Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Better or For Worse? - Technology

• 02-10-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

So as we're all glued to our computer screens at the moment reading this thread do you think we would be better off with or without technology or do you love your 42" flatscreen HD ready Samsung TV?

Is it the ruination of our society? Have we lost all perception of whats really important? Or is technology really what's important.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

The past 50 - 100 years is defined by technology. Up until then they had the wheel and steam. Advances in tecnology have led to improved lifestyles and productivity. I can't even imagine what my job would be like without the old PC. I'd go through some amount of tipp-ex.

That or its all witchcraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Strangely enough ...I remember life and work before such things as internet and e-mail, fax machines or even pocket calculators, for that matter.
    We actually coped :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't have a 42" flatscreen HD ready Samsung TV :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

It certainly the ruination of what was society, what would your life be like without a mobile phone, internet or decent music players.

Society is in flux and todays technology wil be redundant in 30 years time and Society as we know it now will be gone with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technology has always changed society. The steam train turned journeys from a number of days into mere hours. The telegraph & telephone allowed news to start on its journey towards instantaiety. The humble bicycle allowed people to make journeys in a quarter of the time for very little cost. There was a time when a trip to the United States was done by boat and you took a number of months out of your life to do so. Now we spend weekends in New York.

All in all, technology always has and continues to make us more sociable and more in contact with the rest of the human race than was ever possible before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Technology is wonderful, the world now constantly talks to us.

This morning, my alarm clock told me it was time to get up.
    My toaster told me my toast was ready
    My radio told me what was going on in the world
    My e-mail told me what my day entailed
    My car told me how much diesel i had left
    And my bedside lamp told me to kill prostitutes.

I love technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

peasant wrote: »
    Strangely enough ...I remember life and work before such things as internet and e-mail, fax machines or even pocket calculators, for that matter.
    We actually coped :D

Seriously? How? It must`ve been dangerous with all those candles though?

most definately for better.. how the hell people managed on nights out is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Like everything it has it's pros and cons.

The thing I like least about technology is that social gatherings are getting rarer and instead of face to face meetings people opt for the less personal text message or facebook message. It's terrible for teenagers today as most have no idea how to have a proper conversation and have no confidence to speak pubicly in front of a crowd after sitting indoors beboing all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RHunce wrote: »
    So as we're all glued to our computer screens at the moment reading this thread do you think we would be better off with or without technology or do you love your 42" flatscreen HD ready Samsung TV?

Is it the ruination of our society? Have we lost all perception of whats really important? Or is technology really what's important.

No,I much prefer my 50" Full HD TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

jackncoke wrote: »
    No,I much prefer my 50" Full HD TV

Aldi brands don't qualify as being any good, I'm sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Aldi brands don't qualify as being any good, I'm sorry

No aldi brand for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I love my laptop,camera and the xbox and that's about it.
    Not too fussed about other gadgets,got a nice mobile as a present but really couldn't care less if I had a brick.
    There's a tiny telly in my sitting room,(not flatscreen or hd),
    no sky plus box,
    no ipod(never wanted one)
    no fancy sound system etc.

I like the above things,but would buy alot of other things before even considering them.

I think technology is very important,and it's advances are seen everywhere in our everyday lives.
    I especially think advances in medical technology are brilliant.

The bad thing about some technology's are that they can become very addictive,like the internet and games consoles.
    Sometimes I waste hours on them,when I really should be doing other things.

Although I can see all the good things associated with sites like bebo/facebook etc., I have seen people obsessed with them,and I do think they could damage face to face communication skills in some people.
    I never opened an account with them,but am becoming quite hooked on boards! :-)

Alot of gadgets that are trendy now,I don't have and don't really want them,
    I'm happy enough as I am.

Technology is good when it doesn't interfer with social interactions,
    or isn't used as a superficial competition between neighbours/friends over who has the best phone/biggest telly/newest ipod etc.
    That's so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Without Technology I'd have never have found out what a Tracker Mortgage was.

i like my old 14 inch tv

and it's important for freeing up time from menial tasks to do more of whatever we want
    travel chat , not spend hours cooking

Advertisement