Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in theatres

Options
  • 02-10-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi I am wondering could anybody help me with this,

I would really like to apply for jobs in theatres around dublin. I have experience back stage in numerous shows already (all with childrens variety groups).

I have also co-directed and co-produced shows for my secondary school a few years ago.

I have looked online but not sure how to go about applying for jobs in theatres. I would do concession stand work at first if I have to haha I just want to be apart of the theatre :)

Cheers,
    Jaynie :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alex22

Hi Jaynie,

Not sure the exact way, but maybe map-out all the theatres arrange an appointment and drop in with a specific proposal (i.e. I wanna do this and that for X amount of time and my goal is to...) If you knock enough doors with a specific idea of what you can give, it will work. Although I'd be weary of offering pro-bono work without trying out getting paid work first.

Regards,

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Hi Jaynie,

As said by alex, it depends on what you want to do. Identify your goals, and your specific talents, "I have experience backstage/sidestage/in the box" tells me nothing about your talents and your preferred direction. Many people work freelance or with theatre companies, you will prob get more hands on (unpaid) experience if you research these. You could also look at college drama societies and musical societies
    Be persistent and make yourself available to the people who do the type of work you want to do. There are lots of opportunities out there. Ask questions of anyone who will open a door to you, even if they don't give you exactly what you want at first

C

Advertisement