Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43 EU RULES

im really interested in economics. think i could start the subject now in 6th year and do well? i'd really put a lot of effort in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

EU RULES wrote: »
    im really interested in economics. think i could start the subject now in 6th year and do well? i'd really put a lot of effort in.

It's possible. Economics is not easy, but once you get the gist of it, it can be pretty simple. you need to put in alot of work though!

It is divided into two parts:

Macroeconomics:

National Income
    Price Level (Inflation)
    Money and Banking
    Trade/Balance of Payments
    Government and the Economy
    Population/Employment
    Economic Planning
    Economic Development
    History of Economic thought

Microeconomics:
    Demand (Consumer)
    Supply
    Costs
    Elasticity
    Market Structures
    Land, Labour, Capital, Enterprise (Factors of Production)

Sounds daunting but once you get the gist of it and you put in a bitta work you'll be sorted.

Give us a shout if you need any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

EU RULES wrote: »

Yes.

I found it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Well, Ordinary level is easy enough, but I don't think you will be able to do the whole HL course in one year, at least I wouldn't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Hmm you could try it but there is alot to learn

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Yes.

I found it simple.

agreed, I started it in september of 6th year and got an A1. Bit of work, should be sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also thinking of doing economics...I know that it sounds a bit daft but would it be possible to teach yourself economics? getting revision books/exam papers etc I'm in fifth year now and my school doesent teach it so I took up business instead. Are they closely related or is it a hard course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Were nearly covered 1/4 of the course this year so far and I can honestly say It is very easy.If you have an interest you should do fine,but if you dont then go do geography or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I am doing it as a one year course and there is learning in it (a good bit) but if you understand its half the work done like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Danc124

Tough but very possible.
    Great choice of questions in the exam also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cickimc

sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also thinking of doing economics...I know that it sounds a bit daft but would it be possible to teach yourself economics? getting revision books/exam papers etc I'm in fifth year now and my school doesent teach it so I took up business instead. Are they closely related or is it a hard course?

I do both there really different and only small parts over lap! but personally i find business much easier. While my economic teacher aint great and my business one is good , is seems economics is a lot harder but you could teach yourself it, especially pass once you know it its easier then business but the understanding could take a while

Worth a try for a few months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

cickimc wrote: »
    I do both there really different and only small parts over lap! but personally i find business much easier. While my economic teacher aint great and my business one is good , is seems economics is a lot harder but you could teach yourself it, especially pass once you know it its easier then business but the understanding could take a while

Worth a try for a few months

Thanks :) but I decided against learning it... I thought it would be better to concentrate my energies on the subjects I'm weaker at instead of taking on more work. I was only thinking of it pointswise but even if I did it at ordinary level and got good it wouldent really match up to the five higher subjects I'm doing (and hopefully a distinction in lcvp) and I doubt i would get a good economics result considering a higher C is like an A

Advertisement