Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least be Honest

• 02-10-2009 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I turn on the radio or read my paper all I seem to hear or read about are fcuking well paid gimps complaining.

Now fair enough you might say, but don't start using children or patients welfare to justify your greed.

Teachers are whining about the effect of pay cuts on "the children" when in fact it's themselves they are concerned about.If you are that concerned about "the children" take a pay cut.

Likewise nurses and doctors and consultants, who the fook do you think you are kidding?
    It's yourselves you are concerned and your well paid and well pensioned lifestyle,not the focking patients.

All the unions want to do is talk, for how focking long? Another five years while the country goes down the plughole?Five years shuffling from one meeting to another going round in circles?

Get on with what you are paid to do,and paid fcuking well, and stop trying to fool John Q Taxpayer with that "concern" nonsense.

Wake up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, most doctors and nurses (public sector) have really tough jobs with exceptionally tough hours. Yes, I know they chose that career route to go down, but still. The people who I think should get best paid for their jobs are nurses, doctors and firemen. They do save peoples lives. They work in tough conditions, and have a lot to put up with.

Personally, if I was told that I have to work in a hazardous/dangerous environment and very long hours, I would look for more money. Teachers, nah, dont really deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Every time I turn on the radio or read my paper all I seem to hear or read about are, to quote, 'fcuking gimps' complaining about people who are getting paid for doing their jobs.

Change the record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Poor old FB, Must be hard to be a Fianna Failure at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

A sterile rant about public sector professionals on AH, now there's a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So wealthy private sector tossers don't think of themselves? Funny how they always advocate slashing the public service while at the same time saying that taxation should be maintained/reduced rather than raised. And all of that for the "good of the economy for the sake of our children". Translation: let someone else take the pain because I don't want to pay a cent more in tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Every time I turn on the radio or read my paper all I seem to hear or read about are fcuking well paid gimps complaining.

Now fair enough you might say, but don't start using children or patients welfare to justify your greed.

Teachers are whining about the effect of pay cuts on "the children" when in fact it's themselves they are concerned about.If you are that concerned about "the children" take a pay cut.

Likewise nurses and doctors and consultants, who the fook do you think you are kidding?
    It's yourselves you are concerned and your well paid and well pensioned lifestyle,not the focking patients.

All the unions want to do is talk, for how focking long? Another five years while the country goes down the plughole?Five years shuffling from one meeting to another going round in circles?

Get on with what you are paid to do,and paid fcuking well, and stop trying to fool John Q Taxpayer with that "concern" nonsense.

Wake up!

I have to agree, the vast majority couldn't give a flying fook about the patients or children, it's the money in their pockets that isn driving their anger. I am not saying they don't care for their patients and want to help them etc, but when the issue of money arises, it's self interest and they then use the patient of child as a bargaining tool; it doesn't fool me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm a little bit sick and tired of people going on about how hard doctors and nurses have it, i'm sure they're both quite demanding jobs in their own ways and all that and should be reasonably well rewarded, my problem with them is this - in the 10 or so times i've been to a&e over the years i see the undeniable ques of people waiting on trolleys and what not, i've been one of them a couple of times, but i've also seen doctors, nurses, orderlies and every other make and model of HSE employee sauntering around, yapping to their mates and generally scratching their arses. I've rarely seen anybody exert themselves and certainly never to the degree that they whine on about. We all know we need doctors and we need nurses, we also need good ones so we need to pay well to attract them, but all we have here is an overstaffed, overpaid gravy train full of whingers who know full well there jobs are among the most secure in the developed world, so shut up whinging and get on with it and maybe a bit less arse scratching would get those ques down too! You would never see a bloody macdonalds run in such an inefficient manner, why on earth should a hospital be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

BrianD3 wrote: »
    So wealthy private sector tossers don't think of themselves? Funny how they always advocate slashing the public service while at the same time saying that taxation should be maintained/reduced rather than raised. And all of that for the "good of the economy for the sake of our children". Translation: let someone else take the pain because I don't want to pay a cent more in tax.

It's the private sector that creates the wealth, the public sector spends it.

A lot of the private sector tossers and finding it hard to make the money so the angelic public sector workers will have enough money to spend.

Cutbacks are needed in the Public Sector, they have to happen until our economy gets back on its feet and the States borrowing gets back under control.

I'd rather see Public Sector workers suffer a 10% pay cut than lose their job. I'd rather see Public Sector workers suffer a 10% pay cut than have to close more hospital wards.

In the Private Sector any worker can lose their job at any time, and I'm sure if you ask any Private Sector worker that's been made redundant if they would have preferred a 10% pay reduction to no job they would have said YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It makes a change for FB to post about the big sh1ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

My name is Paperclip2 and I'm a public service worker.

Now the confession is out of the way I'll give you a run down on my typical work. I work in a frontline service that directs people into further and higher education and training. There are three distinct jobs outlined for these kinds of services but we have only ever been in a position to fill two of them. We work on a one-to-one and group basis with adult and further education students as well as provide tailored information packs to the general public. And for the record its not FAS :).

Since March, thanks to the moratorium, I alone have been covering every aspect of the work of the service. All guidance, all information provision, all research and all admin. The demand for our service has increased stratospherically given the current climate. Govt guidelines would say that I should be seeing no more than 15-18 one to-one clients per week. Yesterday alone I saw 9, had two case conferences and worked with one group of 28 people. FAS and the DFSA account for 40% of the referrals to our service. I provide outreach services to two further education centres, two jobsclubs and all community and adult education projects run by the local VEC and partnership company, as well as having a remit to provide tailored educational information to the adult population of the county who are aged 18 and not currently in full-time education. On a some weeks total beneficiaries of our service can number over 70 people. The follow-up is a bit of a bitch some times. :)

Now heres the kicker. Our budget has the money in it to hire someone to help out. To do some of the admin etc, but that cant happen because of the moratorium. So in november, I will be having to spend tax-payers money on utterly non-essential rubbish just to ensure that we retain our exisiting budget for the coming year. How does that make sense? This is just one of the examples of the stupidity endemic in the current management of this country.

Hey but at least for now I have a job. :rolleyes: But thats dependent on the money not running out for this project. I'm not nicely permanent and pensionable, nor am I alone in this. There are plenty of Public Service workers also living under the threat of job loss because of the times we are in.To be honest I could live with a pay cut if I could trust that money it saved would be used effectively but I'm pretty damn sure that right now it wont.

My husband works in the private sector. Recently his pay was cut by 25% with no negotiation. His bosses justified this by saying they had taken a reduction too; they were down by 16% in their bonuses, poor things. :rolleyes: Financial inequity it seems is not just rife in the public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

walshb wrote: »
    I have to agree, the vast majority couldn't give a flying fook about the patients or children, it's the money in their pockets that isn driving their anger. I am not saying they don't care for their patients and want to help them etc, but when the issue of money arises, it's self interest and they then use the patient of child as a bargaining tool; it doesn't fool me

So you expect them to work for free. I mean if you were working in A&E and had to care for some scumbag who's OD'd on heroin again, píssed / crapped themselves, how much of an interest are you going to take in that patient.
    Then you're told, through no fault of your own, you have to take a massive paycut... Would patient care be your first concern?
    OK maybe you wouldn't just walk out of your job there and then but it would make you regret going into work every day...

Nurses, Firemen, etc.. get a lot of stick for being greedy and only concerned with themselves but the fact is the whole public sector is top heavy and the people on the bottom are getting shafted as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

So you expect them to work for free. I mean if you were working in A&E and had to care for some scumbag who's OD'd on heroin again, píssed / crapped themselves, how much of an interest are you going to take in that patient.
    Then you're told, through no fault of your own, you have to take a massive paycut... Would patient care be your first concern?
    OK maybe you wouldn't just walk out of your job there and then but it would make you regret going into work every day...

