Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlas tyres - Full service from €100

• 02-10-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on my SNB. Had a quick look, but couldn't find it posted. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Dont see why these tyre centres are servicing cars when all there qualified to do is fit tyres :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Alz® wrote: »
    Dont see why these tyre centres are servicing cars when all there qualified to do is fit tyres :rolleyes:

All they are qualified to do is fit tyres? Where are you getting this from?

I've got some work done on a catalytic converter in Atlas Kylemore and found them to be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I used the one just down the road from the KCR,
    I found them excellent, the car was ready when they said it was, they were helpful and polite which was a nice change, what impressed me most though was the airbag light was on in my car and they reset that free of charge and my hazard light was broken and they took it apart and fixed it free of charge too, VW wanted €80 to reset the airbag and said the hazard was €30 parts and €65 labour. So I'm very happy to recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

You have to ask yourself though what quality the engine oil and parts are if they are able to do a full service for 99 euro and turn over some profit??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You have to ask yourself though what quality the engine oil and parts are if they are able to do a full service for 99 euro and turn over some profit??????????

You have to ask what the main dealers are charging for oil, a filter and a walk around. Chances they are all buying their oil from the same source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

+1

VW said the "full service" for a car with 25k miles was €350
    then he proceeded to tell me that I should also change the brake fluid which was another €80, I asked why was it called a full service if it didn't include the brake fluid, he didn't have an answer just that was the price.

Point being if you are driving a BMW M5 or another high performance engine you should indeed be concerned about the oil you are putting in but if you are driving a 05 hatchback I think you're safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Oil and parts are not all the same. The last time i got a 4 litre can of Castrol oil it was 32 euro approximately, there are cheaper oils available. Maybe i am in the minority but i would not put inferior oils or parts into my car.You get what you pay for

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you get what you pay for
    I would say that you don't get more than you pay for, sometimes you get less.

How did they explain €80 for brake fluid :eek:

I could understand it if there were pads. On most cars it's not a hour long job, brake fluid isn't that expensive is it ?
    And as for labour of testing the brakes afterwards (if they do it) the NCT can do a full car test for far less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Oil and parts are not all the same. The last time i got a 4 litre can of Castrol oil it was 32 euro approximately, there are cheaper oils available. Maybe i am in the minority but i would not put inferior oils or parts into my car.You get what you pay for

4 gallons of Castrol oil will end up cheaper per litre though. All cars have a recommended oil or a standard that the oil should meet (or in VAG cases, multiple standards) - unless the place doing the service is a real cowboy outfit, you will get the correct oil for your car. I think that the vw dealers use castrol slx 2 (longlife) for all the diesels - now that has been superceeded by castrol edge - the dealer aint going to throw out all his SLX2 oil.

Just because you are charged more, doesnt mean a better service or better quality - a good indy probably takes more time and is more conscientious than the guys doing your service at the dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

I got a service with atlas tyres. There was a lot of oil leaking from the engine so they said they tightened up the bolts around it & to come back if it keeps leaking.
    When i came back they said it was leaking oil from where the head gasket met the engine block. They said the last similar job they did was 800 euro. After 2 weeks i didn't manage to get a full quote off them even after 4 calls. I went to another garage to find the camshaft valve was loose & that's where the leak was from.
    242.89 euro to fix a job Atla Tyres wanted to charge 800.
    I'll never use them again! Scam Artists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Full service kit for my focus : 4 x ford branded plugs @2.50each, ford branded oil filter €4.50, Ford Branded air Filter, €6.50, castrol magnetec oil 5Liter €15.00

All the above at trade prices..

Most one - two man indy garages would do ya a service for €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Armadillo444

You guys are fooling yourselves. If a tyre outfitter who cannot even properly balance a wheel, are offering a full service for €100 then go for it, you will get exactly what you pay for. PM me for good second hand engine suppliers when your crankshaft expires afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Armadillo444

Full service kit for my focus : 4 x ford branded plugs @2.50each, ford branded oil filter €4.50, Ford Branded air Filter, €6.50, castrol magnetec oil 5Liter €15.00

Have you any idea of the cost of rates, public liability and general over heads, for even a small garage these days? Any qualified person servicing a car will charge double this unless you are supporting the black economy, which in my experience, has seen warranty not covered on cars, or worse, you pays your money and takes your chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have you any idea of the cost of rates, public liability and general over heads, for even a small garage these days? Any qualified person servicing a car will charge double this unless you are supporting the black economy, which in my experience, has seen warranty not covered on cars, or worse, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Yes i am, both my father and brother are mechanics, and a few of my mates are mechanics that own their own business's in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Well the Atlas lads in Jobstown didnt even bother changing the wipers on my girlfriends car.The wiper blade had actually slipped of a bit and they didint even try to fix it or change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I had the mis-fortune of having to use the atlas beside the skylon hotel.....clueless shower of *******!had to pay another garage to sort out their mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

cronin_j wrote: »
    Yes i am, both my father and brother are mechanics, and a few of my mates are mechanics that own their own business's in this area.

no disrespect to the poster intended, but when i read this it brought the following scene to mind...

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechmycousinvinny4.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

trad wrote: »
    You have to ask what the main dealers are charging for oil, a filter and a walk around. Chances they are all buying their oil from the same source.

Yes indeed, they purchase the oil in huge drums quite cheap too and charge us at the normal very over the top price per liter

Advertisement