Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Enda carry his constituency?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is English your first language? It's an expression - he was a popular guy when we had the first referendum.

I learn it from a book. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Just regarding Enda Kenny, I got the impression he and the rest of Fine Gael was staying eerily quiet during the run-up to Lisbon. Anybody know why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Any word on Mayo's turnout/decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

This is not a european matter,why is this being hosted here?
    I think you'll find it is a european matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Voting is tomorrow, and once the dust settles the results will be analysed by all and sundry pundits.

I can't help wonder if the result is a Yes - will Enda Kenny have been able to bring a Mayo Yes?
    Will Cowan have gotten an Offaly Yes?

As far as I recall, both men failed last time to get a Yes in their own constituency, but while it came up in debate, it got no more than a cursory examination as most of the constituencies were a No.

This time around, if the result is a Yes, I can't help but feel that the result will reflect strongly on both men, particularly Enda Kenny.

If the Mayo Taoiseach can't carry his own constituency on one of the biggest issues of the day, how can he expect to be the trusted leader of Ireland?

I know that on Saturday I will be watching the Mayo votes with an especially keen eye.

If Enda or Brian don't get a Yes vote in their own constituency it's not the end of the world; hardly reflects poorly on them. Those who voted just got it wrong.
    What they should do is conduct a biased inquiry into why people voted No, give some guarantees, no one was asking for, and demand another vote.
    Then inform their constituents that there will be grave economic reprecussions if they dare vote No again; that's the way it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It's not about part lines, it's about a man saying he can lead the country when he can't even convince his own constituency on the most important issue of the day.

Convince ? Convince ? This is a change in the constitution and has nothing to do with one person convincing many persons about whether or not to change it. This ain't fair really.

It's not a referendum on Cowen just like it's not a referendum on Kenny. I really can't see how Mayo voting will mean anything at all to Kenny, Fine Gael or the political establishment. The media might make a story out about it much like people here will but I can't see the relevance.

Mayo voted no last time. If it votes no this time that doesn't mean the electorate there doesn't like Kenny. If it votes yes, that isn't a ringing endorsement for him as Taoiseach.

Nah, non-issue in my opinion but sure we'll see. I'm strangely interested though in the constituency results actually cause my one was one of the ones that had a resounding "no" vote last time. We'll see what happens anyways.

Advertisement