Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Query

Options
  • 02-10-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

[B]categories_users[/B]
    cat_id
    user_id

[B]categories[/B]
    id  	
    name
    level1
    level2
    level3
    level4

I need a list of all the categories where level3 = "18" and where applicable all the instances where the categories_users.user_id = 3038 where the tables join by categories.id = categories_users.cat_id. If there are no corresponding categories_users.cat_id where the user = 3038 the row should still appear but it should be null.

I think I have to do this with a left join only I don't know how to get the right answer.
    SELECT * FROM categories c left join categories_users cu on c.id=cu.cat_id where c.level3="18" and cu.user_id = 3038

This does not give me all the rows I'm looking for.

I hope this makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It's not clear what you are trying to achieve.

Do you want a list of all entries in the Categories table where level3=18 and the Category id is in the Users Table with a user Id of 3038 plus a list of all category id's where the user_id=3038 and the Category Id does not have a level3=18. In which case you you just want a straight join where User id=3038 order by C.level3,C.id and the ones <>18 will appear in a block above and below the one where level3=18

Or do you want a list of all Categories with a level3 = 18 plus the Category Id and name of all categories where the User Id=3038 and the Level3 does not =18. In which case you can use a Union Clause select everything from Categories where level3=18 Union Select Id, Name, '' as level1.'' as level2.'' as level3 from a join of Categories and Users where User id=3038 and Level3<>18

OR do you want a list of all Categories where level3=18 and user id=3038 and all Category Id's in the User Table where User=3038 and the Cat id is not in the Categories table. In which case again a Union of your original query with a straight join Union Select Cat id as Id,'' as name,'' as level1,'' as level2,'' as level3 from Users where User Id=3038 and Cat id not in(Select distinct Id from Categories)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Is this what you're looking for by any chance?

SELECT
    c.*
    FROM
    categories c
    left join categories_users cu on (c.id=cu.cat_id and cu.user_id = 3038)
    where
    c.level3="18"

Advertisement