Nurses, Firemen, etc.. get a lot of stick for being greedy and only concerned with themselves but the fact is the whole public sector is top heavy and the people on the bottom are getting shafted as usual.

I regret going into work every day but a jobs a job regardless of what you do. We all need money, pissing and moaning about earning less money while still earning a very decent wage is rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

paperclip2 wrote: »

Now the confession is out of the way I'll give you a run down on my typical work. I work in a frontline service that directs people into further and higher education and training. There are three distinct jobs outlined for these kinds of services but we have only ever been in a position to fill two of them. We work on a one-to-one and group basis with adult and further education students as well as provide tailored information packs to the general public. And for the record its not FAS :).

Since March, thanks to the moratorium, I alone have been covering every aspect of the work of the service. All guidance, all information provision, all research and all admin. The demand for our service has increased stratospherically given the current climate. Govt guidelines would say that I should be seeing no more than 15-18 one to-one clients per week. Yesterday alone I saw 9, had two case conferences and worked with one group of 28 people. FAS and the DFSA account for 40% of the referrals to our service. I provide outreach services to two further education centres, two jobsclubs and all community and adult education projects run by the local VEC and partnership company, as well as having a remit to provide tailored educational information to the adult population of the county who are aged 18 and not currently in full-time education. On a some weeks total beneficiaries of our service can number over 70 people. The follow-up is a bit of a bitch some times. :)

Now heres the kicker. Our budget has the money in it to hire someone to help out. To do some of the admin etc, but that cant happen because of the moratorium. So in november, I will be having to spend tax-payers money on utterly non-essential rubbish just to ensure that we retain our exisiting budget for the coming year. How does that make sense? This is just one of the examples of the stupidity endemic in the current management of this country.

Hey but at least for now I have a job. :rolleyes: But thats dependent on the money not running out for this project. I'm not nicely permanent and pensionable, nor am I alone in this. There are plenty of Public Service workers also living under the threat of job loss because of the times we are in.To be honest I could live with a pay cut if I could trust that money it saved would be used effectively but I'm pretty damn sure that right now it wont.

My husband works in the private sector. Recently his pay was cut by 25% with no negotiation. His bosses justified this by saying they had taken a reduction too; they were down by 16% in their bonuses, poor things. :rolleyes: Financial inequity it seems is not just rife in the public sector.

I think it's bang out of order to openly admit to spending tax payers money on useless rubbish just to keep a budget. If all depts stopped this crap, the budgets could be better allocated next time around. I am sure that you personally are hard working (when not on Boards;)) but your managers are obviously incapable.

By persuing this plan you just help paint yourself in a bad light when the stories come out about such a group spent €100k of taxpayers cash on luminous paperclips etc. etc. If you can't spend it, give it back.

Long Onion wrote: »
    I think it's bang out of order to openly admit to spending tax payers money on useless rubbish just to keep a budget. If all depts stopped this crap, the budgets could be better allocated next time around. I am sure that you personally are hard working (when not on Boards;)) but your managers are obviously incapable.

By persuing this plan you just help paint yourself in a bad light when the stories come out about such a group spent €100k of taxpayers cash on luminous paperclips etc. etc. If you can't spend it, give it back.

I'd say the reason paperclip2 (or any other public workers) wouldn't give the money back would be because of the possibility of losing his/her job as a result. I know I wouldn't.

Would you give the money back if you knew that down the line it would lead you to losing your job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

had ta stop right there - public sector and on boards at 11:30? :pac:

Wossack wrote: »

You're right, public sector workers are paid to work 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, even when sick :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Won't someone think of the Children? (H. Lovejoy, Springfield, USA, 2003)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

After working in the public sector for a while all I can say is some are over paid wasters and some are underpaid hard workers. The majority have a large chip on their shoulders when it comes to work. A private company could not function with the waste PS have.

