Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-Coli and Pregnancy

• 02-10-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

About 2 weeks ago the missus and myself went for a bite to eat in a cafe\bar on George's St.

She ordered a burger and noticed the meat was pinkish in the middle, she wasn't too hungry and left most of it anyway.

Next day she's having bad stomach cramps. At the time she was officially 6 weeks pregnant.

We put it down to morning sickness. The following Tuesday night I had to rush her down to A&E as things weren't getting any better.

They did scans and tests and it turned out she had an E-Coli infection and was prescribed anti-biotics.

She was in at the GP's this morning and we asked the locum (not the regular practise GP) could the e-coli infection have been caused by food poisoning.

The locum said no emphatically and that is related to the urinary tract.

Now, I know most GPs must roll their eyes skyward when it comes to their patients self-diagnosing on the Internet, but I can't get over the fact that the stand-in GP stated that e-Coli couldn't be caused by food poisoning...WTF?!?...this shows otherwise, especially with ground-beef.

Sorry for the rant, it's been a long week and she's really going through the grinder with morning sickness and tiredness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We've all seen the Dettol ads, of course E-Coli can cause food poisoning. E-Coli is often the cause of a urinary tract infection too. Were the cramps accompanied by severe diahorrea and vomitting? This would be very suggestive of food poisoning, although not conclusive!

As long as your GF was put on the right antibiotics for the infection and both she and the baby are well now, surely thats all that matters?

Advertisement