Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on Commissioners Guidelines

Options
  • 02-10-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I have checked numerous threads to make sure I am not repeating ....so here I go.

1 have 2 pistols - a 9mm and .22. Both Sig semi-auto. Both licenced pre Nov 08. Member of a licensed range, safety courses, House security as per the SI, no mental issues etc... The Guidelines issued by Fachtna say;

"No new applications shall be considered for these restricted short firearms (other than for a short firearm for which the applicant held a firearm certificate for it on or before November 2008"

Am I right in saying the application may be considered but may be treated like some of the guys in previous posts where the Super is trying to introduce his own ban?

Basically its going to be a lottery whether I keep my firearms or not and it depends on the local Super or Chief? Is this more or less correct?

Apologies to all for going over old ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Basicly, yes.
    Pre-Nov '08, it's the decision of your local Super for the .22 and the Chief Super (acting for the Commissioner) for the 9mm.
    Post-Nov '08, they don't get a choice, your application isn't allowed by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Many thanks Sparks.

Finally has anyone got a thumbs up yet for a pistol (.22 or 9mm) that you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Basicly, yes.
    Pre-Nov '08, it's the decision of your local Super for the .22 and the Chief Super (acting for the Commissioner) for the 9mm.
    Post-Nov '08, they don't get a choice, your application isn't allowed by law.
    Not quite. Pre Nov '08 (in reality pre Aug '09) most of the restricted firearms legislation wasn't commenced so in practice your local Super made the decision on all firearms.

Now, it's the Super for unrestricted and the Chief Super for restricted.

As for the other threads where people are running into problems, these are a bit more basic than just to do with pistols. Mostly they are problems with understanding of the system and the new legislation.

And I wouldn't be calling it a lottery. Supers who are having problems with implementing the law will be given all the assistance they need. By the courts if necessary :rolleyes:

Advertisement