Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch screen phones?

• 01-10-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

What do you lads think of them? some people seem to think that this is the future of all phones and in a few years there will only be touch screen phones and no more keypads. of course that seems like bull**** to me if only because the mobile phone industry is so hugely diverse.

had an iphone a while back and hated the touch screen interface, the little slide effects and everything but moreso the touchscreen itself. never liked the virtual keypad/keyboard and got myself an e63. yet some people swear by touch screen, or for their new phone they only want a touch screen. whats the dealio with this?

of course for the poll i am talking about touchscreen-only phones, not things like the n900 or the like

Touch screen phones? 18 votes

Good
    0% 0 votes
    Bad
    55% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    44% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

they will only be touch soon enough,

just texting can be a big bag of nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a tocco and like it. But its a simple interface. It has a glass screen. I'm not keen on the newer plastic screens.
    The phone makers are into them because it takes away the need to manufacture various keyboards, so saving money. When they reach peak with touch screens, you will find it hard to get a mainstream phone with a keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

That's sooo freaky - I was just thinking of starting this very same poll JUST now. Thanks OP !

Today I sold my 5800 - after 6 months I'm going back to physical keys.
    Touch was sweet for browsing on and no doubt, but the little annoyances got the better of me in the end.
    I'm posting from my E61 - I wouldn't have dreamt of taking this on with a touchscreen.

Now touchscreen + QWERTY, that's a different matter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can't ever see touchscreen phones replacing the standard keypad, some people just prefer keys... visually impaired people especially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    When they reach peak with touch screens, you will find it hard to get a mainstream phone with a keyboard.

i'll be getting non-mainstream then, or assembling my own phone. unless someone comes up with a shape-shifting phone that can have a keyboard on demand.

but really the e63/ 9500 or e75 shape of phone is as good as it gets so no need for anything else. i don't really feel the need to browse the interweb on my phone, just boards mobile :) when i'm bored. don't really watch videos on my phone either. i did before but now i realise that i watch so few videos and movies that for the few i do i might as well sit down behind a proper screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dankoozy wrote: »
    unless someone comes up with a shape-shifting phone that can have a keyboard on demand.

nokia_7705_twist.jpg

nokia 7705 only for the yanks i'm afraid..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

the yanks can keep it it's an ugly looking thing in my opinion:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wasn't their a similar thread awhile ago?? Someone feel free to search for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Touchscreen handsets will be here to stay, as not only have they been used in handsets for years anyway, manufacturers appear to be implementing them in more and more handsets and with greater results. A lot of people incorrectly assume that Apple were among the first to release a touch screen handset with Internet, music and video playback etc, when such handsets have actually been around for a long time.

I will admit that Apple have brought touchscreen handsets to the vast majority of the publics attention and have revolutionised the way in which we interact with touchscreen handsets; thanks in large part to the effectiveness, for the most part, of their mobile OS and use of a capacitive touchscreen in their devices, however, for all the good Apple have done, they have, yet again, made a device that is so appealing to the public, the public, a lot of the time, don't even know why they want one, other than "it's so cool", "my friend has one and said it was great" or "it looks so nice".

While touchscreen handsets were geared more towards business users in the past, there were other manufacturer's, such as LG, who were working on and releasing touchscreen handsets before the iPhone craze.

With regard to the use of handset interface, whether it be touchscreen only, touchscreen and keyboard or standard keypad, I prefer using a touchscreen and keyboard combination the best, as the tactile touch of keys, with the additional benefit of seeing the entire screen, wins against using a touchscreen only or standard keypad equivalent. In saying that, I do see my next handset being a touchscreen only device, as the features I am most looking forward to are not being used in a handset with my preferred use of interface and as a result, some of use can't always get what we want and will have to settle for the next best thing; thankfully, I don't see it being an Apple made device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

long_b wrote: »

Now touchscreen + QWERTY, that's a different matter :)

Yup, touchscreen + QWERTY FTW. I have a G1, and while i'd use the touchscreen keyboard the odd time for a short text, for anything longer there's no beating the physical QWERTY.

Advertisement