Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the week - Week #14 :: 14th September to 20th of September, 2009

• 01-10-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

7F1CA3C5C2944A4F900B02088EF786B7-800.jpg

By: Dakar

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Congrats Dakar and I'm extremely jealous......... what a view to wake up to each morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Well done Dakar!

This is a really good idea and has been a great success, is there any way all the winners to date could be put in a thread somewhere so we can see the quality! (not suggesting a stickie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

is there any way all the winners to date could be put in a thread somewhere so we can see the quality!

Yes. I'm currently figuring out how best to do it (all advice accepted). It was suggested very early on by our category moderator LoLth that we have a gallery for the winners and now that we're gone way beyond 10 I think it's possible.

What I love about these is how giving the photographers are after the event with descriptions of their efforts, the environment it was taken in, any challenges the faced, and their technique. If you go back over each photo of the week you get a guide for people as to how to recreate the shots - a wonderful resource which the forum has to offer. Darren has indicated that he is glad to pop a description up tomorrow for this photo.

Darren - I can't thank my own opening post, so just to say +1. A tremendous shot. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Thanks to everyone for their thanks!

A couple of things about this photo strike me now that I've had a chance to think about it a little more over and above the usual dump and run on the random thread.

Firstly, it reminds me how lucky I am to live where I do (although since we bought the site and built the house, I suppose we made our own luck on that one :)). This was literally taken out my bedroom window on a stunning Sunday morning. There's not much to say about the motivation behind it other than I had gotten up to something similar the day before and was prepared by having the camera to hand on the off chance that the light would be as clear again. It's one of a batch of photos I took that morning.

Secondly, it's amazing how transient that light was, 10 minutes later, that low light was gone and the mist had risen covering a load of the trees that are appearing as islands in this shot. Very much a right time, right place shot.

Thirdly, thank you to whoever chooses the post of the day on boards. It's nice to see loads of non-photography-forum-regulars amongst the thanks and there's no doubt that nice and all as this shot is, the fact that it got wider exposure in the boards community is why it garnered so much attention.

Thats all I've got, all the technical blurb is here. In the unlikely event that anyone has any questions, fire away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

How do you enter/vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

How do you enter/vote?

All explained over here.

In summary - vote by thanking posts on the random thread, you don't really enter as such but by posting your image on the random thread it is automatically considered for photo of the week. Like a good Irish election post early and vote often ;)

Advertisement