Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway to Dublin airport avoiding Ballinasloe fair

• 02-10-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    wondering if i can get from Galway to Dublin Airport tomorrow (saturday) by avoiding Ballinasloe, as i believe the horse fair is there, without it adding a huge amount of time to the journey. its a trip i havent done for a few years
    any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fifib wrote: »
    hi guys
    wondering if i can get from Galway to Dublin Airport tomorrow (saturday) by avoiding Ballinasloe, as i believe the horse fair is there,

Don't worry you'll have no problem going through Ballinasloe. There will be a load of travellers going through there tomorrow.

Its depends where you live really if its worth while. From my home in north Galway we would alway go the back way to Athlone.

Abbey > Moylough > Mountbellew > Ballyforan > Athlone. This is much shorter than driving into Galway to get the N6 for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I think....now I just think that the Ballinasloe section of the M6 may be open for to help with traffic while the fair is on. This is what I heard, but can't confirm. Maybe a call to the Coco might sort that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

MargeS wrote: »
    I think....now I just think that the Ballinasloe section of the M6 may be open for to help with traffic while the fair is on. This is what I heard, but can't confirm. Maybe a call to the Coco might sort that?
    It's not. The motorway still ends East of Ballinasloe as the bridge isn't ready yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Robbo wrote: »
    It's not. The motorway still ends East of Ballinasloe as the bridge isn't ready yet.
    Maybe they set up a ramp so cars can jump over it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe they set up a ramp so cars can jump over it?
    Folks in Hazzard county hadn''t seen a flying Ford Fiesta in a good long time...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aer Arann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

As Robbo said; but I usually go thru Monivea then on to Mountbellew.

Its a super quick way to Athlone; road is pretty shocking tho if you're not used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The new bridge on the M6 is ready, its the Ballinasloe West junction that isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

One should never have to travel through that arse of a town, knacker fair or not. All flea bites and stinking socks.

Bypass will be grand enough - and the ramp idea is pretty good. A tunnel that goes right under it would be mega cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Its depends where you live really if its worth while. From my home in north Galway we would alway go the back way to Athlone.

Abbey > Moylough > Mountbellew > Ballyforan > Athlone. This is much shorter than driving into Galway to get the N6 for us.

That's quick, but this is quicker:

Galway > Carnmore > Monivea > Menlough > Caltra > Ballyforan > Athlone

Roads are not great but there is little or no traffic, you will easily do it in 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

forumfiend wrote: »
    That's quick, but this is quicker:

Galway > Carnmore > Monivea > Menlough > Caltra > Ballyforan > Athlone

Roads are not great but there is little or no traffic, you will easily do it in 90 minutes.

I drive this road every day and you'll do it in 1hr 15mins from Galway Briarhill(Dunnes/Monivea roundabout) to Athlone. After you drive through Menlough keep an eye out for a small council yard on your left about 1 mile after Menlough, there's an elevated steel tank in the yard. Approx 300m after this you turn left at a small pub which brings you on into Castle Blakney and 2kms later Caltra. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

fifib wrote: »
    any suggestions?

fly to dublin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The bog road from Mountbellew to Ballyforan is much quicker than going thru Caltra, you'll be in Athlone in an hour or less if the road is quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

went through Ballinasloe at 1.30 pm and again at 6 pm, and didnt have any problems at all. No more traffic that usual. Either the fair hadnt kicked off properly and stopped again, or traffic is managed better this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Thanks for your help guys. Went the N63 way to athlone.made it to Dublin airport in exactly 2hours from Lackagh. was well impressed even with the odd tractor on the road!!
    Came home via ballinasloe, wasn't too bad say was only about 10mins delay about 5.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

Was travelling from athlone to galway and Was held up for an hour in ballinasloe....Arrived at 8pm and left in or around 9pm....Was terrible traffic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bummer wrote: »
    Was travelling from athlone to galway and Was held up for an hour in ballinasloe....Arrived at 8pm and left in or around 9pm....Was terrible traffic :(

Same here, took an hour at around 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Edit - I now realised that the fair wasn't in full swing on Saturday.

Need to go to the airport next saturday, leaving Galway at 6.30 am on the citylink - do you guys reckon the bus will make it to Dublin without delay at that hour?

Advertisement