Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney to Cairns trip

Options
  • 02-10-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just need a bit of advise. Im heading to oz for 5 weeks on 27th dec, so gonna be in sydney for the new year but then i plan on traveling from sydney to cairns for 3 and a half weeks. I bought a greyhound ticket for €260 online. So just wondering is 3 and a half weeks long enough to do most things and what things should i really do on the trip and what towns should i stop off in. Going to bring €4000. Do you think is that enough? Gonna stay in cairns for a few days and then fly back to sydney a day or two before im due to go home. Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

do a search on the forum for this trip - this has been asked many times and is a very popular route

3 weeks is fine, won't get everything but will get the most parts
    do some research but here are my tips

Sydney -> Coffs / Port Mac (1 night 6 hrs ish) just to break up trip nice relaxing beach spots, maybe coffs for a bit livelier night life

Coffs -> Byron (2/3 nights) I love this place as do most people, great town
    Byron 0> Brisbane (1-3nights) some people love it some people don't, so up to you and views on big cities

Brisbane -> gold coast??? If you like nightlife and theme parks then maybe a night or two in surfers

Fraser Island - a must do of the coast trip, can either camp with fellow travellers or rent cabins etc if camping is not your thing

Arlie Beach/ whitsunday - again a MUST do- possibly the hightlight of east coast

Magnetic Island / Mission Beach - never been but heard great reports

Cairns - a couple of nights - a good party town

Money and time seem fine, the only thing is Late Dec the weather can be a bit unpredictable so you might have storms / floods (last year they had around the start of Dec I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

dragging up an old thread here but this itinerary seems ideal for what I would like to do, would be planning to do this in March, would I get the weather for it?

anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What do you mean by 'the weather?'

It's March. It'll be hot and humid and there may be a cyclone and it could still be raining most of the trip once you get to Brisbane and above. But even approaching winter it won't be cold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

zweton wrote: »
    dragging up an old thread here but this itinerary seems ideal for what I would like to do, would be planning to do this in March, would I get the weather for it?

We did this cruise in Early Feb 2000 ,
    http://www.captaincook.com.au/home.asp?pageid=1661F5DD27C61DDC&destinationid=3B62B303497F34E9&cruiseid=36F945DB56AC1FFF

It rained for 95% of the time , We landed in Cairns from Hong Kong around 7 AM , Looking out the window of the plane it felt like we were landing in Dublin on a miserable wet October Day , Believe it or not we had to resort to board games and bingo in the afternoon to ease the monotony. It was quite warm but after hours of rain you do start to get damp and miserable , Avoid is my advice

• Advertisement

What do you mean by 'the weather?'

It's March. It'll be hot and humid and there may be a cyclone and it could still be raining most of the trip once you get to Brisbane and above. But even approaching winter it won't be cold...

The weather being nice weather:)

Advertisement