Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Match Thread

• 02-10-2009 11:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

I have a funny feeling Johnson is gonna score!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Stop Drogba and you stop chelsea, simple as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

bluefinger wrote: »

What about Lampard and Anelka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Drogba, Anelka, Cole, Lampard, Essien.

Then we'd have a good fighting chance.

I personally think it will be a fairly close affair, probably a draw, but I'd love another win the the Bridge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That attitude is loltastic. Seriosuly think Chelsea are a one man team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Chelsea are far from a one-man team, but without Drogba they are about 75% of the force they are with him.
    The key will be competing in midfield. And for that to happen we need Mascherano to play and play well, Gerrard to drop in at times and help the midfield 2 and (because Chelsea have quite a narrow midfield) Kuyt and Benayoun will have to tuck inside when we don’t have the ball also.

• Advertisement

Chelsea are far from a one-man team, but without Drogba they are about 75% of the force they are with him.
    The key will be competing in midfield. And for that to happen we need Mascherano to play and play well, Gerrard to drop in at times and help the midfield 2 and (because Chelsea have quite a narrow midfield) Kuyt and Benayoun will have to tuck inside when we don’t have the ball also.

75% how do you work out that percentage???
    Drogba is brilliant yeh but dont forget Anelka was top scorer last season, you cant under estimate what Lampard brings to the team or Terry or Cole for that matter!

chelsea_crest.png -V- liverpool%2520crest%2520500pix.jpg
    Stamford Bridge 16:00 KO Sunday 4th Oct
    Match Preview!
    SkySports wrote:
    Ancelotti will be without suspended goalkeeper Petr Cech after he was sent off against Wigan at the DW Stadium, so Henrique Hilario will start.

John Obi Mikel is ruled out and Chelsea are awaiting fitness news on Alex, Michael Ballack and Daniel Sturridge.

The in-form Didier Drogba is certain to start and Joe Cole is also in contention after recovering from a long-term knee injury, with both players enjoying excellent records against Liverpool.

Frank Lampard will be desperate to hit the back of the net as the England midfielder's form is questioned following a poor return in front of goal this season.

Liverpool are hopeful midfielder Javier Mascherano will have recovered from the hamstring injury which ruled him out in midweek. Fabio Aurelio will drop to the bench if the Argentine is available.

Daniel Agger is closing on full fitness following a back injury and recently featured for the reserves but Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher should keep their places, despite questions regarding the latter's position in Benitez's plans.

Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard will have a point to prove in their attacking partnership after being kept unusually quiet during the defeat to Fiorentina.

Possible starting XIs

Chelsea: Hilario, Bosingwa, Terry, Carvalho, A Cole, Essien, Kalou, Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Kuyt, Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres.

2-1 Chelsea imo. Time for Essien to shine aswell.

Drogba is brilliant yeh but dont forget Anelka was top scorer last season, you cant under estimate what Lampard brings to the team or Terry or Cole for that matter!

I have a formula.

Anelka may have been top scorer last season, but I’m not worried about him. We usually handle him pretty well.
    Lampard is brilliant, but Essien is the real danger in their midfield, we need to stop him somehow

Other way around me thinks 1-2 Pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

em, a bit picky no?!

his point stands. drogba is one of the best strikers in the world, and has torn the Liverpool defence to shreds in the past.

they are far more effective with him than without him. that's nothing to be ashamed of on their part, it's just a fact.

nobody's saying they would be anything other than a very difficult game, even without them, but him in the team makes it a lot tougher. just look back down the years.

• Advertisement

I have a formula.

Anelka may have been top scorer last season, but I’m not worried about him. We usually handle him pretty well.
    Lampard is brilliant, but Essien is the real danger in their midfield, we need to stop him somehow

Care to share your little formula with us?
    So Essien, Lampard, Cole, Anelka and Terry only add up to 25% of a threat yeh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I hate these games, always a wreck watching them. Hopefully Joe Cole will start.

Line up like this maybe,

Hilario
    Bosser Ricky JT Ashley
    Micky Es
    Joey Malouds
    Lamps
    Nicky Double D

:D

3-1 Chelsea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no ****ing idea.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no ****ing idea.
    ?

SlickRic wrote: »

nobody's saying they would be anything other than a very difficult game, even without them, but him in the team makes it a lot tougher. just look back down the years.

I think you'll find they pretty much did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Drogba, Anelka, Cole, Lampard, Essien.

Then we'd have a good fighting chance.

I personally think it will be a fairly close affair, probably a draw, but I'd love another win the the Bridge!
    CHD wrote: »
    That attitude is loltastic. Seriosuly think Chelsea are a one man team?