Considering the SIPTU offices use contract cleaners they are hypocrites.

I worked on part of a software system where the software was made have less functionality in order to keep a position open rather than just improve the process. Saw this once in the private sector but they were only doing so for a year and had it so it was configurable once the person in question retired.

My wife works for a state agency so if there are cuts I am likely to feel the effects. My wife works very hard and has a stressful job so she doesn't think she should get a cut and while I support her there needs to be reform.

Kipperhell wrote: »
    After working in the public sector for a while all I can say is some are over paid wasters and some are underpaid hard workers. The majority have a large chip on their shoulders when it comes to work. A private company could not function with the waste PS have.

Considering the SIPTU offices use contract cleaners they are hypocrites.

I worked on part of a software system where the software was made have less functionality in order to keep a position open rather than just improve the process. Saw this once in the private sector but they were only doing so for a year and had it so it was configurable once the person in question retired.

My wife works for a state agency so if there are cuts I am likely to feel the effects. My wife works very hard and has a stressful job so she doesn't think she should get a cut and while I support her there needs to be reform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I can spend it if I was given the freedom to spend it on what we actually need i.e. staff resources which would result in an increase in productivity.
    If this money is unspent then the budget is reduced by that amount the following year and we will not be able to provide the requisite level of service.

If I do not spend it I will be held accountable by my line managers, there will be no kudos for having handed it back. Just vilification for not utilising it creatively. What would you do?
    Wossack wrote: »

And? So far today I have submitted three reports, updated a month and a half of client data and responded to four client queries, two email and two on the phone. I have arranged a further three one-to-one appointments and secured personal counselling services for another two people. I feel no guilt at being on Boards at any time because I am just that fooking good at what I do. ;)

• Advertisement

Warfi wrote: »
    I'd say the reason paperclip2 (or any other public workers) wouldn't give the money back would be because of the possibility of losing his/her job as a result. I know I wouldn't.

Would you give the money back if you knew that down the line it would lead you to losing your job?

Yes of course, the only way to ensure you keep your job in the public sector is to spend taxpayers money on useless unnecessary crap. Hell if you do it well enough they'll even let you retire early with an enhanced pension, boosted ex-gratia and a car.

Yes of course, the only way to ensure you keep your job in the public sector is to spend taxpayers money on useless unnecessary crap. Hell if you do it well enough they'll even let you retire early with an enhanced pension, boosted ex-gratia and a car.

Most workers, private or public, are very good at what they do. They also have bills to pay. I don't think they're trying to hatch a grand plan to cheat taxpayers of money. So, literally down to the brass tacks, would you give money back if you knew it would lead yout to losing your job somewhere down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Every time I turn on the radio or read my paper all I seem to hear or read about are, to quote, 'fcuking gimps' complaining about people who are getting paid for doing their jobs.

Change the record

What record do you play?

I can spend it if I was given the freedom to spend it on what we actually need i.e. staff resources which would result in an increase in productivity.

You are spending it - on crap you said so yourself.
    If this money is unspent then the budget is reduced by that amount the following year and we will not be able to provide the requisite level of service.

You can obviously provide the requisite level of service without it if you are reduced to spending it on crap just to get rid of it. This also means that you were given too much this year.
    If I do not spend it I will be held accountable by my line managers, there will be no kudos for having handed it back. Just vilification for not utilising it creatively. What would you do?

You line managers are immoral and bad at their jobs, doing the right thing should not be motivated by kudos. I would give it back, hope that my peers would do the same and thank myself for avoiding an increased levy/salary cut

And? So far today I have submitted three reports, updated a month and a half of client data and responded to four client queries, two email and two on the phone. I have arranged a further three one-to-one appointments and secured personal counselling services for another two people. I feel no guilt at being on Boards at any time because I am just that fooking good at what I do. ;)

You could have done more - P.S. you are still online, do you really need an assistant?

