Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vatican issues Lisbon Treaty warning to Irish voters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

moogester wrote: »
    Just found this online.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/6251741/Vatican-issues-Lisbon-Treaty-warning-to-Irish-voters.html

Has the vatican still got enough influence to sway voters?

Maybe.

In the opposite direction, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"Individual European countries have their own identity. The EU prescribes its laws or views to them and they do not have to fit with their traditions and history. Some countries are logically resisting this – for example, Ireland," said Cardinal Bertone.

Seems more like a comment than any sort of warning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So it is one cardinals opinion then and not the Vatican?

Judging by the deceptive headline it would certainly appear that the eurosceptic Daily Telegraph thinks that it will influence us.

Sure won't all us God fearin' Irish go rushing to d'No side now on the say so of d'Holy Father, te be sure, te be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Funny thing, this exact post appeared in the Christianity forum and has completely backfired, prompting more people to actually vote yes...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

This article is apparently the source for this quote:

http://zpravy.idnes.cz/poucte-se-u-iru-jak-brani-sve-tradice-pred-bruselem-pobidl-vatikan-cechy-13u-/domaci.asp?c=A090928_171152_domaci_adb

I put it through Google Translate.
    Looks like someone from Coir has been visiting Prague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

marco_polo wrote: »
    So it is one cardinals opinion then and not the Vatican?

Judging by the deceptive headline it would certainly appear that the eurosceptic Daily Telegraph thinks that it will influence us.

Sure won't all us God fearin' Irish go rushing to d'No side now on the say so of d'Holy Father, te be sure, te be sure.

Begorrah isn't it terrible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Oh jesus, you'd know Desperate Ganely would have to have his say in it.

I cannot wait for these slimy little rats to disappear, I really can't. Including the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Last time Bertone took a pot-shot at anything it was the Da Vinci Code and he was speaking in his own view then as well.

He got slapped by having Rino Fisichella (president of the pontifical academy for life, intended to promote the Catholic Church's life ethic) write a letter slightly endorsing a double abortion by a Brazilian mother last March. And he cocked up in the Williamson affair by not advising Benedict XVI, when the decision was being made to lift his excommunication, that Richard Williamson is paranoid about zionism and is a holocaust revisionist when he's being interviewed on the telly. The rational half of the Curia is still sore at him about that.

Benedict likes him (they worked together at the Holy Office), JPII liked him and he's been seen as papabile but he's shot himself in the foot a bit with his unofficial actions and statements, especially for a guy so close to the top and as a result is unlikely to get promoted to the top job even if the cards fall his way (in other words, if Pope Joe dies before 2014).

Is he speaking for the Vatican? You've got to be kidding me, they don't let Tarci Bertone make public statements. He's apparently a wonderfully personable bloke with a John XXIII-style smile on him but they try to keep him away from the microphone these days for fear of what he'll come out with.

The official statement from the Irish bishops said that there's no problem voting for it and there's no ethical reason in their concern to vote against it. That basically means they're leaving it up to everyone individually and you can make up your mind either way with a yes or no. As it should be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What’s the official line the Church is taking? Only the farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I might not be able to devote myself full time to the old Lisbon Treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sceptre wrote: »
    Last time Bertone took a pot-shot at anything it was the Da Vinci Code and he was speaking in his own view then as well.

He got slapped by having Rino Fisichella (president of the pontifical academy for life, intended to promote the Catholic Church's life ethic) write a letter slightly endorsing a double abortion by a Brazilian mother last March. And he cocked up in the Williamson affair by not advising Benedict XVI, when the decision was being made to lift his excommunication, that Richard Williamson is paranoid about zionism and is a holocaust revisionist when he's being interviewed on the telly.

Benedict likes him (they worked together at the Holy Office), JPII liked him and he's been seen as papabile but he's shot himself in the foot a bit with his unofficial actions and statements, especially for a guy so close to the top and as a result is unlikely to get promoted to the top job even if the cards fall his way (in other words, if Pope Joe dies before 2014).

Is he speaking for the Vatican? You've got to be kidding me, they don't let Tarci Bertone make public statements. He's apparently a wonderfully personable bloke with a John XXIII-style smile on him but they try to keep him away from the microphone these days for fear of what he'll come out with.

The official statement from the Irish bishops said that there's no problem voting for it and there's no ethical reason in their concern to vote against it. That basically means they're leaving it up to everyone individually and you can make up your mind either way with a yes or no. As it should be.

he also claimed it was possible that the Vatican could field a football team capable of competing with Italian Serie A sides :D

namloc1980 wrote: »
    he also claimed it was possible that the Vatican could field a football team capable of competing with Italian Serie A sides :D
    Ah, I could and perhaps should have mentioned that. If I recall correctly he came back later and said he didn't want to manage it though.

Ah, rather disappointingly I've just noticed the above story linked from one or two people's sigs with a text reading as though the Vatican had actually issued a warning of any sort. As I keep saying at times, people who can type but can't seem to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Robbo wrote: »
    What’s the official line the Church is taking? Only the farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I might not be able to devote myself full time to the old Lisbon Treaty.

Church leaders wisely refrained from endorsing either position. They just said that Christians shouldn't feel guilty about voting either way, contrary to the views of Coir.

Advertisement