Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

JPA wrote: »
    2 divers though.
    I don't think there's degrees of diving.

Regardless of who ye are actually talking about.

You would want to be one simple ****er if you didn't think there was a difference between playing up some contact being made and completely fabricating contact.

With regard to the Drogba versus Gerrard argument. Find one example of Gerrard something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHOBdHyRfM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You would want to be one simple ****er if you didn't think there was a difference between playing up some contact being made and completely fabricating contact.

Not really. But thanks.
    I don't know what Steven Gerrard could do where he WOULDN'T be defended.

Not really. But thanks.
    I don't know what Steven Gerrard could do where he WOULDN'T be defended.

Ironically enough, I am not the biggest fan of him. Him nearly going to Chelsea, despite the club dicking him around, left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't think he should be the club captain. I don't have a clue how he didn't get at least a suspended prison sentence.

With regard to Drogba, I really respect him as a player when his head is right and think that he is probably the best in the PL when his head is in order.

Saying all of that, there are players that dive and there are players that take the complete piss. Drogba is certainly one of the players that takes the complete piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Not really. But thanks.
    I don't know what *Anyone who pulls on an england shirt* could do where he WOULDN'T be defended.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, this thread is a serious yawn of off topic posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Ironically enough, I am not the biggest fan of him. Him nearly going to Chelsea, despite the club dicking him around, left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't think he should be the club captain. I don't have a clue how he didn't get at least a suspended prison sentence.

With regard to Drogba, I really respect him as a player when his head is right and think that he is probably the best in the PL when his head is in order.

Saying all of that, there are players that dive and there are players that take the complete piss. Drogba is certainly one of the players that takes the complete piss.

Who would you have as club captain?

I for one believe him when he says there was alot of messing about over his contract.

• Advertisement

I for one believe him when he says there was alot of messing about over his contract.

I believe it too but his agent was still talking to clubs. That's the end of it as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Im with you there. Rick parry couldnt organise the making of a trifle dessert with 3 large buckets of sponge, jelly and custard.

Football bit, 1-1 on sunday, i smell a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

With regard to the Drogba versus Gerrard argument. Find one example of Gerrard something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHOBdHyRfM

That is a classic video. Lehman and Drogba. What utter rascals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I believe it too but his agent was still talking to clubs. That's the end of it as far as I am concerned.

Of course his agent would have talked to other clubs.

So, who would you like to see club captain?

Of course his agent would have talked to other clubs.

So, who would you like to see club captain?

Carragher would have done a great job for the past few seasons. Pepe, Masch or Torres would be more than up to the job now.

• Advertisement

Regarding the result, fully expect us to be the superior team, have the lion share of possession and chances but come away disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Regarding the result, fully expect us to be the superior team, have the lion share of possession and chances but come away disappointed.

I'm a neutral but I don't know how or why you would think that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Carragher would have done a great job for the past few seasons. Pepe, Masch or Torres would be more than up to the job now.

Sorry for going off topic, but after Gerrard and Carra, now that Xabi is gone, Dirk is considered third in line.

I'm a neutral but I don't know how or why you would think that will happen.

Because it has in the last 4 premiership games between the clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

On the gerrard question, He has had some ridiculous dives, not quite on the level as Drogba but..

Dive in instanbul will always be overlooked but it was a cheat.

His dive against an amateur Andorra was absolutley farcical and it takes a real cheat to dive against part timers.

Also, If Gerrard was Portugese,Spanish, Italian etc he would be seen by Eamo and others as a Cheat.

I've emboldened the stand out stats for me.

CHELSEA V LIVERPOOL: STAT ATTACK
    Ged Rea 02 October 2009

Here are all the important pre-match stats and facts ahead of our Sunday showdown at Stamford Bridge.

Last season Liverpool completed a league double over Chelsea. The Reds won 1-0 at Stamford Bridge thanks to a Xabi Alonso goal in the tenth minute. It was their first league win there under Rafa Benitez and their first goal. It was their 600th away victory in the top-flight.

The victory broke the Londoners 86 game unbeaten run stretching back to February 2004. It was also Chelsea's first defeat in 30 league games.

In the return at Anfield Fernando Torres netted twice (in the 89th minute and again in added time) in a 2-0 win.

Liverpool have won twice at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League era. Prior to last season, the other win came in January 2004 when Bruno Cheyrou scored the only goal of the game. They have picked up 10 points out of a possible 51.

The Reds have lost 10 of their last 13 league visits to the Bridge and won only two of the last 19 on the ground.

A win for Liverpool will take them above Chelsea on goal difference.

Liverpool have scored three or more goals in 13 of their last 17 league games.

The 22 goals scored by Liverpool so far is their best tally in the opening seven league games of a campaign since 1895/96 and the second highest total in the club's history.

The Reds are unbeaten in five league games against Chelsea – their best run for 12 years.

The league double over Chelsea last season was the Reds first against them since 1989-90, the last time they lifted the title.

If Liverpool win this game it will be the first time since 1974/75 they have beaten Chelsea in back to back games at the Bridge.

A clean sheet for the Reds will give them three shut-outs in a row at Chelsea for the first time in their league history.

Fernando Torres scored his first goal for Liverpool against Chelsea in August 2007. He has scored three goals in two league games against them and five goals in six in all competitions.

Torres has never played a league game at Stamford Bridge – missing both of Liverpool's games there since his arrival.

Pepe Reina was controversially dismissed in the league meeting on this ground in February 2006, while Steven Gerrard also received his marching orders at Stamford Bridge in 2003.

Glen Johnson played 72 times for Chelsea in all competitions from 2003-2007 scoring four times.

Fernando Torres has scored five goals in his last two league games.

The Reds have scored in their last 18 Premier League games since failing to hit the net at Middlesbrough in February.

Fernando Torres welcome to the Bridge for a league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jaysus, 12 pages deep and the game is more then a day away. I can see Chelsea beating us. I'm not being pessimistic but realistic. Our defence has been a shambles so far this season and its not going to improve come Sunday. 3-1 Chelsea, I hope I'm wrong but that what the head tells me.

Gerrard = Diver (especially when you see his mouth open and his arm in the air)
    Drogba = Diver

No ifs or buts, a diver is a diver.

Liverpool goals for 22 goals against 10
    Chelsea goals for 16 goals against 6

Liverpool are scoring more.
    Liverpool are conceding more.

Lets compare like for like
    We've shared 4 teams in the league.

Hull, Stoke, Burnley, Spurs.

Hull

Chelsea won 2-1 at home (with a 92nd minute winner).
    Liverpool won 6-1 at home.

Stoke

Chelsea won 1-2 away (with a 94th minute winner)
    Liverpool won 4-0 at home.

Burnley

Chelsea won 3-0 at home.
    Liverpool won 4-0 at home.

Spurs

Chelsea won 3-0 at home.
    Liverpool lost 1-2 away.

All the results are very similar.

Liverpool are scoring more.
    Liverpool are conceding more.

If that's the case on Sunday, odds are the two teams will cancel each other out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Every game is different, comparing like for like means jack imo. The team with the best defence will generally win imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm Worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Can't wait for this :D

I honestly cannot predict a score. I'm baffled. Just hope it's a cracker!

Last meeting was epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Have I mentioned how I find waiting for the Sunday 4pm kick offs totally shit? I must be the only one who loves the 12:45 kick offs on a Saturday for these types of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Lol at posters saying Gerrard is in the same class as Dropba for diving. Just lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gerrard dives; we established this a long, long time ago now.

fabricating contact is cheating, the same as diving with no contact is cheating.

one's just an awful lot more stupid and less skilful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Lol at posters saying Gerrard is in the same class as Dropba for diving. Just lol.

everyone who dives is in the same boat imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I hope its a draw but I think Chelsea will expose liverpool as the average side that they are and win 3 1 or 4 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This is the first time that I remember Chelsea fans being quite so opinionated before this fixture. Says it all really.

They were at the same thing last season then they got beaten by Arsenal Liverpool and Man Utd.

Sorry for going off topic, but after Gerrard and Carra, now that Xabi is gone, Dirk is considered third in line.

Forgot about Dirk :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Hurry up Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

This match will be just that tad more interesting given the man u result today.

Less interesting in my opinion for some reason.

Come on! Gonna head to the Woolshed in town to watch this along with the Celtic game. Gonna be a long messy day :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Come on! Gonna head to the Woolshed in town to watch this along with the Celtic game. Gonna be a long messy day :o

messy ?

a few stabbings and a few chairs thrown ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Headshot wrote: »

Those chairs are a right hazard, ne're mind the stabbings.

Headshot wrote: »
    messy ?

Only if Phil Brown is about :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If masch plays then i think Liverpool will win... We badly need him especially for a game like this. I'm going with 2-1 with Torres to continue his fine form against Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think Chelsea will win....but I hope its another 4-4 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hoping for a draw, but think Chelsea will win, I'm hoping for a lot of goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

tok9 wrote: »
    If masch plays then i think Liverpool will win... We badly need him especially for a game like this. I'm going with 2-1 with Torres to continue his fine form against Chelsea

I wouldn't go that far, there is an elephant in the room that you're not referring to. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The blue half of Manchester would like a draw please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

As a Utd fan I would like a draw or a Liverpool win. Think Chelsea are our main challenger this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

We scored 4 last time at the bridge, just concide one less.

Come on REDMEN!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Think Chelsea are our main challenger this season.

Bit early to say I would of thought and you probably thought that last season aswel ;)

I think a lot depends on Masch from a Liverpool point of view. Assuming he plays and plays well, I think Liverpool have a good chance; however I think they will need to score at least 2 (maybe 3) goals to get all three points as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

SWAR wrote: »
    Bit early to say I would of thought and you probably thought that last season aswel ;)

At this early stage Chelsea are favourites, so no. Your wrong.

CHD wrote: »
    At this early stage Chelsea are favourites, so no. Your wrong.

They were favourites at this very stage last season too, weren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

and we know how that ended

;)

Yep, and i reckon we will be favourites in 2022 aswell. Whats your point? Its not too early to say Chelsea are the main chalengers. You know why? Cause Chelsea are the main challenegers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Chelsea have to be favourites for the league but you never know what will happen.

Reckon chelsea will win by a goal or two today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CHD wrote: »
    Yep, and i reckon we will be favourites in 2022 aswell. Whats your point? Its not too early to say Chelsea are the main chalengers. You know why? Cause Chelsea are the main challenegers.

i do admire your willingness to say it how you see it, with no fear of having comments like this bite you in the ass.

fair play. :)

on paper, yes Chelsea probably have the best squad. and they've had a good start. that does not automatically mean they will be the main challengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Vermallen and Torres in anytime goalscorer double @16/1.

Please score Fernando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then Drogba can score 4......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement