Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a bike in cork??

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hello, im thinking of buying a bike in cork city (am a college student and only need it to get from A to B) and was wondering what price range would i be looking at? As ive said i only want a very basic model, nothing fancy as ill only use it for 20 minutes every day. Ive been to Kilgrews and was told ill be looking at around 300 euros for one. Just wondering if this is what ill be looking at everywhere? Is this price reasonable or not? Ive no idea.
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

for 300 euros you can get a mountain bike with 21 gears, front and rear suspension, aluminium frame. at least i did a couple of years ago, you should still be able to now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭mountain

take a trip into the bike shop at victoria cross, nice and friendly,
    or have at look at gumtree.ie cork section, sure to be some used bikes for sale there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Try adverts.ie, the evening echo pink pages, or gumtree for a second hand one. Buying new for a runabout would be a waste of money imo but try halfords out in mahon point for good value on new bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

(I did some research into this. I still haven't actually bought the bike.)
    Dankoozy wrote: »
    for 300 euros you can get a mountain bike with 21 gears, front and rear suspension, aluminium frame. at least i did a couple of years ago, you should still be able to now
    You can, but it'll be crap. For full suspension you'd want to be spending at least €500, but €300'll get you an average front-suspension bike that should do just fine.
    mountain wrote: »
    take a trip into the bike shop at victoria cross, nice and friendly,
    +1. Not the cheapest, but knowledgeable and helpful.
    SomeFool wrote: »
    try halfords out in mahon point for good value on new bikes.
    -1. Most of the Bike Hut lads are obnoxious gits trying to push a particular brand, and they don't give a flying toss about customers. The managers are as bad, it seems endemic in there. If price is the only factor then Halfords is the way to go, but I wouldn't expect more than a sneer if anything goes wrong.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I agree about Victoria Cross Cycles, I bought my bike from there. It cost me around €400 at the time if I remember correctly. You could probably get a standard bike for around €200 - €300 if you shop around.

I wouldnt consider buying a bike with suspension if you are only going to be riding around town for 20 mins a day.

There is also Rothar Cycles on Barrack Street. They organise cycle tours so they may have decent bikes for sale as second hand bikes depending on how often they replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Try the bike shop in Ballincollig, down just past the White Horse on the right at a junction.

He is very reasonable and open till 6pm.

Advertisement