Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average yearly BMW service costs

• 02-10-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

I have owned my BMW 320d for a year now so i've put it in for a service, initially went back to the BMW garage i bought it in, so they done oil and filter (€190) and said it needed some more filters ( fuel / air intake / breather ), they wanted €420 so i priced around.

Anyway got it for €350 in AC so going ahead with that, but i was wondering about from people on here with BMWs, what are your annual servicing costs - average, i guess i'm just wondering am i going to be stuck with a €600 service every year?

I know BMWs are expensive but just for my own reference, am wondering what other people on here who own / or have owned BMWs pay.

I've come from 6 years of company cars so am a little out of touch ref servicing and prob a bit naive but i know the costs for my wifes car (while not a BMW) but it's nowhere near €600. I also didn't expect a BMW to be the same as a normal car but just want to gauge the cost.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

I'm in the US so prob not much help, but main dealer oil and filter change in big city for Subaru STI - $27, or <20 euro.
    I know that BMW give you free servicing up to 50,000 miles here too. Not directly comparable, but just goes to show....
    We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0

Inspection Services: $0

Wiper Blade Inserts: $0

Brake Pads: $0

Brake Discs: $0

Engine Drive Belts: $0

Brake Fluid Service: $0

I assume everything else is covered under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

cancan wrote: »
    $27, or 20 euro.
    I know that BMW give you free servicing up to 50,000 miles here too.

F off with your deprerssing facts!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

cancan wrote: »
    I'm in the US so prob not much help, but main dealer oil and filter change in big city for Subaru STI - $27, or <20 euro.
    I know that BMW give you free servicing up to 50,000 miles here too. Not directly comparable, but just goes to show....

I assume everything else is covered under warranty.

unfortunately warranty does not apply for servicing, it's an 06 model anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

I paid just over 400 euro for an oil service and a vehicle inspection at Joe Duffy. About 2 hours work while i waited. Its a 06 with 31000 miles on the clock and still under bmw warranty. Nothing due now for another 14000 miles (so the car says anyhow!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BMW did/do offer a service pack here which covers all servicing costs for the first 5yrs/100,000kms - it costs €1000 but had to be taken out when the car was new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SDunne4

My 05 320d was serviced on Wednesday at a main dealer, €165 for oil and a oil filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The regular service costs aren't too bad... but be aware that Inspection 2 is a pretty spendy one (I think around €1500 when I had it done) and on 02+ BMWs that is usually around 65,000miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Changed the oil in my E36 BMW last week - cost me €29.50 for oil and filter ;)

Simi synthetic oil and spurious filter. Took me 25 mins.

I will never pay anyone €150 ++ to change the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

OisinT wrote: »
    The regular service costs aren't too bad... but be aware that Inspection 2 is a pretty spendy one (I think around €1500 when I had it done) and on 02+ BMWs that is usually around 65,000miles.

On the newer BMWs are they not serviced based on computerised monitoring or something, ie all depends on how its driven etc?? The inspection 1 & 2 are no longer used? My key print out doesnt refer to any future 'inspections'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

hmmm this seems to be perfect timing. my car has been reminding me to get a service for the past 2 weeks. i've just moved back from britland and got it serviced there for 220stg.
    resetting the i-drive is the main deal with it. has to be connected to a computer to do that.

sdunne4, did you get yours done within the pale or further afield??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

omega man wrote: »
    On the newer BMWs are they not serviced based on computerised monitoring or something, ie all depends on how its driven etc?? The inspection 1 & 2 are no longer used? My key print out doesnt refer to any future 'inspections'.
    Ah perhaps you're right, I was driving an e46 which was manufactured until September 2006 and the service intervals were as follows (for 1999 and later models):

* 5,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 10,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 15,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S)
    * 20,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 25,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 30,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1)
    * 35,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 40,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 45,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S)
    * 50,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 55,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 60,000 miles - BMW Inspection II (I/2)
    * 65,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 70,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 75,000 miles - Oil and Safety Service (O/S)
    * 80,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 85,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 90,000 miles - BMW Inspection I (I/1)
    * 95,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)
    * 100,000 miles - intermediate oil service (O/F)

