Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31/10/09 groupies

Options
  • 02-10-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Dear fellow guinea pigs...

I know a lot of us here are in the 31/10/09 club. With the rather severe cock ups now obvious in the system I was just wondering had anything official come out about our extensions or new licenses, given the three month before expiry submission craic.

Has it been brought up with the cops on an official level anywhere? Seeing as how I read here today that one station in Wexford isn't even accepting applications, it'd be a bit rich to tell us lot we're in breach of the law when or if the time runs out, again, given the problems introducing the new system that is no problem of our making.

Just interested, not unduly worried TBH.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    Dear fellow guinea pigs...

I know a lot of us here are in the 31/10/09 club. With the rather severe cock ups now obvious in the system I was just wondering had anything official come out about our extensions or new licenses, given the three month before expiry submission craic.

Has it been brought up with the cops on an official level anywhere? Seeing as how I read here today that one station in Wexford isn't even accepting applications, it'd be a bit rich to tell us lot we're in breach of the law when or if the time runs out, again, given the problems introducing the new system that is no problem of our making.

Just interested, not unduly worried TBH.

ATB,

John

The way I see it john is that I couldnt give a toss wether or not they extend my extension period or whatever, I have now adopted a "laissez faire" attitude the same as them-the secret to the whole firearms legislation cock -up is to think like Micheleen Og Flynn in the film the "Quiet man" when John Wayne asked him why he simply couldnt just marry the girl without the brothers consent he replied" this is ireland Sean" which implied a multitude of answers for any type of scenario you cant wrap a sensible head around:D- so in future if anyone asks me about how things are progressing on the licencing front ill just turn my head and mutter the words "this is Ireland":rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:D I like it :D

Sure this is Ireland Gard, what would I need one of them license yokes for, get away outta that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    :D I like it :D

Sure this is Ireland Gard, what would I need one of them license yokes for, get away outta that. :D

Thats it John , now yer in the groove, its an easy ride from now on in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or my favourite,and this covers everything in Ireland,like the French have "c'est le Vie.Ours
    "Sure,thats just the way it is.":D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got the offical party line the other night "sure you'll be grand, nobody will bother you". This coming from a Garda when i told him i will be unlicenced after the 31st. Now in the foxshooter243 (Mel Gibson) camp. "F**k it, thats why i don't have an ulcer, cos i know when to say i don't give a f***".:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

ezridax wrote: »
    I got the offical party line the other night "sure you'll be grand, nobody will bother you". This coming from a Garda when i told him i will be unlicenced after the 31st. Now in the foxshooter243 (Mel Gibson) camp. "F**k it, thats why i don't have an ulcer, cos i know when to say i don't give a f***".:D

be god andbegorra, he got it in one, roll on november.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Well i never realy answer the front door so.......... i don't think i be that bothered by it...... roll on Nov 1st and get another few free months shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Well i never realy answer the front door so.......... i don't think i be that bothered by it...... roll on Nov 1st and get another few free months shooting.

I dont see what all the fuss is about. The only people I see worried by the whole thing are the shooters themselves. I dont think I even looked at the form that arrived a few weeks ago. I couldnt give a f**k what they do,cos I have yet to see them doing something constructive.
    "ara tis a whore but shur wont we get it sorted at some stage"
    Stop worrying lads,take the same road as themselves,f**k them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Phone call from one of my Referees that the Gardai had been ringing to check up.
    "Do you know Grizzly?" "Yup,sound man no bother"."Thats grand so,thanks...We know you know him,a long time but we have to tick the boxes.."

3 hours later I get a call from my local lads,can we call over,need to ask a few questions from the Super man.No bother sez I.

First off...Apprently in PULSE the Midland rifle range doesnt exist!!:eek:
    Every time they try to input the range number it blanks,or comes back does not compute.Wether this is just a local problem or a national problem,I've no idea.Had to give him the contact details for Midland to go and sort out.

Pulse,PULSE and more pulse seems to be a big problem!!! Apprently it isnt handling the 4 digit application numbers very well,either duplicating them or cross referencing people in totally different parts of Ireland.I've apprently a doppelganger in Dublin somwhere!:eek:

2]Ammo limits why do I have 500 per gun??Would a100 not do you??Well,simply it is the EU norm now."Ah but thats only for handguns where you have to special order the ammo."Indeed,but the nearest shop is a 120 mile round trip for me,and pistol shooting simply eats ammo,500 a session is about my norm to stay relatively accurate so it is a bit pointless having a low limit.Not to mind clay shooting where you will look pretty goofy appearing with 100 rounds for a day shooting clays.Pointed out that it doesnt mean I would have 4.5K worth of rounds in the house all the time,more that if I was going pistol shooting or clay busting,that if I was stopped by theirs truly,there would be good and lawful reason for having such a high ammo count.

3] Why does my better half need a gun???Pretty sexist question I thought in this PC day and age.:rolleyes:.Seeing that she is simply changing the gun for one more suited to her petite size,and she shoots clays the odd time.

What happens on 31Oct,if there is no issuance I asked.Looks like another extension is on the cards,as I could see my recipt of application form letter had somthing like Jan 2010 for a decision on it...

All in all I havent seen two such unhappy Gardai in a long time!Their heads are wrecked with this system,are no doubt many others around the land and its total refusal to take data input,or give it out properly. .Proably a quaterto half of the 1st wave is sorted yet,and the second wave is coming online soon.

In all fairness folks,I really do feel sorry for the poor lads and lasses who have to try and push this God awful application form into that rotten piece of technology called PULSE.To watch two hours work inputting info to watch it being rejected or lost or whatever,must be disheartning in extremis
    So go easy on them they are doing their best with what they have.:(
    This is like watching a mass car wreck in slow motion.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

thedragon wrote: »
    I dont see what all the fuss is about. The only people I see worried by the whole thing are the shooters themselves.

To be honest, I wouldn't be worried about my local lot, they have cop on and wouldn't go and seize stuff just because the paperwork wasn't through. The two scenarios I'd worry about are:
    • Getting stopped on the way to or from a range and having to explain to some random Garda who doesn't know one end of a gun from another why I don't have an in-date cert.
    • Trying to get permits to go to a competition outside the country with expired Irish paperwork.

Mine isn't due until June, hopefully it'll all be cleared up by then. I wouldn't be surprised if there were still delays though.
    thedragon wrote: »
    f**k them.

:eek: No thanks! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ..........First off...Apprently in PULSE the Midland rifle range doesnt exist!!:eek:
    Every time they try to input the range number it blanks,or comes back does not compute.Wether this is just a local problem or a national problem,I've no idea................

Having the same problem. The pulse number for the midlands is like our old licences. Do not exist anymore so will not register on the system. My applications due to be processed 2 weeks ago are being held up on this. My FO contacted Tullamore District station and they said the Midlands will have their registration number by Wednesday/Thursday of next week, then my FO can process my applications ( i have most of my guns down to the midlands as they are mostly target firearms). My FO is processing my hunting firearm applications though. He said he would have the registration number before the midlands as he could access it on the Garda computer system before Midlands are notified by post.

Will update here when i get more info.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement