I tax my car there, or do I have to use a tax office in the county I live.

I know for first time taxing of a new car you have to stay in your own county, what's the craic with renewals?

Anyone categorically know the answer? I know ideally they should let you do it anywhere, but I need to know for sure.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why don't you avoid the issue and tax your car online now? Print off the receipt and even though you don't have a current tax disc in the car, no Garda in this country will fine you if you show the receipt. Unless you have to park in public car parks with keen parking wardens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cos the car was off the road for 3 months, and I obviously don't want to pay for the guts of €200 extra tax ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You're supposed to tax it in your county of residence. But a mate of mine can't stand the shitehawking that goes on in Kildare Co Co motortax office so he taxes his car in Dublin. They always tell him he's not supposed to, but he hasn't been refused yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cos the car was off the road for 3 months

Right. Download the form, print it out, fill in the details and go to your local Garda station to have it stamped. I did this myself last month for the Rover that had been out of action for a couple of months.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're supposed to tax it in your county of residence. But a mate of mine can't stand the shitehawking that goes on in Kildare Co Co motortax office so he taxes his car in Dublin. They always tell him he's not supposed to, but he hasn't been refused yet.
    1. call into the office
    2. post the form off
    3. do it online
    Like all other counties, there are three methods of paying motor tax in Kildare. I've used all three to tax my and herself's car and never had any kind of issue (except for the hatred of throwing away that amount of money). Obviously doing it online is going to be simpler than calling in.
    What kind of stuff does your mate encounter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    1. call into the office
    2. post the form off
    3. do it online
    Like all other counties, there are three methods of paying motor tax in Kildare. I've used all three to tax my and herself's car and never had any kind of issue (except for the hatred of throwing away that amount of money). Obviously doing it online is going to be simpler than calling in.
    What kind of stuff does your mate encounter?
    1 is the only option if your tax is out and you need it done asap (eg to drive the car). It's also the only option in this case.

KCC's motor tax office is infamous. As you know there can be 1.5 hour queues, usually as only 2 or 3 (out of 8) hatches are serving motor tax. The last time I was in there there were 85 people ahead of me in the queue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fair enough. Whenever, I had to call in I was in early so maybe I missed the queue that way.

Advertisement