Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of Eamonn Dunphy?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I prefer Pat Dolan, Atari Jaguar.....
    kryogen wrote: »
    absolute rubbish

How so ?

Dolan always strikes me as being knowledgable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I can never respect him after seeing this

Thats just an unflattering picture of a man eating fast food? Don't see how it affects how much you would respect him.

I just don't like to listen to Pat Dolan, he's quite annoying for some reason.

I do like Dunphy though, even if he talk's through his hole he's still very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

Poor pundit
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy is good entertainment, Souness is a good pundit.

have to agree with this statement. eamo is car crash entertainment i just watch to see who is next in his line of sight. souness actually sounds as though he has done his research before the programme and does not just pull stuff out of the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Absolutely hate him as a pundit. You'd get better informed football opinions from a hermit.

He relies heavily on cliches and thinks watching one match a decade makes him an expert on French, Spanish, Italian and Irish football.

I don't think he ever got over his and Gikes' stint at Rovers where they didn't run away with the league as they both assumed. There was an interview with him from that time and his arrogance is outrageous. He was committed to bringing "real football" to Ireland, iirc. It was such hilarious crap.

He is a tool of the highest order. I don't see him as having anything to do other than to create controversy and get people worked up.

Trilla wrote: »
    like his comments about pressure on Lyon, being in financial trouble due to them being big spenders this year? Eh they got 30 odd million for Benzema.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they are in financial trouble.

They may have got 30m for Benzema but they still splash out, and have been for a few years, on players with big amounts (for French teams). They didn't win the French title last season and they've been building a new stadium for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I much prefer Pat Dolan.
    He has a knowledge of the european game, Dunphy doesnt.
    He too speaks his mind, no arse-lickin, but does so in a more reasonable manner to Dunphy.
    I think that Lyon comment was a fair one. They spent 60 odd million so of course there is pressure on them, regardless of selling Benzema or not.

Also, funny as it is of that photo of Dolan, I would much prefer to laugh at that photo than to see a photo of Eamonn Dunphy groping bouncers or photos of the many other stories I've heard about him.

Meh....
    only1stevo wrote: »
    I much prefer Pat Dolan.
    He has a knowledge of the european game, Dunphy doesnt.
    He too speaks his mind, no arse-lickin, but does so in a more reasonable manner to Dunphy.
    I think that Lyon comment was a fair one. They spent 60 odd million so of course there is pressure on them, regardless of selling Benzema or not.

Also, funny as it is of that photo of Dolan, I would much prefer to laugh at that photo than to see a photo of Eamonn Dunphy groping bouncers or photos of the many other stories I've heard about him.

only1stevo
    1 1.18%

Enough said buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Meh....
    I disagree with a lot of what he says but that's to be expected. I disagree with a lot of what every pundit says, as do most people on here, i would think. When he is so up front with his views then the bits you disagree with are going to be more obvious.

Eamo gets it right far, far more often than most other pundits in my view. That still means i disagree with about 50% of what he says. Of course his sensationalism harms his arguments but that is a good trade for the entertainment value.

The fact that he occasionally gets a player's name wrong or doesn't watch a particular league enough doesn't bother me in the slightest. I watch tv punditry to hear opinions about the game being covered on the night, not to gauge the pundits depth of knowledge. Sure his research could be better but it's good enough for the job imo.

Eamo and the rest of the RTE panel aren't afraid to put their opinions forward when they're on the spot, which is a brave thing. And it gives me the chance to nod sagely when i agree with them or shout abuse at the tv when i think they're wrong.

I lived in the UK for a few years and it's a nightmare being without the RTE panel. Compared to the post match fence sitting nonsense on BBC, Sky and ITV, Bill and the lads are mana from heaven.

only1stevo
    1 1.18%

Enough said buddy.

New poll?

• Advertisement

Meh....
    only1stevo wrote: »
    New poll?

;)

Eamo will always come out on top. Might not always know what he is talking about but the entertainment value is just incredible. I'd sit down with a few beers just to watch the RTE boyos to be quite honest :)

;)

Eamo will always come out on top. Might not always know what he is talking about but the entertainment value is just incredible. I'd sit down with a few beers just to watch the RTE boyos to be quite honest :)

And so would I for the Entertainment of course, but a pundit is "an expert or opinion-leader who analyzes events in an area of expertise in the popular media".
    Pat Dolan is the better Pundit. Eamo is the better Entertainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He's only there for entertainment, he knows **** all about football.
    Both talk shi'te imo, and make over the top comments. Every time I picture him making a point, with his finger pointing and OTT "and you know what....." remarks. He's just annoying!

He is more knowledgable; but is twice as annoying, cringing and way less interesting and entertaining

For those reasons I'd prefer Eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Meh....
    I'm a fan of Dolan i must say. I understand why he gets up peoples' noses with his ridiculous comedy comments but if you can learn to laugh at or ignore them his knowledge and analysis is worthwhile imo.

I must give Brian Kerr a mention too. He seems to know the history and form of every player and manager on the planet which is entertaining in itself. Also his analysis is usually sensible and well argued and he comes across as intelligent and thoughtful. And then there's his husky tones which just add to his gravitas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Brian Kerr looked liked Dracula on telly the other night. His hair was crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Meh....
    Wouldn't be surprised if they are in financial trouble.

They may have got 30m for Benzema but they still splash out, and have been for a few years, on players with big amounts (for French teams). They didn't win the French title last season and they've been building a new stadium for a long time.

But your forgeting about the players they've sold for very big money. Moulda,Benzema,Diarra1,Diarra2,Essien,Abidal & Carew to name but a few.

And they've been getting CL money for the last 8 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Only there for the entertainment.

tdv wrote: »
    But your forgeting about the players they've sold for very big money. Moulda,Benzema,Diarra1,Diarra2,Essien,Abidal & Carew to name but a few.

And they've been getting CL money for the last 8 years or so.
    True, but it's still conceivable that they are losing money. OL Land is projected to cost €250m.

Then they forked out 24m for Lisandro Lopez alone, not to mention the signings in recent years of the likes of Kjallstrom, Toulalan, Makoun, Bodmer, Ederson and Gomis.

They are the FC Bayern/Real Madrid of French football but they're nowhere near as famous as either of those so the big spending could easily catch up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He's only there for entertainment, he knows **** all about football.
    i hate him with a passion any time i see him i want to punch the tv

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Meh....
    After Kaka he's the most entertaining man in football

Advertisement