Sorry, probably being a bit simplistic. Imho, Drogbas the main threat. Lampard hasn't been firing on all cylinder this season and anelka can be very hit and miss. Essien will probably be to be busy with gerard to do anything else. I just hope they don't get any corners either. :)

Sorry, probably being a bit simplistic. Imho, Drogbas the main threat. Lampard hasn't been firing on all cylinder this season and anelka can be very hit and miss. Essien will probably be to be busy with gerard to do anything else. I just hope they don't get any corners either. :)

Yeh thats what i'm most worried about, free kicks and corners.

I think you'll find they pretty much did!

fair enough.

though i'd be worried if he actually meant it that bluntly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no ****ing idea.

i speak al , ill translate

chelsea have a better team than us and out defence will crumble

;)

jokes a side

I can only see chelsea winning this

glen wont be going forward much with ashley around

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Headshot wrote: »
    i speak al , ill translate

chelsea have a better team than us and out defence will crumble

;)

jokes a side

I can only see chelsea winning this

glen wont be going forward much with ashley around

Ashley won't be going forward much with Glen around.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

cole is alot better than glen going forward tbf and im not saying glen is bad at going forward' he's great but cole is a brilliant full back

and with chelsea being at home also helps

I think Liverpool will definitely get something.

First half Fiorentina aside, we have been playing well lately.

Chelsea also had a bad result last week and conseeded a few from dodgy man-marking ;)

1-1

:pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    cole is alot better than glen going forward tbf and im not saying glen is bad at going forward' he's great but cole is a brilliant full back

and with chelsea being at home also helps

if you'd said cole is a better defender, i might have entertained a discussion.

going forward they're at least even. until this season, cole had 4 goals to his name in his career or something. assists-wise, not a whole lot better.

he is not 'a lot better going forward' by any stretch.

cole is the better all-round full back though, i'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They'll meet at the half way line and fight to the death.

Care to share your little formula with us?
    So Essien, Lampard, Cole, Anelka and Terry only add up to 25% of a threat yeh??

Er, no, they add up to 75%. In my opinion. It's not entirely scientific

JPA wrote: »
    They'll meet at the half way line and fight to the death.

My money is on Glen, sure even Cheryl can kick Ashleys ass!

Er, no, they add up to 75%. In my opinion. It's not entirely scientific

So in other words ya just plucked the figure out of your ass :pac::pac:
    Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Last minute equalizer by Chelsea.

• Advertisement

So because Glen Johnson now plays for Liverpool he is as good as Ashley Cole going forward. Lampard and Cole will have Johnson pinned back and begging for mercy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So in other words ya just plucked the figure out of your ass :pac::pac:
    Fair enough.

What is the story here, people can't give opinions without being asked to back it up scientifically? Where is the fun in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hate these games...dunno to watch from behind the couch or hide in my room refreshing bbc sport text update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So because Glen Johnson now plays for Liverpool he is as good as Ashley Cole going forward. Lampard and Cole will have Johnson pinned back and begging for mercy.

One of those 3 will like that A LOT.

So because Glen Johnson now plays for Liverpool he is as good as Ashley Cole going forward.

em, no.

in the last couple of years he's been brilliant for Portsmouth going forward, has started simlarly for Liverpool, and is doing the same for England.

it's why Liverpool bought him.

i know

glen has had a great start to the season but tbf the opposition of hull and Burnley arent really testers are they

we'll see how he gets on against chelsea, ill reserve judgement until then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

As was evident by the beating of Man U by Burnley and Chelsea by Wigan, sometimes it's impossible to call.
    This could be a hard one to call imo...
    Drogba and Torres have been playing quite well up front for their teams but defo Carra has been suspect for the 'pool but Johnson has been super in that sense...
    I think Cech being absent will swing the game in the pool's favour.
    Should be a cracking game and obviously with a hubby who supports the 'pool I would have to be shouting for them:D.

nearly forgot

I'm showing my support for the draw

G'wan the draw

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm already a nervous wreck, Drogba has had the better of a Jamie Carragher at his peak, so I dread to think about what he will do to him on Sunday.

I'd take a draw, which would be an excellent result for anyone at Stamford Bridge.

I have a feeling though that Rafa could well go for the throat here, I wouldn't be surprised to see another goal filled thriller.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As with previous massive matches, Rafa will do one mental surprise in the line up that nobody could possibly have predicted.

Something off the wall like a 4-4-2 with Ngog and Torres up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2-1 Chelsea Drog's and Ricky C to score, torres for the pool.