But on the e92 the car seems to randomly say when it needs a service (i.e. after a certain number of months without a service, certain number of miles or if the computer registers a need). That being said there will definitely eventually be an "inspection 2" service for the car. Inspection 2 involves the following:

Inspection II

The Inspection 2 Service is the larger of the two Inspection Services and basically includes all of the items performed on the Inspection I Service along with some extras like differential oil change; fuel filter and air filter replacements; Replacement of spark plugs. Inspection 2 generally runs around $500+ to $800+. Below are the items that are normally performed.

Undercarriage

1. Change engine oil and filter oil while engine is at normal operation temperature.
    2. Check transmission for leaks.
    3. Check rear axle for leaks.
    4. Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
    5. Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
    6. Check power steering system for leaks.
    7. Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads.
    8. Examine brake disc surfaces.
    9. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
    10. Grease wheel center hubs.
    11. Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
    12. Check front control arm bushing for wear.
    13. Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
    14. Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
    15. Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
    16. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
    17. Check thickness of parking brake linings.
    18. Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
    19. Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty.

Engine Compartment

1. Read out diagnostic system
    2. Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
    3. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
    4. Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
    5. Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
    6. Check air conditioner for operation.
    7. Reset Service Indicator.
    8. Replace spark plugs.
    9. Replace intake air cleaner element.

Body/Electrical Equipment

1. Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
    2. Perform batter load test.
    3. Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
    4. Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
    5. Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
    6. Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
    7. Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
    8. Check condition and function of safety belts.
    9. Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
    10. Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
    11. Check central locking/double lock.
    12. Replace microfilter or Acc Cabin Filter.
    13. Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
    14. Check rear view mirrors
    15. Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Final Inspection

1. Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

When you get the oil service, do they do anything else, i paid 190 for the oil service.Do they just connect the computer up and see what comes up?

Also, since my car came out of the BWM garage, the next interval warning is to replace the rear brakes disks, does the car do this itself or is it programmed by the garage, i.e. they have a look and think they need replacing in a few months?

not clear at all about the BMW servicing process, but the pockets are lighter...maybe that's the point!!.quiet wend ahead!!..

although there was a guy in the garage and was talking to him while we were waiting, 05 X5, turbo gone..2k..nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This is from 2001, but I expect its the same. This is an oil service from BMW.

Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature. l l l l l l l
    We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic oil,
    p/n 07 51 0 017 866
    Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature. l l
    Use only Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic oil, or
    Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic oil, BMW p/n 07 51 0 009 420
    Replace microfilters. l l l l l l l
    Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.
    Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads using l l l l l l
    special tool. Record results. If replacement is necessary*:
    Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in
    calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking
    brake linings only when replacing rear pads. Record results.
    Remove and install front and rear disc brake pads, check overall l l l l
    thickness. Record results. Examine brake disc surfaces.
    Clean brake pad contact point in calipers.
    Grease wheel centering hubs.
    Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary. l l l l l l l l l
    Reset Service Indicator. l l l l l l l l l
    Note: Do not reset Service Indicator when additional oil changes
    (between the normal intervals) are requested by the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

70,000 miles is the main one for the newer 2 and 3 liter diesels,This is the time the main dealer changes the oil separator.A lot of times it's not put down on the docket. but it's ALWAYS done.Why?? because it stops the turbo from blowing. they now have a modified part which makes it easier to change the filter in the separator again they don't put it on the docket but it is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Keep an eye out for an announcement on Monday from BMW regarding servicing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Bulmers wrote: »
    I also didn't expect a BMW to be the same as a normal car but just want to gauge the cost.

cheers

Where did you get the idea that BMW weren't normal cars? Are they made from gold and unobtainium? As far as I can tell all this extra cost with BMWs is just marketing flannel.

Advertisement