Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Okay, cool or "sad?"

• 02-10-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭

“Big boys don’t cry.” That was the mantra we were raised on back in the days when the web was something you found in the dark corners of a garden shed.

Cris Arreola breaks down in tears after losing to Vitali Klitschko in Los Angeles.

So when we bumped our heads, skinned our knees, or didn‘t win the sack race on school Sport‘s Day, we were expected to grin and bear it without the need for fluids.

We had good role models too, especially in sport, where our heroes were stoic, stiff upper lip, take it on the chin types, who, to quote Kipling, “met Triumph and Disaster, and treated those two impostors the same.”

Well, times have changed and I’ve got kids of my own now. And there’s absolutely no way the “big boys don’t cry” mantra will fly, because everywhere you look someone is wailing.

The latest example came on Saturday night, when Mexican-American heavyweight boxer, Chris Arreola, a 6′3″, 251 pound bruiser with a face only a mother could love, (and then only in dim light), bawled his eyes out after failing to relieve Vitali Klitschko of his WBC world title.

It didn’t help that Klitschko is the very definition of stoic so that Arreola looked like a big cry- baby by comparison.

But all the same, watching the self-styled “Nightmare” from East L.A, dripping on the shoulder of his coach after his title-dream was convincingly shattered was uncomfortable to say the least.

But then I started to think about it, and realized that while he might have looked like a bit of a grizzle-guts to Generation-X’ers like me, the 28-year-old was only doing what comes naturally to those born in Generation Y.

Crying in public has become as common among role models as scandals and bling, and sports stars who blubber in front of the cameras are just complying with the social norm.

Look at the more recent examples. Roger Federer loses to Rafael Nadal in this year’s Australian Open final, and weeps like he’s just lost his favorite uncle. Granted, Roger is a serial sobber, but this was his finest hour and he took next to no flak for it.

And so it continued. NBA legend, Michael Jordan, marks his induction to the Basketball Hall of Fame, with a tear-stained acceptance speech.

Habitual retiree, Brett Favre, departs the NFL, for the first time, in a flood of tears. John Terry misses a penalty to lose Chelsea the 2008 UEFA Champions League final, cue the waterworks.

Now obviously, there’ve been notable incidents of crying in sport in the more distant past. 17-year-old Pele howling when he won the FIFA World Cup with Brazil in 1958; Paul Gascoigne welling up when he was yellow carded in the 1990 World Cup semis; Oliver McCall blubbering so hard during a heavyweight bout with Lennox Lewis in 1997 that the referee stopped the fight!

But these were exceptions to the rule. And, in the cases I’ve mentioned, easily explained away by youth or mental instability that became apparent later.

However, in today’s society it seems you don’t need to be young or bonkers to turn on the taps, you just have to be human. And I’m still not sure whether that’s a good thing or bad thing.

Posted by: CNN Sport Anchor, Terry Baddoo
    Filed under: World Sport Blog

I have to say it's rather sad and cringeing to see grown men crying likes babies because of maybe losing a match or game or fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't see the problem with it. If someone feels that passionately about something then why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

“Too long, didn't read.” That was the mantra we were raised on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This happens allot in UFC, it's only the American fighters that do it. It's not even plain crying either it's blubbering "I want my mammy" child tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

John Terry would bring a tear to an old stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

as fighters they are possibly secure enough in their masculinity not to worry what people think if they shed a tear in the emotion of the occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Boxing is for pussies, tennis is for lesbians and soccer is for lady boys & granny shaggers - real men play darts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    John Terry would bring a tear to an old stone

Tears of laughter maybe?

What a miss, couldnt have happened to a bigger wank3r :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

walshb wrote: »
    Cris Arreola
    Snigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Snigger.

I agree, sounds like a bit of a tit to me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would cry at the death of someone, not at something stupid like sports. But then again, other people are very passionate about their soccer/whatnot (it could be the hugging and kissing when they "score").

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

To be fair, it is boxing, a sport where losing even just one big fight can mean that's the end of you having a good to legendary career in the sport. In this sense I find boxing to be one of the most cruellest professions around. I'd be willing to cut Arreola a lot of slack because of this, after all, he probably knew well that this was the end of him having a worthwhile career in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

ffs I cry at films but I always keep a freshly chopped onion nearby in case someone spots me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

He just spent the night being punched in the head by a 6 foot 7 1/2 inch ,17 stone weight, musclebound Ukranian. I'd probably cry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    He just spent the night being punched in the head by a 6 foot 7 1/2 inch ,17 stone weight, musclebound Ukranian. I'd probably cry too.

yep, it is only acceptable to cry after getting the head pucked off ya by another man the size of vitali klitschko, following a sledgehammer to the nuts, and when you notice a huge scratch on your lovely new jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Men are only allowed to shed a single tear at the retirement of a sporting hero.

I think crying in sport has become a bit of a marketing gimmick. As if it makes that person more 'relatable' to ordinary folk. Real heroes don't cry, they get over disappointment and it makes them stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He's no Gazza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    To be fair, it is boxing, a sport where losing even just one big fight can mean that's the end of you having a good to legendary career in the sport. In this sense I find boxing to be one of the most cruellest professions around. I'd be willing to cut Arreola a lot of slack because of this, after all, he probably knew well that this was the end of him having a worthwhile career in the sport.

Why would losing one fight to the reigning world champion mean you can't have a worthwhile career in the sport?? That's just a wierd thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

slipss wrote: »
    Why would losing one fight to the reigning world champion mean you can't have a worthwhile career in the sport?? That's just a wierd thing to say.

You can have a worth while career but often losing one or two big fights can put the skids on a career. Ricky Hatton seems to be finished after two crushing defeats. The man had a good career up to that point but that's not what he'll be remembered for in the history books. People are doubting whether Dunne can go any further. Before his loss against Poonsawat there was talk that he could have picked up a €1m pay day against Vasquez in Las Vegas. They say the fight can still happen, but only for a third of €1m if he's lucky. Prince Naseem Hamed never recovered from his loss against Barerra. Amir Khan was saved from oblivion after his loss to Prescott only because one of the, if not THE, best coaches in the sport took him under his wing.

All I'm saying that in comparison to a sport like soccer, where there's always "next year", boxing is a very cruel sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Tiger woods cried quite hard after he won his first major after his fathers death - that was grief though and totally justifiable.

I've seen a few of the UFC fighters blubbering after a defeat - fighting is an emotional thing i suppose.

Gazza in 1990 was true manchild blubbering - no excuse for it.

Mind you i nearly got a bit damp eyed watching the x factor one night... i snapped out of it though!! That would have been very very embarrassing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Long Onion wrote: »
    Boxing is for pussies, tennis is for lesbians and soccer is for lady boys & granny shaggers - real men play darts.

I fully endorse this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think it's understandable for them to cry if they've worked hard. I mean if they put everything they can into their training and then lose they probably feel like it was all for nothing. Understandable you might get a bit emotional. As long as they're not bitter it's not too bad.

The modern man is allowed to show their feelings :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think there is anything modern or metro male about it. It's just a damn sissy and possibly a sore loser as well.

Take Federer for example, he is crying like a little baby after the defeat in the Australian Open. The man has made more than 50 Million in prize money alone, has a lovely wife and a life only few could dream of, cop the f&^% on you baby. I like my male sports heroes to be male.

Matthew Pinsent for me was the worst of the lot. I had to turn the tv off when he broke down after winning his 4th gold in Athen I think it was.

6 feet 5 or so and wimpering and snivelling like a little girl:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe if it were acceptable for men to cry, they wouldn't be committing suicide in such high numbers !

</ serious turn for thread >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

It is only ok to cry if only 1 woman sees you, and it gets you laid for having "feelings" - It's in the rules
    http://www.rules4men.com/?id=184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's neither cool nor sad for a man to cry... It's just normal!!!

Emotions can run high over anything (sports, breakups, victory, defeat, physical pain, emotional pain, etc.) and sometimes it is just overwhelming, and crying is the best release.

I usually try hard not to cry in public, due to some macho bullshít, but it has been undone several times:

-Dublin lose to Tyrone in 2008 All Ireland Quarter Final
    -Dublin lose to Kerry in 2009 All Ireland Quarter Final
    -Dublin lose to Mayo in 2006 All Ireland Semi Final
    -Chelsea lose to Fenerbache in Champions League 2008 Second Round
    -Chelsea lose to Manchester United in 2008 Champions League Final
    -Chelsea lose to FC Barcelona in 2009 Champions League Semi Final
    -I fumble the ball into the path of opposition's centre forward and he scores an 89th minute winner, robbing us of the title.
    -Dublin win 5 Leinster Titles in a row
    -Chelsea win 04/05 Premier League
    -Chelsea win 05/06 Premier League
    -Robbie Keane grabs THAT 92nd minute equaliser against Germany
    -Spain rob Ireland in 2002 World Cup 2nd Round... and many, many more!

(eh, quite sad really, but sporting events seem to be the only ones that can make me cry...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Maybe its just me, but when I see a man cry, I just want to hug him to bits/marry him/make wild love to him. Maybe its` just some wierd mothering instinct i`ve developed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

It is only ok to cry if only 1 woman sees you, and it gets you laid for having "feelings" - It's in the rules
    http://www.rules4men.com/?id=184
    Maybe its just me, but when I see a man cry, I just want to hug him to bits/marry him/make wild love to him. Maybe its` just some wierd mothering instinct i`ve developed?

Its true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I am not emotionally invested enough in anything to cry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DazMarz wrote: »
    -Dublin lose to Tyrone in 2008 All Ireland Quarter Final
    -Dublin lose to Kerry in 2009 All Ireland Quarter Final
    -Dublin lose to Mayo in 2006 All Ireland Semi Final
    ...)

I have a cure for that, quit supporting that shower of uselss sh!tes. And, that comes from a Dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dave! wrote: »
    Maybe if it were acceptable for men to cry, they wouldn't be committing suicide in such high numbers !

</ serious turn for thread >

I think that's a good point. Who knows if Darren Sutherland had maybe let it all out he may still be here today.

what annoys me is people who are sore and start bitching after you beat them at something. I don't like losing as much as the next person but there is no need to be a immature brat about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I dunno, all this bloody crying...It has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it's definetly becoming a norm alright. On one hand it could say the expression and release of emotions is a good thing and should be encouraged.
    On another hand it could say that if everyone starts blubbering there's be a serious dip in brave, stoic, independent role models. TBH, in 20 years time and every young male is bawling his eyes out like a woman at everything...I'm not too sure if I like it.

/touch of controversial sexist comment at the end...I know

Advertisement