Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Cowen had any sense, he'd have categorically ruled out a government collapse...

Options
  • 01-10-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...in the event of a no.

IIRC, when asked if he'd hold a general election or if the government would collapse in the event of a no, he wouldn't answer, saying only "I refuse to contemplate / accept the possibility of a no vote so I'm not going to discuss it" or something along those lines.

Had he categorically denied it, he would have at least made a very good effort at dissuading the angry voters who don't care about Europe but want to see the government fall from voting no - a group which we are now led to believe is a bit larger than previously expected:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h-1agCYjA3nBHEcN_X3_wLv3EQgQ

I personally really hope the treaty is not rejected or accepted for any reason other than the treaty itself, but once again I have to say that the government has done a very poor job at preventing this scenario...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

the treaty referendum shouldnt have anything to do with national government. Both the government and the opposition are pushing a yes vote.

Advertisement