Most workers, private or public, are very good at what they do. They also have bills to pay. I don't think they're trying to hatch a grand plan to cheat taxpayers of money. So, literally down to the brass tacks, would you give money back if you knew it would lead yout to losing your job somewhere down the line?

Generalisation in the extreme - many of my colleagues are not particularly gifted at what they do, nor are they motivated to better themselves, many will admit this.

As to your point about the job loss, I never said that it was a scheme to waste taxpayers money, it's jus irresponsible strategy borne from being self serving. If all depts returned unused funding, they would get the correct amount the following year, the underfunded depts would get an increase and there may not have been a levy imposed. If you are reduced to squandering it on crap, you didn't need it in the first place. Spending it just to get more next year is plain greed.

orourkeda wrote: »
    What record do you play?

I don't play the record, our wonderful government plays it (and plays us people against each other quite efficiently too, I must say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Govt guidelines would say that I should be seeing no more than 15-18 one to-one clients per week. Yesterday alone I saw 9, ..................

.....................So in november, I will be having to spend tax-payers money on utterly non-essential rubbish just to ensure that we retain our exisiting budget for the coming year.

Why do Govt guidelines say 15-18 per week when you are capable of seeing 9 in one day ?

Also, Don't waste the money. Why is it deemed essential that you retain the existing budget next year when you don't have to spend it this year ?
    Save money ffs and the cuts might just be less.

Generalisation in the extreme - many of my colleagues are not particularly gifted at what they do, nor are they motivated to better themselves, many will admit this.

As to your point about the job loss, I never said that it was a scheme to waste taxpayers money, it's jus irresponsible strategy borne from being self serving. If all depts returned unused funding, they would get the correct amount the following year, the underfunded depts would get an increase and there may not have been a levy imposed. If you are reduced to squandering it on crap, you didn't need it in the first place. Spending it just to get more next year is plain greed.

I think the people I work with are fantastic....maybe you should change your job, or your outlook.

You still haven't answered what you would do if your job was on the line. Are you expecting public sector workers to be martyrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I think the people I work with are fantastic....maybe you should change your job, or your outlook.

You still haven't answered what you would do if your job was on the line. Are you expecting public sector workers to be martyrs?

I dont get how they are martyrs? By artifically expanding their annual budget theyre keeping the money from another department. If a person sits there all day and does nothing at all and is paid for it then yes, they should bring it up and be reasigned. If they have a budget of 5k for stationary and are only spending 3 of it, why should they keep doing it?

• Advertisement

You line managers are immoral and bad at their jobs, doing the right thing should not be motivated by kudos. I would give it back, hope that my peers would do the same and thank myself for avoiding an increased levy/salary cut

Sorry, just saw this answer.

Well then, you're a better person than I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

After working in the public sector for a while all I can say is some are over paid wasters and some are underpaid hard workers

This is main problem with the unions, they protect the non-productive employees at the expense of the the productive, who will now have to take blanket cuts, instead of a target reform, due to the carrying the burden of their unproductive colleagues.

I like my job, and my outlook thank you very much. I would not spend the money on crap just so I could have more next year. I would rather me a martyr than immoral. If you are happy at having civil servants with no moral responsibility than good luck to you but you do realise that you can never criticise:

Mary Harney spending money on her hair & make up
    John O'Donoghue's limo rides
    Rody Molloys first class life
    Fred Goodwin's pension
    Sean Fitzpatrick ...

Lax morals are lax morals.

P.S. the majority of the public sector enjoy security of tenure so your argument is not so strong.

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I dont get how they are martyrs? By artifically expanding their annual budget theyre keeping the money from another department. If a person sits there all day and does nothing at all and is paid for it then yes, they should bring it up and be reasigned. If they have a budget of 5k for stationary and are only spending 3 of it, why should they keep doing it?

