Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Penneys got expensive...And Dunnes got cheaper?

• 01-10-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭smileyxx

:confused:Is this just me?

Comments

Yes!

Well expensive may be a bit of an exaggeration but they have gotten dearer. Dresses that used to be €13 are now 19. Tops that would have been 9 are 13 etc. They know they're still cheaper than most places so they're cashing in!

Dunnes are definitely cheaper, they have some fab dresses for €25. Savida is especially cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I was looking for a dress last week- got one in Dunnes for €13. Very impressed with the quality. They have lots of good stuff at the moment, I was there for ages going through the shoes and handbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

Dunnes definitly cheaper, got great jumpers/shirts for work, €5! And that wasn't on sale. Better quality too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭georgem25

Winter coats are €35 in Pennys and were €30 in Dunnes - now reduced to €28 in Dunnes!

I still love Pennys but find myself buying more in Dunnes than ever before :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This just in regards to the womens section?

Mens jeans are usually reasonable cheap so i usually go to Dunnes for'em, never really look around much else there.

- Drav!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I noticed the Savida range in Dunnes has become really cheap! Tis great! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Yep, noticed this too, Penney's are making their clothes more fashionable and in turn the prices seem to have went up, not out the window but still a tad dearer than they used to be. And dunnes have def come down in price too, and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm finding it harder to justify spending more in pennies to be honest and I find the sizes in dunnes a bit on the big side.
    That siad, the quality in Dunnes seems a lot better and stuff is getting way cheaper so I am buying more, loving the jumpers at a fiver and the jeans at 9 euro!!

Some lovely dresses in Savida to, just not able to splash out much anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love Dunnes at the moment , especially for shoes and bags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭SissySpaced

I have to agree that Penneys is getting a bit steeper with the prices. Went in today and didn't buy anything... but then again it was my third time in there this week. Yes I have a problem ha!

There was a nice light checked shirt with a hood that caught my eye. It was €15 though. It would definitely have been under €10 last year.

My sister was telling me to look in dunnes but I have never found anything I like in it. She's bought loads there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I actually saw a coat in Penney's that was €41! Yes, you're definitely right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I noticed this about 3months ago when I went to find baby gros for my sisters child. I thought €7.50 for 3 was alot for penny's,
    they were €5 for 3 in Dunnes and
    €3 for 3 in Tesco (where I work)

Pennies seem to still be charging £sterling to Euro at the rate of 1.50.
    Dunnes have the prices covered in yellow stickers but going by the usual underwear I buy,the rate it seams to be 1.30.
    In tesco it's 1.15.

I do think people just expect Pennys to be cheapest and don't really look at the prices.

I would say the quality in Pennys has increased vastly in the last few years, but it is easy to go in and fill one of those net baskets and get a shock at the check out when it comes to €75! ( haven't done that in a while!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in Dunnes. Yes, everything's cheaper...a lot of stuff is halved. The price tags that the stock arrive in with are lower than they would have been before and then we all have to get out the yellow stickers on almost everything anyway (yellow sticker- new lower price..). Savida macs were €60+ last year, they're €30-35 now, the coats were €100 and now they've hovering around €50..you can get work shirts for €4 that used to be €12 at least. It's in homeware, mens and kids too...all of drapery but more obviously in ladieswear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Which Dunnes in Dublin has the best selection of coats? My local one is a bit on the small side.

Probably the Henry St or Stephens green ones if you're in the city. Then on the southside Cornellscourt or sandyford are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I bought a pair of jeans recently in Dunnes for 9 euro. They fit me perfectly and are the right texture to be super casual. 9 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

I thought it was just me thinking that!

The new prices in Dunnes are great but I haven't bought anything in my local one (waterford) in nearly a year, only thing I saw was the same underwear I bought last year.

What bargains have you guys picked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Yep I've definitely noticed that, I live in London and have find some things a little bit cheaper than Ireland but other things more expensive. Haven't had time to go to Dunnes the last few times I've been home but defo will go next time.
    Oh and the Dunnes baby clothes are much better quality that Penneys!!

Dunnes baby stuff is way nicer than Penneys, Got my nephew a couple of tops in Penneys and they were really tight and shrunk in the wash. The Dunnes stuff is much cuter and feels nicer imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

I wonder if maybe it's cos Penneys had to change suppliers, after all the controversy about them supposedly using child labour in sweatshops etc? If there's only a few euro in the difference but now they can guarantee that their clothes are not produced in such horrible conditions, then I'm more than happy for Penney's to jack their prices up a wee bit.

Dunno if this is the case, just speculation.

The way most value retailers function it's difficult to say where they get their stock.
    It's usually made up of 50% last years best sellers reworked.

25% this seasons must have item, which they will source from their usual factories or on the by offering their business to who every can supply in the best time frame.

25% unmissable bargains of excess or cancelled stock from bulk suppliers where usually re-branding is done for free.

The actual label on a value / high street item can be immaterial until you reach brands at Warehouses level, where they would have exclusivity rules imposed on their suppliers.

