Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postbank vs Ulsterbank for not getting ripped off?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello,

I had 7euro in my Graduate current account in AIB, and spent 10euro on Monday on my laser card. I put in 20euro on Thursday, only to realised I'd been charged 12.81euro for being -3euro! Seeing as I've so little money at all its a disgusting amount of my dole wasted.

They recently upgraded me to a Graduate account so many that has something to do with it, I've had a student account for 5 years.

SO, my question is, I'm seriously considering switching banks for a better deal-the Ulsterbank graduate account offers 650euro overdraft with no fees, the Postbank offers a 250euro overdraft, and Permanant TSB are offering all kinds of free shoysh...

Basically I don't understand much of the bank lingo...I'm just looking for the best deal! I have a maxed out Mastercard with Bank of Ireland, if I were to switch what would happen?

I'm particularly interested in the Postbank, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it, good? bad? dodgy? It sounds kinda too good to be true....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

AIB provide an Interest Free Overdraft up to €1,000 on Graduate Accounts (subject to their T&C’s). You don’t mention having one, so if you do, you should not have been charged if you had only used €3.00 of it.

You really need to read their ‘Guide to Fees and Charges for Personal Current Accounts’, but if you don’t have an overdraft facility then if you overdraw your account beyond any credit limit you will be charged €5.15 referral fee per transaction straight away & when it comes to around the 15th of each quarter (March, June, Sept, Dec) you will be charged debit interest & unauthorised debit interest. These charges apply regardless of you have qualified for maintenance free & transaction charges.

Normally, you would not be charged the €5.15 referral charge if you were just a couple of euro overdrawn, but AIB do seem to have become extremely ruthless & not at all customer friendly lately, but that may just be my personal experience.

Basically, what I’m saying is that, the only immediate visible charge connected to that €10 Laser transaction would be €5.15. I don’t know what the €12.81 is for.

What is it described as on your account? I have an idea that it is another charge that’s somehow related to your recent change of account or a combination of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

UnpaidFee01Oct 12.70

Thats all they're telling me! I always thought I had an overdraft...they never used to charge me...I'm a complete bank idiot.

Has anyone had any negative postbank experiences? or ulsterbank? are they a bit more forgiving? Surely in these times they should be falling over each other for a custom! When they're not collapsing and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi,

No bank is "forgiving" anymore. You go over, you'll get charged. Simple as that. You'll just have to keep a better eye on your account.

Advertisement