Well looking at the big picture, if your section doesn't need that much money to keep going, it's possible that down the line that that section won't get money when it's badly needed. Also, jobs might be cut because the idea is there that 'Ah sure you don't need that much staff anyway'. Maybe a few years ago you'd be re-assigned. Not now. I lost my full time job last year due to cuts, I still haven't been re-assigned to a full time job. Do days here and there, but that's it

P.S. the majority of the public sector enjoy security of tenure so your argument is not so strong.

I thought you didn't like generalisations? : P

By the way, I beg to differ : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm a little bit sick and tired of people going on about how hard doctors and nurses have it, i'm sure they're both quite demanding jobs in their own ways and all that and should be reasonably well rewarded, my problem with them is this - in the 10 or so times i've been to a&e over the years i see the undeniable ques of people waiting on trolleys and what not, i've been one of them a couple of times, but i've also seen doctors, nurses, orderlies and every other make and model of HSE employee sauntering around, yapping to their mates and generally scratching their arses. I've rarely seen anybody exert themselves and certainly never to the degree that they whine on about. We all know we need doctors and we need nurses, we also need good ones so we need to pay well to attract them, but all we have here is an overstaffed, overpaid gravy train full of whingers who know full well there jobs are among the most secure in the developed world, so shut up whinging and get on with it and maybe a bit less arse scratching would get those ques down too! You would never see a bloody macdonalds run in such an inefficient manner, why on earth should a hospital be?

whatever about nurses, which is a job anybody could do, but don't for a second suggest that doctors are wasters, because you couldn't be further from the truth. and as much as it may surprise you, being a doctor is certainly not as lucrative as everybody thinks - they make money from doing 30-50 shifts, not 30-50 hour weeks like everybody else does.

I'd like to see what you'd say if your boss told you on monday morning that you weren't going home till wednesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lu Tze wrote: »
    This is main problem with the unions, they protect the non-productive employees at the expense of the the productive, who will now have to take blanket cuts, instead of a target reform, due to the carrying the burden of their unproductive colleagues.

Spot on there Lu, there is a big chunk of the problem, not it all but a big chunk.

Get a job in the public service, HSE, or wherever, bed in, and resist change to the nth degree,,whilst chugging along with the mob.
    Reality has to be faced and unfortunately there are only two options in my opinion to balance the books.

Pay cut or redundancy.

Take your pick.

I will of course say also that this sorry state of affairs is not the fault of the Public service per se, but the gimps who recruited so many, and the lazy gimps who saw it as their passport to easy street in work terms.

No denying it, country is firmly behind the 8 ball.

I like my job, and my outlook thank you very much. I would not spend the money on crap just so I could have more next year. I would rather me a martyr than immoral. If you are happy at having civil servants with no moral responsibility than good luck to you but you do realise that you can never criticise:

Mary Harney spending money on her hair & make up
    John O'Donoghue's limo rides
    Rody Molloys first class life
    Fred Goodwin's pension
    Sean Fitzpatrick ...

Lax morals are lax morals.

I would never complain about a politician's expenses....I think they have a tough job and I for one would not do the job for love nor money.

Of course, you'll have the bad apples, but I don't believe in tarnishing a whole section because the media has fed me a few bits and pieces.

I thought you didn't like generalisations? : P

By the way, I beg to differ : (

It's not a generalisation, it's a truth.

I sympathise with you for having the misfortune of losing your job, but the fact is that the majority of public sector workers enjoy security of tenure. Those on fixed term and temporary contracts are in the minority.

I would never complain about a politician's expenses....I think they have a tough job and I for one would not do the job for love nor money.

And of Rody Molloy, Fred Goodwin and Sean Fitzpatrick? is this also to be considered acceptable conduct?

And of Rody Molloy, Fred Goodwin and Sean Fitzpatrick? is this also to be considered acceptable conduct?

It' not acceptable...but is everyone in the private sector innocent?

I have this in my edited post, but of course there are bad apples in the public sector. I don't think it's fair to tarnish a whole section because of the few who give it a bad name.

Finnigan would be a good example of a bad apple in the private sector. It doesn't mean that the whole section are money-grabbing, it means that he is. Most ordinary workers are just trying to pay their bills, both public and private

• Advertisement

It's not a generalisation, it's a truth.

I sympathise with you for having the misfortune of losing your job, but the fact is that the majority of public sector workers enjoy security of tenure. Those on fixed term and temporary contracts are in the minority.

I suppose if there wasn't job security, nobody would do the jobs in the public sector. Wages aren't the best, and there are no financial perks, bonuses, liquid lunches, Christmas parties paid by the Dept of Education etc. Well not in teaching anyway, I couldn't be sure about nursing, garda etc.

There'll certainly be a post at some stage complaining that I shouldn't be going on about the wage level and the lack of financial perks. I took teaching jobs during the boom, there weren't any financial perks then either. So I don't think it's fair to say that well public sector workers have secure jobs, therefore they should have a pay cut. I would consider other reasons valid for a pay cut, but not that.
    I know I took those jobs so that one day I would be in a secure position. Kinda sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Flutt, It's like you're speaking to me down the porcelain telephone.

You can argue at length with the Public sector moaners, It has be stated that there are underpaid hard workers and very very overpaid wasters but thats the cancer of the system, well I use the term 'System' loosely. Bottom line is that Industrial Action is a luxury Private sectors are not afforded (and job security, AND a pension).

Jesus, would anybody in the Public sector have the gaul to strike...they'd be villified and I'd be leading the charge. I could just about possibly live with them moaning about a pay decrease but to strike due to being 'owed' a 3.5% increase....F%%K ALL THE WAY OFF PLEASE.

I suppose if there wasn't job security, nobody would do the jobs in the public sector. Wages aren't the best, and there are no financial perks, bonuses, liquid lunches, Christmas parties paid by the Dept of Education etc. Well not in teaching anyway, I couldn't be sure about nursing, garda etc.

There are huge perks in the public sector which are worth a lot of money. Teachers' holidays are fantastic and many teachers I know earn extra money during this time. Many jobs do 40 hour weeks in one location, teachers certainly may be on school grounds they certainly do not do 40 hours of class or even a full schedule in a day. While reviewing home work takes time as does setting class work but most jobs in the private sector involve unpaid overtime too. Sick leave, parental leave, pensions and the various other benefits are often better than the financial rewards of the private sector.

In 7 years I would say the benefits of the private sector amounted to no more than 2K but I don't call lunch with a client a perk or financial reward. This understanding about private work is the chip on the shoulder that the PS seem to have in my eyes.

Anybody on boards while meant to be working is dossing no matter private or public. Guilty of it myself but I always knew it was dossing there is no excuse for it really.

Flutt, It's like you're speaking to me down the porcelain telephone.

You can argue at length with the Public sector moaners, It has be stated that there are underpaid hard workers and very very overpaid wasters but thats the cancer of the system, well I use the term 'System' loosely. Bottom line is that Industrial Action is a luxury Private sectors are not afforded (and job security, AND a pension).

Jesus, would anybody in the Public sector have the gaul to strike...they'd be villified and I'd be leading the charge. I could just about possibly live with them moaning about a pay decrease but to strike due to being 'owed' a 3.5% increase....F%%K ALL THE WAY OFF PLEASE.

I know of a private company near me who've had people on strike for this last month or so. They seem to be liking the 'luxury' of being on strike.

And please - public sector moaners? Do you not think it's ironic we're in a thread moaning about public sector workers?

There are huge perks in the public sector which are worth a lot of money. Teachers' holidays are fantastic and many teachers I know earn extra money during this time. Many jobs do 40 hour weeks in one location, teachers certainly may be on school grounds they certainly do not do 40 hours of class or even a full schedule in a day. While reviewing home work takes time as does setting class work but most jobs in the private sector involve unpaid overtime too. Sick leave, parental leave, pensions and the various other benefits are often better than the financial rewards of the private sector.

In 7 years I would say the benefits of the private sector amounted to no more than 2K but I don't call lunch with a client a perk or financial reward. This understanding about private work is the chip on the shoulder that the PS seem to have in my eyes.

Anybody on boards while meant to be working is dossing no matter private or public. Guilty of it myself but I always knew it was dossing there is no excuse for it really.

Having worked in both the public sector and private sector, I look back on the small financial perks I used to get in the private sector and think it was nice to be shown (if even in a small way) that your work was being valued. So I don't have a chip on my shoulder about private workers getting perks. Good luck to them, I know I took them.
    When I work, I'm in class all day. Even leaving the class to go to the loo for a minute is a luxury you cannot take (unless another adult happens to be there with you....not in the toilet I hasten to add!!).

Having worked in both the public sector and private sector, I look back on the small financial perks I used to get in the private sector and think it was nice to be shown (if even in a small way) that your work was being valued. So I don't have a chip on my shoulder about private workers getting perks. Good luck to them, I know I took them.
    When I work, I'm in class all day. Even leaving the class to go to the loo for a minute is a luxury you cannot take (unless another adult happens to be there with you....not in the toilet I hasten to add!!).

So your boss never tells you how you are doing and no kids give you presents at Chirstmas? How long is "all day" it certainly isn't 9-5, 5 days a week with 20 days holidays is it? Many people can't just run off to the loo while doing their jobs so there is nothing surprising or shocking there.

You are exaggerating private sector perks and understating perks of your own job. Not much point as most people know at least some of the perks of being a teacher. I am more than willing to hear how bad your work is but you have to be honest too.

So you expect them to work for free.

How you got that from my post is quite bemusing.

So your boss never tells you how you are doing and no kids give you presents at Chirstmas? How long is "all day" it certainly isn't 9-5, 5 days a week with 20 days holidays is it? Many people can't just run off to the loo while doing their jobs so there is nothing surprising or shocking there.

You are exaggerating private sector perks and understating perks of your own job. Not much point as most people know at least some of the perks of being a teacher. I am more than willing to hear how bad your work is but you have to be honest too.

I don't question the hard earned perks people get in private sector, so I don't think people should question me aboutthe hard earned perks I get in the public sector. I know I never questioned the perks the public sector had when I worked in the private sector. I'd friends who worked in the public sector, and I knew just how hard they worked.

If you don't like working in a job where you have only twenty days holidays, you should leave it. If you think teachers have it easy, I suggest you do the job before actually saying that. I would never assume a job is difficult or easy unless I've actually done it myself. And I don't understand people who go around saying it's easy when they've never actually done the job (I ask them)

And as for asking me what I do in my day, you tell me what you do in your day and I'll tell you whether you deserve your wage (which is, in essence, what you're asking of me)

, so I don't think people should question me aboutthe hard earned perks I get in the public sector. I know I never questioned the perks , what you're asking of me)

Isn't this the bloody reason we are in the mess, because the gravy train is not accountable and anything goes. We needed to raise the questions many moons ago

We can list of so many example of skullduggery and cronyism and ridiculous and immoral spending habits in the public sector.

It#s my money being robbed and wasted, damn straight I will question it

walshb wrote: »
    Isn't this the bloody reason we are in the mess, because the gravy train is not accountable and anything goes. We needed to raise the questions many moons ago

We can list of so many example of skullduggery and cronyism and ridiculous and immoral spending habits in the public sector.

It#s my money being robbed and wasted, damn straight I will question it

You've every right to question it, just don't take it out on the ordinary workers who are trying to earn an honest wage

• Advertisement
Advertisement