Like most retailers, they will price their wares to what the market will bare, Pennys as far as I know have remained flat like for like, SS08 / SS09, so why reduce prices as other retailers have had to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Certi Layla!!

:eek:i wouldnt usual have gone to dunnes because i thought it was dare but me and the girls went into the one in sligo the other... couldnt believe it gone very cheap! penneys diffently gone up in price jeans shoe the lot...not impressed penneys:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 prisciller

Totally disagree, I used to buy lots of work stuff in dunnes but recently have found it to have really bad quality clothes.
    Pennys on the other hand has improved in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭carasbars

Penney's probably has gone up a little but I have to say - their stuff is definitely better quality than Dunnes. Their clothes feel way nicer too IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I just got a really excellent black coat in Pennys for 35 euro.

I had tried on coats elsewhere ranging from 60 to 180 euro. The coat compared in quality/style/ and fit so well I sprinted up to the check out.

Sad I know but da budget is v tight just now and for the foreseeable future.

Agree with other posters that Savida in Dunnes is really excellent. I have a few items in my wardrobe from the range and they look boutique style quality items. Love their dresses at the moment but will have to wait...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 suzie_q

My self and my friend went shopping yesterday we went to Dunne's and Penny's (amongst others) but bought the most in Penny's. Last year I bought a pair of ankle boots in black for €20 this year there €15. I do think that some prices have gone up slightly but the quality is much higher and more fashionable clothes at the moment. I bought the suit jackets that are in style now for €21 I thought it was a bit high but went into another shop and they were selling it for €91 :eek: , so paying €21 in Penny's doesn't seem so bad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

got a feb savida dress in dunnes for 25 yo yos best 25 i ever spent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I've noticed this too. Penneys has definitely increased all of their prices. Everything in there seems to be €19 these days!?! Dunnes has had loads of price cuts in the clothing dept but the homeware and food is still the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

got a feb savida dress in dunnes for 25 yo yos best 25 i ever spent :D

Which dress did you get? I'm going to try on few Savida dresses next day I'm in town, I keep seeing them when I'm passing and they look good. Dresses in Penneys are usually €19 so Savida=bargain:)

beauty101 wrote: »
    I've noticed this too. Penneys has definitely increased all of their prices. Everything in there seems to be €19 these days!?! Dunnes has had loads of price cuts in the clothing dept but the homeware and food is still the same
    Homeware seems a lot cheaper, lots of delph for a euro and the duvet sets are very cheap too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

...Read this yesterday, then popped into dunnes last night for TEA BAGS and conditioner - spent 91 euro on clothes instead >.<

got some awesome bargains though - including a shiney purple tote bag in sale bin for a fiver and a cool shirt dress for 12! :eek: most money on one item was 25 for some navy shorts - very nice though :o

They had a really nice navy lacey dress for 25 but I wasn't sure if it suited me :/ might head back with someone for a second opinion.

Will let you know if everything holds up in the wash :rolleyes:

on the penneys v dunnes debate - my best buy this winter so far has been flat penneys boots for 17 euro - got a second pair in a different colour yesterday, so comfy and have had loads of compliments on them :)

I guess us bargainistas should just keep checking both :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would agree with the OP but I still think the quality in Dunnes in particular is woeful. I have bought a few things in Savida and I have to say after one wash they begin to look a bit raggy. They are both grand for disposable clothing but I have never bought anything in either shop that has kept its shape etc for longer then a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

have been noticing this myself!

got two lovely cotton tops with ruched shoulders in dunnes for 5 euro each :)
    I love penneys but have found lately that the prices on some items have really increased, some of the sizing is mad and the tops tend to shrink upwards in the wash. I still buy there but I try everything on and check prices. I did get a lovely black bag with studs on it for 7 euro the other day which was a brilliant bargain! Have to ask - do the dresses in penneys fit anyone? I dont even try them on anymore I must be odd shaped or something! There seems to be material everywhere and nothing sits right. Their tops, shoes and trousers and skirts are grand on me its just the dresses I cant wera at all.

got a black trench coat in penneys last year for about 30 euro and still wearing it this year. Its not warm enough for late wonter but grand for this time of year

Dunnes trousers dont tend to fit me very well but I have bought a lot of work tops there recently and they are lovely and wash well. Lovely variety of colours as well

also went to tesco in maynooth and wow its very good got black suede ankle boots for 18 euro have had so many compliments on them and black wool work trousres for only 20 euro really good quality material.

new look is one I have found has gotten cheaper or is that just me? got two ax paris dresses there the other day and they were just over 20 euro each was really surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

sunnyside wrote: »
    Which dress did you get? I'm going to try on few Savida dresses next day I'm in town, I keep seeing them when I'm passing and they look good. Dresses in Penneys are usually €19 so Savida=bargain:)

i got a lovely blue one, its kinda a small slit on the back of it, it tuks in waist aswell :D. they have blue, black and pink. wanted to get the balck but they were sold out on my size:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I was actually just talking about this with a friend earlier on today! Dunnes has gotten an awful lot cheaper and more fashionable! Especially over the last few months. They have some gorgeous sequined dresses for €20 a pop. I plan on buying one of each :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Definately buy in Dunnes. Price is very similar if not cheaper than Pennys and their clothes are so much better.
    Although, don't forget, we are still talking about Dunnes. I mean, I wouldn't go to Dunnes to buy a nice shirt or suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

:eek:

All I see in Dunnes is horrid tracksuits! Savida stuff has gone cr@p in style terms. All I can find is tracksuits, tshirts and workwear with a little bit of going out stuff.

Yeah it's cheaper, but compare range and quality with a few years ago and I'm sorry, my business is going elsewhere!

(I'm actually genuinely shocked that there's such a positive response here as I have seen NOTHING in Dunnes that can't be got in Pennys whereas Dunnes had gotten quite stylish up to maybe 2 years ago in a way that Pennys wasn't....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Have to ask - do the dresses in penneys fit anyone? I dont even try them on anymore I must be odd shaped or something! There seems to be material everywhere and nothing sits right.

It's not just you, I'm the same.!! I don't even bother trying on their dresses anymore, they just don't sit right on me at all for some reason.
    Molberts wrote: »
    :eek: most money on one item was 25 for some navy shorts - very nice though :o

Oh.. jealous!! I tried them on too, they're gorgeous but I felt guilty about spending so much on shorts and I didn't buy 'em in the end. They are gorgeous though, if they're the ones I tried on. (beside the mannequin in the navy dress, right?!)

Lucky Molberts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Ooh you've all made me want to go to Dunnes now!

I definitely agree, the last time I was in Dunnes I just went for tights and came away with a gorgeous long cardi which was excellent quality - I keep getting compliments on it - and a blazer. The blazer was €18, and I bought one in Penney's about a month ago for €20 which I've hardly worn, it's nowhere near as nice on as the Dunnes one. I am impressed with Dunnes at the mo, I have to say! Also, Penney's prices have definitely gone up, but they've got some lovely stuff too. I do think their quality could be improved overall though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I totally agree!!

I was in Pennys today and bought a pair of boots, a boyfriend blazer and gloves and it came to €40. A year ago you would have bought the whole shop for that!

Never go to Dunnes but I think I will start! Used to buy clothes there as a kid then I got too old to fit into teens section but too small for the adults.

I always found Dunnes clothes to be way better quality than Pennys. Guarantee everything I've both from Pennys has had buttons fall off or stitching ripped way too easily. Very shoddly made.

Today I saw a pair of boots for €40 and a cardigan for €50 in Pennys! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For me, the worst thing about Penney's is the selection. I've noticed if you go to Primark (the name for Penney's in the UK), they have a much better selection of clothes. I've seen nice Primark clothes in magazines in the past that have seemingly never gone on sale in the Grafton Street or Henry Street flagship stores.

It's almost as if they save the best items for the UK customers :-(

I so agree with that! All Irish customers seem to get anymore is crap covered in sequins or chunky cardigans. I hate looking in British magazines now because I keep seeing really nice stuff from Primark that they don't sell in their Irish stores

• eth0_ wrote: »
    For me, the worst thing about Penney's is the selection. I've noticed if you go to Primark (the name for Penney's in the UK), they have a much better selection of clothes. I've seen nice Primark clothes in magazines in the past that have seemingly never gone on sale in the Grafton Street or Henry Street flagship stores.

It's almost as if they save the best items for the UK customers :-(

I think the opposite. I live in London and the Primark here is full of cheap and nasty tat, there are some nice things, but it's so busy that they sell out very fast. I thought the Penneys on Mary Street was much,much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

phasers wrote: »
    I so agree with that! All Irish customers seem to get anymore is crap covered in sequins or chunky cardigans. I hate looking in British magazines now because I keep seeing really nice stuff from Primark that they don't sell in their Irish stores

Can you not order online..?

I went to Penneys last night, there was nothing of worth there except one dress which seemed to be part of a new lime call "limited edition" it was quite nice and good quality but it was €30 - and I can't justify spending that much on one thing in penneys :pac:

I went to Dunnes this morning! they have FAB stuff and most of it is under €30. I got a gorgeous dress - actually I think I'm in love with it :D - for €30 and it so heavy and good quality, LOVE IT. They have underwear sets for €4 which are actually lovely day time undies. If I wasn't going to the states on Tuesday I think I would have bought the whole shop!

liah wrote: »
    Can you not order online..?

God no! Penneys is so backwards when it comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

phasers wrote: »

You need to read stellar then!

You need to read stellar then!

Ha..noticed that magazine a shop today. It looks like it's produced by the people behing U - I take it it's rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

eth0_ wrote: »
    Ha..noticed that magazine a shop today. It looks like it's produced by the people behing U - I take it it's rubbish?

Its actually great. Is the editor who used to do KISS magazine

• Advertisement
Advertisement