Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some someones user name is Evil_Clown.....

Options
  • 02-10-2009 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

and they posted something basically saying I was talking out my arse. I replied explaining my post and finished with the line "You're some clown alright", which by the users own admission, for all to see, they are.

Now does that warrant a ban for personal abuse, from After Hours of all places ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Jip, you pmd me about this and without waiting for a reply you came here.
    I have read the post again and it still comes across as personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Fair enough, I assumed that because the ban came almost instantaneously you had read the pm and chose not to reply, as happens regularly.

I honestly don't think it's personal abuse at all, it's more tongue and cheek at the users name. If the user reported it they need a tougher skin but I don't think anyone but the easily offended would find that personal abuse. Even if I straight out called someone a clown I don't think it can be construed as 'abuse' in anyway unless the word 'abuse' was used in the loosest of terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It was indeed a reported post which is why it was dealt with so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So Jip, if your name was "John Assface" and I said to you, "Yeah, you've some ass-face alright", that's not me giving you abuse?

Absolutely not, how would you think that's abuse ? However if my name was John Sorefoot, calling me Assface would be, but calling me hop-along wouldn't.

Can I retrospectively report Evil Clown for calling me as bull ****ter ? What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I really have little patience for semantics..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

seamus wrote: »
    So Jip, if your name was "John Assface" and I said to you, "Yeah, you've some ass-face alright", that's not me giving you abuse?

I dont know how many times people have called me a turd and they didnt get banned....just throwing that fact out there

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I really have little patience for semantics..

I have little patience for slow drivers and queues, but I don't pop onto random threads to tell people about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dont know how many times people have called me a turd and they didnt get banned....just throwing that fact out there
    They cant all be wrong ;)

Jip wrote: »
    Absolutely not, how would you think that's abuse ? However if my name was John Sorefoot, calling me Assface would be, but calling me hop-along wouldn't.
    What if I said, "Your face looks like an ass, John Assface"?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take offence because as I have never met you I realise you wouldn't know how unbelievably gorgeous I am.

However if I did meet you and said it to me face I'd probably still laugh anyway, why would anyone take offence to what a stranger thinks about them ?

Then why should we be concerned about any personal abuse? Surely we cann just laugh it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wouldn't take offence because as I have never met you I realise you wouldn't know how unbelievably gorgeous I am.

However if I did meet you and said it to me face I'd probably still laugh anyway, why would anyone take offence to what a stranger thinks about them ?

You ginger, glasses-wearing fat-cheeked person.

Kiera wrote: »
    They cant all be wrong ;)

Exactly. And "technically" your post could be looked at as personal abuse too. The ban for calling him a clown seems very silly indeed.

Des wrote: »
    You ginger, glasses-wearing fat-cheeked person.

Ah, I see you don't visit the Eye glasses forum, as of last year I'm glasses free, but wait till I get you for the other stuff {raises fist !}

Seamus, exactly, why get bothered about what people say about you unless you actually valued their opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Exactly. And "technically" your post could be looked at as personal abuse too. The ban for calling him a clown seems very silly indeed.
    Not really. I didnt call you a turd (as much as i'd like to).

Kiera wrote: »
    Not really. I didnt call you a turd (as much as i'd like to).

Yeah but you implied it and that hurt my feelings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I know I call you Turd a lot but that's mainly because it's your username's first name. It's a shorthand more than anything else. Any reported posts of you actually being called "a turd" that weren't actioned?
    Jip wrote:
    Seamus, exactly, why get bothered about what people say about you unless you actually valued their opinion ?

Fair point. I personally wouldn't and obviously neither would you. But some people do. And for the sake of consistency and simplicity, it's better to treat all cases of personal abuse as wrongdoing.

javaboy wrote: »
    I know I call you Turd a lot but that's mainly because it's your username's first name. It's a shorthand more than anything else. Any reported posts of you actually being called "a turd" that weren't actioned?

No because I've never reported posts because making a joke or "insult" on someones username is not personal abuse IMO...well that and because I am a shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Taken in context, and with the tone of your post your clown remark does appear to be personal abuse.
    How is it ridiculous ? Tell you what, before you make another accusation like that take a walk down to the protest, open your eyes and look at some of the signs they're holding and also look at their licence. Then maybe have a listen to some of the radio interviews since it began.

The least you could do it try give me a reason why it's ridiculous rather than give me the standard "a friend of a mothers dog told me" crap. You're some clown alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

OP is called Jip and nobodies made a joke of that yet

I'm genuinely surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Your such a seamus, seamus.

Ban me please.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Calling someone a clown is hardly ban material surely? Bit over sensitive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe we need a clown forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

5starpool wrote: »
    Calling someone a clown is hardly ban material surely? Bit over sensitive imo.

Agreed, seems to be over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have little patience for slow drivers and queues, but I don't pop onto random threads to tell people about it.

You opened a thread on Feedback, so it does fall within my domain as an Admin to comment on it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Clown wouldnt strike me as a terrible term of abuse. I cant comment on what I think of JIP or it would be terribly hypocritical.

Oh and Helpdesk FTW.

Oh x 2, you can see when someone has read your PM or not.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement