Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those new bells...............

Options
  • 01-10-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Gawd is anything sacred these days?

So they've taken down those lovely old bells from sspeter&pauls church with their distinctive "Dong" that could be heard for miles around and replaced them with those hidious new Looney Tunes ones.

I dispair I really do.:mad:

Someone will have to hang for this.

Only consolation is you cant hear them from the East side when a breeze is blowing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

in fairness, I don't remember the old bells so I can't compare. I do however like the fact the church now has working bells, adds something to the town I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was that the Big Ben style noise I could hear from outside Golden Island this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

It sounded like a dodgy ice-cream van on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    in fairness, I don't remember the old bells so I can't compare. I do however like the fact the church now has working bells, adds something to the town I think :)

Doesn't add anything to the town really does it, I mean in all fairness it didn't create any new jobs or bring in any money and the church is asking us to give money to repair it, sure they can get the money now from the EU seeing as the "yes" vote came in :D

As for the bells themselves, all they are to me is a pest especially when they are like feckin Big Ben donging all over the place ..... quarter past half past quarter to then on the hour I'd love to feckin record them and play them at full blast outside the feckers house that put em in.

Add to the town me arse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

That church should never have been put there in the first place. Cleaving an acre off the barracks and causing buildings in that corner of it to be demolished, destroying the character of the town square and looking like a dogs breakfast after it has been kicked by an elephant. Now in addition to being an eyesore it is making an infernal racket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

martin1 wrote: »
    So they've taken down those lovely old bells from sspeter&pauls church with their distinctive "Dong" that could be heard for miles around and replaced them with those hidious new Looney Tunes ones.

Translation: they fixed the clock.

Doesn't add anything to the town really does it, I mean in all fairness it didn't create any new jobs or bring in any money and the church is asking us to give money to repair it, sure they can get the money now from the EU seeing as the "yes" vote came in :D

As for the bells themselves, all they are to me is a pest especially when they are like feckin Big Ben donging all over the place ..... quarter past half past quarter to then on the hour I'd love to feckin record them and play them at full blast outside the feckers house that put em in.

Add to the town me arse!

Who said "adding to the town" means jobs or bringing in money? I think it adds a bit of atmosphere and I like the sound of the bells. Have you also noticed they don't ring throughout the night?

Also what has Lisbon and Europe got to do with them fund-raising? Do you have a problem with them asking for contributions?

@Jo King, just out of curiosity, if the church could be relocated, where would you put it? I can't think of a place to put it (ignoring what might be there already) that would be suitable. The trick to this game is, you can't say "It should never have been built" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Who said "adding to the town" means jobs or bringing in money? I think it adds a bit of atmosphere and I like the sound of the bells. Have you also noticed they don't ring throughout the night?

Also what has Lisbon and Europe got to do with them fund-raising? Do you have a problem with them asking for contributions?

@Jo King, just out of curiosity, if the church could be relocated, where would you put it? I can't think of a place to put it (ignoring what might be there already) that would be suitable. The trick to this game is, you can't say "It should never have been built" :P

I for one have a problem with them asking for money , the vatican is the richest state in the world , they dont need our money , they can go **** with theie mad stories about a stoner dude coming back from the dead.

And on the bells , if you do shift work , they are ringing all day when you are trying to sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

I think the old fashion bells were much better as they were the bells that were ringin for years through Athlone town. Why change that especially when the new Gimic is worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Didn't some guy collapse and die on the steeple this week?

• Advertisement

I for one have a problem with them asking for money , the vatican is the richest state in the world , they dont need our money , they can go **** with theie mad stories about a stoner dude coming back from the dead.

But if you're not a member of the church why would you think they're asking you directly for money?

@ roosterman71, didn't hear that he died, although I did hear about an accident. Was it not Wednesday/Thursday that it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Front page of the Advertiser this morning says he died of a heart attack.

Advertisement