Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O' Briens Sandwich bar

Options
  • 02-10-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when O'Briens sandwich bar shut its door and is it opening somewhere else in town

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

If you are talking about the one in Athlone, didn't know it was shut, but if it is good riddance!!!!
    Customer service non existant
    Prices too high as per all O'Briens
    Small portions and don't ask for them to put on more topping/s (as the amount of ham or tuna etc they have put on wouldn't feed a mouse) they either charge you more or look at you as if you have 3 heads.

And if you try and give them constructive feedback forget it you are wasting your own breath, time and energy.

Would never darken their door again.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Went into Obriens yesterday (in Dublin)....11 euro for a bottle of water (small bottle), sandwich and a small cookie.:eek:

Lol I can get lunch in a Michelin star restaurant for 25 euro......no wonder their going out of business.

ps: I have no problems spending that much either if its good stuff but Obriens sambos are ridiculously overpriced for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

The one in Athlone is still running the one in Mullingar is shut
    I did not think there were that pricy in Mullingar although I rearly went in
    Staff in Mullingar were very nice anytime I was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

Have to agree, I was sorry to see the one in Mullingar closed. Had been in it once or twice when I was down. HUGE portions and good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most branches of O'Briens are franchise operations so it's not very fair to tar them all with the one brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've always found the girls in O' Briens (Athlone) nice and friendly. Portions were grand and if there was ever a mistake or something wrong, it's sorted out quickly. Maybe it's hit and miss for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

And now they have gone into liquidation.

Is that liquidation or receivership they're gone into?

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Is that liquidation or receivership they're gone into?

Think it was the rte website that reported liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 denmcn

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    I've always found the girls in O' Briens (Athlone) nice and friendly. Portions were grand and if there was ever a mistake or something wrong, it's sorted out quickly. Maybe it's hit and miss for people?

Well its a hit with me anyway - I find the girls very friendly, the portions are big and the place is always clean....hope they dont close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

yep its closed - they are doing some work on it at the moment - so maybe new place will open

are you sure it's closed, I'm pretty sure it was open when I passed it today, saying that, I was driving and the windows were a bit foggy.

yup confirmed still open, was in there for lunch yesterday.

This is interesting so!
    Taken from Wikipedia -
    "In June 2009, the company announced that its UK business went into administration, and in July 2009, the Irish business entered examinership. The court was told the chain would close an unspecified amount of its 85 stores in Ireland to ease its debt of more than €4 million. On 7 October 2009 it was announced O'Briens Irish Sandwich Bars, which employs 800 people in Ireland, has gone into liquidation."

It was actually sold as a going concern iirc. It was bought by Abrakebabra Investments. So there ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I noticed about 2 weeks ago in Stillorgan Shopping Centre that O'Briens have removed their livery / signage from the cafe there - is that the only such one? whats the deal with that?

another thing i dont like about them - they say handcut sandwiches - yet bread comes from sliced pans and are cut in half when made as per any sandwich maker

also - they say gourmet coffee - isnt that term gourmet normally associated with food!??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I noticed about 2 weeks ago in Stillorgan Shopping Centre that O'Briens have removed their livery / signage from the cafe there - is that the only such one? whats the deal with that?

another thing i dont like about them - they say handcut sandwiches - yet bread comes from sliced pans and are cut in half when made as per any sandwich maker

also - they say gourmet coffee - isnt that term gourmet normally associated with food!??

english speaking people misuse french, spanish and italian words all the fecking time so dont worry about that part as for the shop operating without the sings, must have been a franchice that just didnt renew its licence and is sorting its own suppliers etc now.

Advertisement