Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iwo Jima - open to tourists ?

• 02-10-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if Iwo Jima is open to visitors ? I've searched on the web but can't find an answer - the island was held by U.S. Navy till 1968 and handed over to the Japanese Navy who maintain an airport there ( naturally the U.S. has landing rights ). Cannot see if the place is open to tourists though - it would seem that Wake and Midway islands are closed to visitors .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

delancey42 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Iwo Jima is open to visitors ? I've searched on the web but can't find an answer - the island was held by U.S. Navy till 1968 and handed over to the Japanese Navy who maintain an airport there ( naturally the U.S. has landing rights ). Cannot see if the place is open to tourists though - it would seem that Wake and Midway islands are closed to visitors .

I think the author of Flags Of Our Fathers, James Bradley, mentioned that the island is not open to the public, as they required some kind of diplomatic permission to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

As far as I know all island is a military base, so you'd have to get visitors permit, I'd say.

Advertisement