Should be a great game, with Cech out I hope Hilario can perform well enough to keep them out but JT abd Ricky need to have a great game ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's Carlo Ancelotti v Rafael Benitez - without a European Cup in sight - but how do the Chelsea and Liverpool bosses compare?

On Sunday Carlo Ancelotti and Rafael Benitez come face to face for the first time in a fixture that isn't a Champions League Final.
    The two managers have met twice before; Istanbul in 2005 and in Athens 2007 as their sides clashed to become champions of Europe.
    Chelsea and Liverpool go head-to-head at Stamford Bridge in one of the games of the season as the sides attempt to force an advantage - but this time for a domestic title.

Sportsmail takes a look at the tale of the tape as the Italian and Spanish managers prepare to slug it out in the Barclays Premier League...

CARLO ANCELOTTI

Born: Italy, June 1959.
    Management Career1995: First coaching role with Serie B side Reggiana and wins them promotion.
    1996: Leaves Reggiana to join Parma, takes club to second place in Serie A.
    1998: Appointed manager of Juventus.
    2001: Joins AC Milan.
    2009: Confirmed as new Chelsea manager on a three-year contract.

Honours MILAN
    2003: Champions League
    2003: Coppa Italia
    2004: Serie A
    2004: Italian Supercup
    2007: Champions League
    Ancelotti on how the politics will work at his new club...
    'I want to be clear on something. I name the [Chelsea] team and I decide how we play.'
    Steven Gerrard on Ancelotti's move to Stamford Bridge...
    'I think it's a good appointment for Chelsea, but I'm not so sure it's good for Liverpool, we will have to wait and see.'
    RAFAEL BENITEZ

Born: Madrid, April 1960.
    Mangement Career1995: Appointed coach of Valladolid but sacked after 23 games.
    1996: Takes over at Osasuna in Second Division - lasts just nine games.
    1997: Joins Extremadura and leads them to promotion.
    2000: Appointed boss of Second Division Tenerife.
    2001: Named as surprise choice to replace Hector Cuper at Valencia.
    2004: Benitez confirmed as Liverpool manager on five-year contract.
    Honours VALENCIA
    2002: La Liga
    2004: La Liga
    2004: UEFA Cup
    LIVERPOOL
    2005: Champions League
    2006: FA Cup
    Benitez on Luis Garcia's Champions League 'goal' against Chelsea...
    'After the game my secretary Sheila, who was sitting right in line in the main stand, said to me that the ball had crossed the line. She is a very honest person and that was good enough for me

Benayoun on Benitez' reaction after beating Real in Madrid

'He didn’t even congratulate us or shake hands, never mind join in all the hugs and backslapping and he didn't say a word to me about the goal.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I fancy Chelsea to win this tbh, but am obviously hoping for a draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No idea. Wouldn't be too confident if we are missing Masch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Very low scoring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised with a 0-0, 1-0, or 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1-1

hoping Kuyt doesn't score. Just took him out of the FPL team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

My prediction is a Chelsea win. I reckon 3-1 or 3-2. something like that. drogba is gonna destroy carragher i'm afraid

Well last season Kuyt completely nullified any threat from Ashley Cole. Hopefully he’ll do the same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I'd go for a midfield of Masch, Gerrard, Kuyt and Riera and have Benny tucked in behind Torres as strikers. For me, Benayoun has been our most consistent player so far this season, carrying on from where he left off last season.

My main concern is how many free-kicks Drogba will win for Chelsea in the dangerous areas where we have look shaky defending them, i hope we have a strong ref who wont blow up for anything where Drogba goes down.

I reckon we will get a draw, which wont be a bad result by any means, we will get a good reaction after the poor performance in midweek.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I'd go for a midfield of Masch, Gerrard, Kuyt and Riera and have Benny tucked in behind Torres as strikers. For me, Benayoun has been our most consistent player so far this season, carrying on from where he left off last season.

My main concern is how many free-kicks Drogba will win for Chelsea in the dangerous areas where we have look shaky defending them, i hope we have a strong ref who wont blow up for anything where Drogba goes down.

I reckon we will get a draw, which wont be a bad result by any means, we will get a good reaction after the poor performance in midweek.

No chance of Gerrard playing as part of a 2 in midfield. We need the solidity of 2 players who won't empty the midfield area. Gerrard will have a lot of tracking back to do though.

Also no chance of a strong ref.

Dickerty wrote: »
    What is the story here, people can't give opinions without being asked to back it up scientifically? Where is the fun in that?

Science is fun!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement