Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning an item

Options
  • 02-10-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I recently purchased an item from a sports shop and I would like to return it.
    There is nothing wrong with the item.

What rights do I have? Am I entitled to a cash refund or is it entirely up to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If there is nothing wrong with the item and you simply don't want it having bought it, you have no rights. The contract is complete, the shop has no obligation to accept it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have no consumer rights (as laid down in law) in this situation.

However, the shop may have a returns policy, whereby they will refund you within a certain period of time, providing the item is returned in saleable condition.

The Refund policy is usually listed on the back of the receipt, so look there. If not, head back to the shop, and ask nicely for a refund.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's in the Sticky.

Does anyone even bother with the stickies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    ask nicely for a refund.
    Thats the key, I am nice as pie and don't think I ever was refused some sort of settlement, be it credit note, vouchers etc.

Remember they have made a sale and have made a profit, if you ask for cash you are effectively asking to take back that profit. If you are selecting another item or getting a voucher they are only losing out on the restocking cost, but they also value their own goodwill in these situations, and the potential of a returning customer, word of mouth etc.

I buy from argos mainly due to their returns policy, and HMV. I got a cash refund for a cd that was about 2 years old in HMV, but I am not telling how!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

parsi wrote: »
    Does anyone even bother with the stickies ?

No.

It's grand now. I got my money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement