Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know an effective way to teach 'quiet'.

My puppy constantly in social situations barks to no end!! He's fine at home with me but the second we happen to be in obedience class or ringcraft he's off!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi Jen, you can try teaching the speak command, train them to bark on command, then you teach them to be quiet then.

Im lucky, i have a dog that rarely barks so im not too bad. I taught cooper to speak on command and thats really the only time he barks.

I think Sammies though are barkers and are very noisy dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks Andrea :)

They seem to be quite yappy dogs alright :D

I was told last night in ring craft that since he's so noisy atleast he'l put the rest of the dogs at ease for showing as they will be used to the noise :o

How do you teach speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Get him into a situation where he will usually bark - a knock at the door, sitting waiting for you to throw a toy - whatever he will bark at get him to bark.
    As soon as he barks - or preferably right as he barks, you say "SPEAK" (or whatever word you want to use) and then praise with an over-the-top "Good Boy" and treat with something nice. Do this a few times, timing is crucial so he relates your command of "Speak" to when he barks.
    You will then be able to push it so that you are commanding "Speak" when he is not quite in the barking zone. Treat, treat, treat while he is learning this new command and you will soon have him speaking when you want.

Once he has learned the Speak command (without having to use a treat), you push him to "Quiet" (or "Shush" or whatever word you want to use).
    As soon as he speaks you say "Quiet" and treat.
    Get him to bark again and then say "Quiet" and treat.
    Work on it then and before you know it he'll be reading you a bedtime story!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks kildara - i'm going to try this with our pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he's in obedience classes then they should be able to advise that's what you're paying them for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks kildara - i'm going to try this with our pup!

Just to update on our progress.. He caught on pretty quickly - now the real work is getting him be quiet instead of barking for treaties! :D

Advertisement