Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP reinstall - can't connect to the internet!

• 02-10-2009 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine had a problem with his PC and let it sit there for months. He finally got it sorted - he wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled Window XP from scratch. Everything seemed fine.

However, since he reconnected his modem (NTL broadband) the PC can't access the internet. When he goes into Control Panel/Network Connections the connection shows up there and the two monitors in the icon ar blue, yet he can't do anything on the net. When you right-click and view the Status of the connection it says it's connected but is not sending or receiving any data.

It's not a firewall issue. What else could it be? Does he need to reinstall his modem software/update the drivers for the modem? And is this is the case, if he doesn't have the CD that came with it what is the alternative?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

wirelss or wired connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Sorry, wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

You will need the name of the network card go on the makers site and down load new drivers on aother pc an install them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i use driversmax its a free program that will find and installe the latest drivers for all your hardware even unknown devices

Wush, when you say network card, do you mean the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It seems like the drivers are there and it's connected.
    Can you post the output of ipconfig from cmd.exe ?
    EDIT:
    also, ipconfig /all
    route print

I can't unfortunately.

It's a friend's machine and he's in work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

the network card on the pc were you plug the modem into sometimes xp will not put the drivers on that will make it work so u need to go on the internet from your pc find out what the driver are a download on a memory stick an install them on your friends pc

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

doubledown wrote: »
    Hi all,

A friend of mine had a problem with his PC and let it sit there for months. He finally got it sorted - he wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled Window XP from scratch. Everything seemed fine.

However, since he reconnected his modem (NTL broadband) the PC can't access the internet. When he goes into Control Panel/Network Connections the connection shows up there and the two monitors in the icon ar blue, yet he can't do anything on the net. When you right-click and view the Status of the connection it says it's connected but is not sending or receiving any data.

It's not a firewall issue. What else could it be? Does he need to reinstall his modem software/update the drivers for the modem? And is this is the case, if he doesn't have the CD that came with it what is the alternative?

Many thanks in advance.

Does it show as local area connection? If it does, right click on it and select repair. Once that's done try again. If it's still not working, we need the output of ipconfig

MarkR wrote: »
    Does it show as local area connection? If it does, right click on it and select repair. Once that's done try again. If it's still not working, we need the output of ipconfig

He tried the repair option and it did nothing. When he gets home later I'll get him to run ipconfig and I'll post the result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement