Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gah! UPS

Options
  • 02-10-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

A delivery guy just came to the door from ups and was asking for €27.36... I knew there could be some charges but the item only cost €46.09 how the hell can it be more than 50% charges!? :mad: :( I didn't have money/check on me so he said he'll be back monday...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the price of the item wasn't marked on the package, then customs will have examined it and priced it themselves and then charged duty based on that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He should provide you with a Duty/VAT invoice detailing the breakdown.

I'm chasing DHL myself at the moment for a detailed breakdown of the delivery costs on a recent package. Still haven't gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

dudara wrote: »
    He should provide you with a Duty/VAT invoice detailing the breakdown.

I'm chasing DHL myself at the moment for a detailed breakdown of the delivery costs on a recent package. Still haven't gotten it.

This is what the invoice that he handed me said:
    Freight
    Vat 10.96
    Duty
    Insurance
    Surcharges
    Other Charges 13.50
    Government charges

total charges 24.46
    Vat amount 2.90
    Total ammount Due 27.36

I'm a bit confused about the "other charges" and how they got it up to more than 50% of what it is worth.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A quick search around reveals it:

UPS charge that €13.50 "Administration" fee. They basically charge you €13.50 for the "service" of prepaying your customs duty for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

seamus wrote: »
    A quick search around reveals it:

UPS charge that €13.50 "Administration" fee. They basically charge you €13.50 for the "service" of prepaying your customs duty for you.

Ok... that seriously sucks... :( Guess I'll just have to pay it.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Id question that too as service vat should be charged at 13.5% not 21.5% which is on that invoice. Just to be clear the vat at the top is fine its the bottom vat thats 21.5% which is added on the "other charges"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Correct, that bottom VAT amount of 2.90 should be 1.82. Not a big difference, but why should you pay a false VAT amount. You could report the invoice to Revenue if you wanted, as UPS are overcharging on VAT. Their accounts department needs a good kicking.

Your other option is to not pay anything, and have the package returned. Probably not much of an option, but it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noelpbrowne

I had a parcel delivered from Chinavision to Ireland yesterday. The driver called and said there was a €24.04 euro customs charge and give a credit card no. This I did and he left a receipt. VAT 7.64, Other charges 13.50, Total 21.14, VAT amount 2.90, Total amount 24.04.
    As it turned out, they took down the credit card details incorrectly so they rang me today, now I had a chance to ask the questions. Eventually he told me it is a 'customs clearance' charge that goes to UPS and not to customs. I also pointed out that I thought the 21.5% charge was wrong and should be at 13%. He said thats the way it always was. I corrected the details he had on the card and paid the 24.04. He also told me that revenue/customs were very interested in items coming from Chinavision and that they had a load of stuff to be checked by customs. I don't know if this is true or not but I will not be using UPS again.
    Noel P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

the vat on the goods was €10.94
    The customs charge is €13.50
    vat on customs charge is €2.90

The €13.50 customs charge is quite good - if you were bringing in a larger item by a standard frieight company it would be about €45.

Advertisement