Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University of Limerick one-year PGDEs

• 01-10-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I find the following text ( italics below ) about University of limerick PGDEs in the ASTI leaflet "Thinking of a Career in Teaching", but I can't find any relevant info on the www.ul.ie website - can anyone help me out ? some of the info at the department of education and professional studies webpage seems very out of date e.g. "Submit your first assignment to Professor Diarmuid Leonard before Monday, January 10th, 2005" ....

thanks, M
    The University of Limerick provides a range of one-year PGDEs in Music, Maths, Science, Technology, Languages, Business Studies and
    Physical Education. Applications are made directly to the University’s Department of Education and Professional Studies – www.ul.ie. The closing date for receipt of applications is the first Friday of March in each year for which entry is sought. You would be advised to check with the
    Teaching Council concerning the suitability of these qualifications for teaching specific subjects.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭millix

Thanks for the link - I was looking for the maths PGDE that's mentioned in the ASI document - I don't see it in the list

M

Mustn't do it anymore.

You could do a distance learning maths pgce from the UK (to a-level standard 11-18, not 11-16, so as to be recognised by the teaching council). There's a €9000 sterling grant too or you can do it part - time. Google 'GTTR' (graduate teacher training registration) for the university list. You'd only have to go over for placement and the odd weekend lecture.

Open university have one as well I think.

If you're picking UL because you don't have the points for the NUIs you could try DCU (part-time) or Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭millix

no, it's not to do with points. I'm interested in seeing if it's possible to do this ( get the PGDE or equivalent qualification to enable me to teach in a secondary school ) in a part-time / distance learning mode. DCU is an option I suppose, and I'll look at the GTTR sites in more detail - thanks for this.

Does the teaching council website list the PGCE and PGDE from UK universities as recognised qualifications for secondary school teaching ?

millix wrote: »

Does the teaching council website list the PGCE and PGDE from UK universities as recognised qualifications for secondary school teaching ?

be careful with the maths pgce from the UK. The teaching council used not (grammer ? !!!) recognise the 11-16 pgce. Only the 11-18 one. I don't even think there is automatic recognition of all UK PGCEs.

Best thing to do with the UK PGCE in maths is get it in writing first from the teaching council that the one you might do will be recognised.
    Think nottingham used to do a distance learning pgce in maths.

Hibernia: The irish crowd that do the distance primary pgde are supposed to be doing one for secondary level but haven't heard anything in a few months

• Advertisement
Advertisement