Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deliberately increase the size of PDF's

Options
  • 02-10-2009 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I currently use PrimoPDF and am curious to know are there easy ways of increasing PDF size - I was thinking of just putting a really high resolution photo hidden behind the background of each page - I'm doing it as one of a number of preventative measures against illegal distribution - as the PDF's are delivered on a DVD disk I want to make them pretty large so that they are not easily emailed around.

I am aware of standard methods of keeping resolutions high but was curious if there is even a program (does not necesarily have to be free) that can just make them bigger.

Edit: And by bigger I mean taking say a 350k file and making it 10 megabytes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

not sure about that idea tbh, one thing I've seen done with some ebooks is the licensed name appearing on each page of the pdf, that way if someone shares it their name is on every page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Truss

Yeah that is another method we are doing to trace any illegal distribution - trying a few methods and considering you can't remove the "Attach to Email..." option from PDF's we thought it might be prudent to deliberately provide the PDF's with high file sizes to reduce this or make it as much of a pain as possible - intially were going to put the eBooks on CD's but will now be putting them on DVD's to deliberately increase their size.

Will keep looking around and post a solution here if I find one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The problem is that such huge sizes become a major annoyance for your customers also.

Not for the type of eBooks we are providing - business has not yet gone live so won't get into it but that will not be an issue - testing has shown people had no issues with file size.

But appreciate the advice, always good to hear opinions, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Truss wrote: »
    Not for the type of eBooks we are providing - business has not yet gone live so won't get into it but that will not be an issue - testing has shown people had no issues with file size.

But appreciate the advice, always good to hear opinions, thanks!

I'd recommend against putting high res images in the background. If there is too much to load some computers will struggle to load each page quickly. Most will be fine but those who don't have up to date computers will struggle with the file size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Truss wrote: »
    I currently use PrimoPDF and am curious to know are there easy ways of increasing PDF size - I was thinking of just putting a really high resolution photo hidden behind the background of each page - I'm doing it as one of a number of preventative measures against illegal distribution - as the PDF's are delivered on a DVD disk I want to make them pretty large so that they are not easily emailed around.

I am aware of standard methods of keeping resolutions high but was curious if there is even a program (does not necesarily have to be free) that can just make them bigger.

Edit: And by bigger I mean taking say a 350k file and making it 10 megabytes
    Not really familiar with PrimoPdf as an app. But have you tried saving the PDF's for print in the save as options. This should make them quite large. See how that goes. Other than that be creative and combine several pdfs into one larger file for the cd.

Pretty impossible to stop a determined hacker really but the above might make things a bit more difficult.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cant you add passwords to PDFs?

I'm sure in work we have done this so that the first page is viewable and need a password to view/print off the rest

When creating the PDF's we're making sure they are created with 600dpi to increase size to a reasonable level without being too nasty on load times, they are being imprinted with each individual purchasers name and they are also being password protected - cheers for all the advice. :D

Advertisement