Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea -v- Liverpool Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Easy! Job done. Top of the league. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Carvalho was immense today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Drogba is such a fantastic player, but always marred by going down so easily. Andy Gray talks about strenght, he's the strongest player ever to be knocked over by Yossi Benayoun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Lots of liverpool players not at the races.

I should hope not... they had a game this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Drogba is a cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

kleefarr wrote: »
    Easy! Job done. Top of the league. :D

that was far from easy.

Chelsea just about deserved it, but think back to the penalty Pool should have had, Torres' miss in the second half, Yossi's miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I should hope not... they had a game this evening!

Should have turned up so :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool's Premier League fixtures up to November:

Saturday, 17 October 2009
    Sunderland v Liverpool, 15:00

Sunday, 25 October 2009
    Liverpool v Man Utd, 14:00

Saturday, 31 October 2009
    Fulham v Liverpool, 15:00

Monday, 9 November 2009
    Liverpool v Birmingham, 20:00

Saturday, 21 November 2009
    Liverpool v Man City, 12:45

Sunday, 29 November 2009
    Everton v Liverpool, 13:30

With the exception of the Birmingham game, I wouldn't call any of those games foregone conclusions. Some very tough matches ahead for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

poor game, outside the goals i cannot remember a great chance chelsea had, but then thats chelsea

liverpool back playing to what they were in january/february again it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Giving Hilario man of the match suggests pool were raining in shots all day:confused:

Ashley Cole was great today and i reckon he deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just dont get Rafa, Leave one of our best players this season on the bench, chasing one goal and brings on a LB. What was that all about. Liverpool got spanked today against a trademark chelsea performance, Drogba was too much to handle for Carra which seems to be a recurring trend with him. Dissapointed to be beaten, but deserved little from the game TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Headshot wrote: »
    when was the last time a team won the league with 3 loses so early on in the season

I couldnt hear it on sky sports(bloody phone call)

its never happened
    no team that has lost 3 of their first 8 have ever gone on to
    win the premiership is what they said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

delighted for anelka, guy has always been top class and had a bad rep hanging over him for ages, i think its fair to say hes found his home now at the bridge

I love Drogba but hates the way he acts sometime like today

If you want to talk about cheating, you need to look at actual fouls - how did masch not even get booked??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mailburner wrote: »
    its never happened
    no team that has lost 3 of their first 8 have ever gone on to
    win the premiership is what they said

cheers

its a very interesting stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

when was the last time a team won the league with 3 loses so early on in the season

I couldnt hear it on sky sports(bloody phone call)

Utd in 67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just dont get Rafa, Leave one of our best players this season on the bench, chasing one goal and brings on a LB. What was that all about. Liverpool got spanked today against a trademark chelsea performance, Drogba was too much to handle for Carra which seems to be a recurring trend with him. Dissapointed to be beaten, but deserved little from the game TBF.

Got spanked? Are you serious? That game could of gone either way.Maybe chelsea slightly deserved it but in no way did we get spanked.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Utd in 67

I knew i heard a date alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

When was Carra ever a high quality defender? He's (to steal a phrase from John Giles) a game lad, but imo always lacked a lot of key attributes that the best defenders have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Last team to come back from losing 3 of the first 8 games was Man Utd in 1967.Disappointed with the result today Liverpool did not do a lot wrong

Carr is a poor mans john Terry and he needs to be replaced if they are going to challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

cheers

its a very interesting stat

It is interesting but if you think about it for 30 seconds, it is just one of those stats that really means nothing.

I bet you there are teams that dropped more than 9 points in their opening 8 games and still went on to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Carr is a poor mans john Terry and he needs to be replaced if they are going to challenge

Carr for Ireland, tbh.

some people hate drogba but if you look away from him going down easy, he really is a top notch striker

excluding goals drogba brings more to a team than torres

When was Carra ever a high quality defender? He's (to steal a phrase from John Giles) a game lad, but imo always lacked a lot of key attributes that the best defenders have.

Would have the opposite view of him over the fast few years but there is no doubting that he is looking increasingly past it this season.

Looking forward to see Skrtel and Agger line up beside each other.

• Advertisement

This isn't Football Manager. Players don't have attribute ratings. Carra was a top class defender for the last few years because he consistently performed in matches. Few mistakes and some of the greatest defensive displays you'll ever see at the very highest level of the game. His time is coming to an end though

When was Carra ever a high quality defender? He's (to steal a phrase from John Giles)

Let me stop you right there....
    John Giles said...... :rolleyes:

Carra was always going to be the player who missed Alonso the most.
    Xabi was his 'cushion', very often dropped back to pick up the ball from Carra and take it forward.

Now he's gone, Carra's frailties are exposed. I love the guy but his form hasn't suddenly dipped this season. He's always had weaknesses, they're far more obvious now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Carr for Ireland, tbh.

City would never go for it.

Xabi was his 'cushion', very often dropped back to pick up the ball from Carra and take it forward.

Now he's gone, Carra's frailties are exposed. I love the guy but his form hasn't suddenly dipped this season. He's always had weaknesses, they're far more obvious now.

Thought Carra had a good first half, then got tired and sloppy.
    One thing that always annoys me with him is when he wins the ball back and then hoofs up the field, nearly every time. C'mon Aquilani, we need you ;)

• Advertisement

On a brighter note - i thought the midfield did very well today against probably the strongest physical midfield in Europe. Riera, Gerrard and Kuyt just didn't perform

On a brighter note - i thought the midfield did very well today against probably the strongest physical midfield in Europe. Riera, Gerrard and Kuyt just didn't perform

Thats 3 out of our 5 midfielders with Masch at fault for the first goal. Not that much of a brighter note ;) They did ok but to beat Chelsea we needed to be all over them, something we didnt do enough of in the 2nd half. Leaving Benny out is still annoying me and bring on Aurellio chasing 1 goal at the time has left me puzzled....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Really pissed off with that result.

One nagging thing too, ****in Gerrard taking corners! STOP IT! Ugh.

Thats 3 out of our 5 midfielders with Masch at fault for the first goal. Not that much of a brighter note ;) They did ok but to beat Chelsea we needed to be all over them, something we didnt do enough of in the 2nd half. Leaving Benny out is still annoying me and bring on Aurellio chasing 1 goal at the time has left me puzzled....

I meant our central midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Xabi was the cushion, as you put it, for a lot more than Carragher. Futhermore it is not just Carragher who is having some of his frailties exposed this season in my opinion.

Aqulani will have to hit the ground running too imho, as I reckon there is already an unrealistic expectation on the lad to be a world class attacking midfielder with comparisons to the likes of Kaka, in terms of play, being made over the last four weeks in the Liverpool megathread.

All in all, a bad day at the office today, time to look forward now to Sunderland and, with luck, three points.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Xabi was the cushion, as you put it, for a lot more than Carragher. Futhermore it is not just Carragher who is having some of his frailties exposed this season in my opinion.

Aqulani will have to hit the ground running too imho, as I reckon there is already an unrealistic expectation on the lad to be a world class attacking midfielder with comparisons to the likes of Kaka, in terms of play, being made over the last four weeks in the Liverpool megathread.

All in all, a bad day at the office today, time to look forward now to Sunderland and, with luck, three points.

A Liverpool fan likened Aquilani to Kaka? I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I fecking hate Drogba! :mad:

I was a very open game, it could have gone either way (Liverpool could have had a penalty when Drogba pulled down Skrtel)

I hate to say it but Carra is looking shakey, but then again Skrtel isn't covering himself in glory.

I thought Lucas and Masch did reasonably well (well except for Masch gifting Chelsea the 1st)

Gerrard looked lost, which worries me....

YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Should be an interesting few weeks ahead for Liverpool. Some tough games coming up, and with Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/City all picking up points regulary it might get messy ;)

A Liverpool fan likened Aquilani to Kaka? I very much doubt it.

I don't.

He was likened to Kaka in terms of style of play and influence on his team. There were even youtube videos put up.

My point is that in some quarters of Liverpool fans there seems to be too much expectation on Aqulani being the one that pulls things together for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Pity about the result but overall the lads played pretty well. What can be said about Dropba. Disgrace of a man.
    1241675565830.jpg

• Advertisement

Aqulani will have to hit the ground running too imho, as I reckon there is already an unrealistic expectation on the lad to be a world class attacking midfielder

Oh I agree with you, Xabi was my favourite player and I was gutted when he left. I just don't think Carra has suddenly become a crap player.

As for Aquilani, well there sure are massive expectations on his shoulders that he'll rescue Liverpool's season.

I don't.

He was likened to Kaka in terms of style of play and influence on his team. There were even youtube videos put up.

My point is that in some quarters of Liverpool fans there seems to be too much expectation on Aqulani being the one that pulls things together for the team.

lol

Oh I agree with you, Xabi was my favourite player and I was gutted when he left. I just don't think Carra has suddenly become a crap player.
    As for Aquilani, well there sure are massive expectations on his shoulders that he'll rescue Liverpool's season.

I don't think he is a crap player, but I do think there has been a very noticeable decline in his abilities over the last 18 months.

I really do think that he needs to become the third choice centreback asap. That way when he does play he should be rested and raring to go.

lol

Why the LOL?

People were putting up clips of the guy trying to make out that he was some kind of second coming. Pretty much any player can be made to look good with a youtube compilation, so in this case I thought it a bit unfair on Aqulani as it only heightened the expectation on the lad, maybe to an unrealistic level.

Why the LOL?

People were putting up clips of the guy trying to make out that he was some kind of second coming. Pretty much any player can be made to look good with a youtube compilation, so in this case I thought it a bit unfair on Aqulani as it only heightened the expectation on the lad.

i must of read your first post wrong them, apology

because i agree with the bold

i must of read your first post wrong them, apology

because i agree with the bold

No harm, no foul. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Would rub it in but a Pool fan poseted that great Lehman Drogba tussle so I dont have the heart.

All I will say is that if Liverpool don't get at least 1 top quality centre back they will never win the title again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Would rub it in but a Pool fan poseted that great Lehman Drogba tussle so I dont have the heart.

All I will say is that if Liverpool don't get at least 1 top quality centre back they will never win the title again

Never win a title again?! Bit overzealous don't ya think....never is a long time! Sure change is guaranteed in the next 2 years even, simply due to Carra's age. I could see that being Skrtel and Agger, but either way Rafa's always had a good eye for center backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Never win a title again?! Bit overzealous don't ya think....never is a long time! Sure change is guaranteed in the next 2 years even, simply due to Carra's age. I could see that being Skrtel and Agger, but either way Rafa's always had a good eye for center backs.

Well I meant this or the next season.I don't see how you could say he has an eye for centre backs though. I mean he signed Skrtel and Agger while we signed Alex, United signed Vidic and the Gunners got Vermaelen who are all better players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Well I meant this or the next season.I don't see how you could say he has an eye for centre backs though. I mean he signed Skrtel and Agger while we signed Alex, United signed Vidic and the Gunners got Vermaelen who are all better players

Rafa picked out Vidic, Parry fuked that up nicely. Vermaelen has only been there 5 minutes! Agger and Skrtel are still quality players picked up at bargain prices. Don't get me wrong, Alex and Vidic are quality, and Vermaelen looks good too, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Rafa can pluck decent CB's from relative obscurity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement