Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales of Ballycumber

Options
  • 02-10-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Did anyone see this yet. I saw it last night. It was extremely average. Maybe there's just teething problems as the actors get to know it. However it just didn't seem to work and I don't think the material the best to begin with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dingo

Saw it last night, and thought it was wonderful - moving, poetic, rooted in a particular place but with universal resonance, full of stories told in rich, heightened language.

The actors, particularly Aaron Monaghan and Liam Carney, were superb.

Colm Byrne has a review here

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Saw the matinee today. Rea didn't seem to be particularly comfortable in the first two acts but was very adept in the latter ones.

While I liked Barry's dialogue, the narrative could've done with a little tuning. It's perhaps a little too subtle and the principle characters could have been made a little more explicable than they were. The Abbey's production value and the direction were, as usual, of an extremely high standard. Worth a look, certainly, and it definitely generated some fine barstool criticism this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Like the first poster didn't find this a great play, mind you much as I tried didn't enjoy The Pride of parnell St last year or the one in the Gate a few years ago Our Lady of Sligo(??). I'm beginning to think he is overrated, Loved the secret scripture though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goldilocks77

Saw it two weeks ago - my first trip to the Abbey so I was looking forward to it. Didn't know Aaron Monaghan was in it, thought he was very good as was Liam Carney. Stephen Rea makes it look so easy... I didn't think the play itself was great, but I really loved the set design.

Advertisement